Player registrations for upcoming season

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Soon we need to submit our 25man squad list to the PL. 8 must be ‘homegrown’

Based on the current squad I think we’re sitting at 26 so someone has to miss out. Perhaps a keeper will go on loan or released?

cyberman

I think we get extra time to finalise the squad? Probably waiting until we see who we can sign first.
Its kind of weird that this is a big deal on here, don't most clubs touch the squad limit?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
From 2018-19 registered squad list

Bailly, Eric Bertrand
Darmian, Matteo
De Gea Quintana, David
Grant, Lee Anderson*
Hoelgebaum Pereira, Andreas Hugo*
Jones, Philip Anthony*
Lindelof, Victor Jorgen Nilsson
Lingard, Jesse Ellis*
Lukaku, Romelu Menama*
Martial, Anthony Joran
Mata Garcia, Juan Manuel
Matic, Nemanja
McTominay, Scott*
Pogba, Paul Labile*
Rojo, Faustino Marcos Alberto
Romero, Sergio German
Sanchez, Alexis
Santos, Frederico Rodrigues De Paula
Shaw, Luke Paul Hoare*
Smalling, Christopher*
Young, Ashley Simon*

This is excluding Fellaini, Herrera and Valencia.

That's 21 players. This year we have added AWB, Daniel James, Tuanzebe and Rashford. That's 25.

Also this is excluding Joel Pereira who wasn't included last season. So if we sign anyone, we have to leave few players from the registration squad (If we fail to offload them).

DoomSlayer

Based on the current squad I think we’re sitting at 26 so someone has to miss out. Perhaps a keeper will go on loan or released?
Joel Pereira will go on loan or be sold, in my opinion.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Pre-season is finishing. The player who gets hired will be here without doing the pre-season with his team mates. This can be a disadvantage.

DoomSlayer

I’d imagine so if Henderson is the next big hope. Romero is obviously undisputed number 2
Yeah, we also have Grant so Pereira is the one that can be easily sacrificed. Hasn't really shown much on his loan spells so it would be best to move him on, for both parties.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are the likes of Tuanzebe, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Garner at an age where they need to be registered? I cant remember the rule about that?

Havak

Pokemon master
I'd assume if we signed Maguire and someone else, it means we have to sell/loan/not register 2-3 players? It'll be interesting to see if Darmian and one of the CB's aren't registered in our 25-man squad, as they are probably the 'favourites' to leave.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'd assume if we signed Maguire and someone else, it means we have to sell/loan/not register 2-3 players? It'll be interesting to see if Darmian and one of the CB's aren't registered in our 25-man squad, as they are probably the 'favourites' to leave.
Yeah, I did a 'thought thread' on twitter

Personally I'd offload Grant/Joel, Rojo, Darmian and either sell Bailly or loan Tuanzebe. The injury to Bailly has screwed the last bit up. I wouldn't have given Mata an extension either and tried to blood in Gomes in the Europa League before he left on a free.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ok so I would say the squad will be

De Gea
Romero
Grant

AWB
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Shaw
Young
Bailly
Smalling
Jones

Rojo
Darmian

Pogba
Matic
McTominay
Andreas

Mata
Lingard

Rashford
Martial
Lukaku
Sanchez

That's 23 so still room for a few more (unless I've missed anyone obvious?). This is on the understanding that the likes of Dalot, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood dont need to be registered? Pretty sure all the bolded ones are eligible to be classed as home grown

EDIT: Oh well that was pointless wasn't it :(

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City

Personally I'd offload Grant/Joel, Rojo, Darmian and either sell Bailly or loan Tuanzebe. The injury to Bailly has screwed the last bit up. I wouldn't have given Mata an extension either and tried to blood in Gomes in the Europa League before he left on a free.
Going by that thread of yours, when did City bought out someone from his contract to free up a spot? Genuinely asking, because I can't remember such a case for some time now...

