Player swaps

Red Royal

How does FFP deal with swaps? Extreme example if "officially' we swapped Pogba for say Bale (no cash on top) surely that would be dodgy...but how would ffp react.... just curious?

tjb

The way transfer fees are going, I think swaps will be the way of the future. Swaps, Free transfers , signing talented young players at youth level and developing from the academies. The market is far too inflated at the moment. It is now at a point that teams like arsenal and spurs can't even afford to buy other talents in the league.

NoFoxGiven

Supports
Leicester
I can see why you'd think swaps might become more popular due to inflated prices, but I don't really think it's a solution. If a club swaps a player for a PL player, they won't get them any cheaper.

Let's say a PL club cannot afford to buy other PL players currently. If there's a PL player they want, and they chose to swap for him, they'd have to give away a player the other club value equally, or pay the difference on top. They'd be just as well off to sell the player they were trying to give away in the swap deal in order to raise the funds they need to buy the player they want. Better off, in fact, as there may well be other clubs interested who would bid against each other to push the price up. Plus, it's still highly unlikely that a) two clubs want each other's player and want to let go of the one the other club want, and b) each player in the deal wants a move to the club in question.

The only solution for clubs priced out of the market is to shop down the leagues or abroad to get value for money. They'll still want to sell, rather than swap, to get the best value for their assets. Swap deals don't get you better value.

The over-inflation cannot go on forever. There's only a very limited number of clubs who can afford to buy PL players currently, and those clubs don't have a bottomless pit of cash. Every PL club has players they want to shift, so the prices have to hit a ceiling at some point, if only until real-world inflation catches up.

Reactions: nimic

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The way transfer fees are going, I think swaps will be the way of the future. Swaps, Free transfers , signing talented young players at youth level and developing from the academies. The market is far too inflated at the moment. It is now at a point that teams like arsenal and spurs can't even afford to buy other talents in the league.
Free transfers will be more likely I think.

The trick will be not to blow ludicrous beans, just before the whole market crashes down!

Gopher Brown

Free transfers will be more likely I think.

The trick will be not to blow ludicrous beans, just before the whole market crashes down!
That’s assuming the TV and advertising money will collapse also, which I’m not sure it shows any sign of doing. As long as clubs’ incomes are huge at the top, we’ll have these seemingly ridiculous transfer fees.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
How does FFP deal with swaps? Extreme example if "officially' we swapped Pogba for say Bale (no cash on top) surely that would be dodgy...but how would ffp react.... just curious?
Dunno what you're trying to say with that example, but FFP looks at the net sum, so a swap wouldn't make any difference. Let's say A + 50M = B, or A for 50M, and B for 100M. Same net sum.

passing-wind

Skriniar would have been an excellent swap with Inter but it seems he's settled in his environment. The only defender ideally I'd take after De Ligt who can commit years to the club.