Havak

Pokemon master

I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard that Tuanzebe is determined to fight for a place in the squad rather than go on loan this season. We'll see if that changes, but I'm thinking/hoping this is the case and it's a departure of Bailly that comes first. As you say, the injury is unfortunate as he looked OK in pre-season and it might have been easier to sell him. He has the least amount of years on his contract (out of our CB's) and is looking like as much of a sick note as Jones & Rojo. I think we will at least sell one of Bailly / Rojo if we can find a buyer and Darmian has to go as well. Lastly I'd assume that Joel Pereira goes on loan and we use our three experienced keepers again for the coming season. This alone allows us to bring in our two signings that we're all probably hoping is the minimum amount of business we do.

I can't see us doing too much else, so Darmian, Bailly/Rojo, and J.Pereira (Loan) is what I expected, with Maguire +1 coming in.

The future is a bit easier as Grant & Young will be out of contract and I'd think not offered an extension and whoever didn't leave from Bailly/Rojo would probably be sold as well. Sanchez, Andreas, Matic and Mata would be at risk of departure, along with the usual Pogba rumours. I think all of this is Summer 2020 business though, we're going into the coming season with Grant and one of Bailly/Rojo included IMO, but it's not something I'm happy about.

Also, interestingly enough our confirmed squad for the trip to Norway doesn't include Darmian. There is no official reason given for this as far as I'm aware. Alexis and Lukaku are stated as injured. Darmian is not injured as far as I know - I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something about an exit for him soon.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
Going by that thread of yours, when did City bought out someone from his contract to free up a spot? Genuinely asking, because I can't remember such a case for some time now...
Ah feck, I remembered it wrong. Thought Kolarov went to Roma on a free during that summer when he, Clichy and Zabaleta left along with loads of other players but it was a small price instead.

Although I got that bit wrong, you don't really see that much of a turnover in players in one window at other clubs.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Ah feck, I remembered it wrong. Thought Kolarov went to Roma on a free during that summer when he, Clichy and Zabaleta left along with loads of other players but it was a small price instead.

Although I got that bit wrong, you don't really see that much of a turnover in players in one window at other clubs.
Yes, Guardiola was in a way lucky that summer that he didn't really need to care about the payroll as it freed up itself. While the transfer fees were extraordinary, I think it's becoming clear now that even at City this won't necessarily be the norm these days...

Then again, no one forced Woodward and co. to extend / exercise options on players such as Darmian and Rojo. :lol:

Damien

Staff
Yes, Guardiola was in a way lucky that summer that he didn't really need to care about the payroll as it freed up itself. While the transfer fees were extraordinary, I think it's becoming clear now that even at City this won't necessarily be the norm these days...

Then again, no one forced Woodward and co. to extend / exercise options on players such as Darmian and Rojo. :lol:
Annoying thing about Rojo was at the time he was a favourite of Mourinho's. He then ended up being injured for a large part of the next season. As a club we're a bit too obsessed with the +1 option, which is nice for keeping hold of players like Paul Pogba for a bit longer, but crap when we use it on players like Darmian when he could have left for a free this summer.

Bestietom

Think this is after deadline day.

Chipper

Adulterer.
So still 26 with Maguire coming and Lukaku leaving.

Probably means Joel Pereira is off on loan again somewhere.

Havak

Pokemon master
Fairly sure it'll be Joel Pereira. Slight chance of Darmian instead but will probably be easier to loan Joel out than get rid of Darmian.
Aye, it's the easiest thing to do and no point not registering senior players.

I will be surprised if we don't try and do some January business though, assuming no injury crisis this year it's very possible we sell Darmian or Rojo/Bailly if good enough offers come in. They could still go before the end of August mind, but I feel like the club loves to have 24-25 senior players to keep the squad depth there (regardless of whether we think they're good enough).

Mainoldo

I’ve been thinking when this was. Expect Martial to get 9 back. But that news probably would have been leaked already.