Players being released on free transfers

Surprised CBJ hadnt capitalised on his first team outings and moved on by now. It was clear he would never make it here, but hes better than being released on a free to hawk himself around to whoever will take him.

edgecutter

Surprised CBJ hadnt capitalised on his first team outings and moved on by now. It was clear he would never make it here, but hes better than being released on a free to hawk himself around to whoever will take him.
Some people on reddit said that he had a bad attitude in the clubs that he went on loan to, could be bollocks, but it may be the reason he has struggled. I still think he will have a career but at league 1 level.

trajbu

Some people on reddit said that he had a bad attitude in the clubs that he went on loan to, could be bollocks, but it may be the reason he has struggled. I still think he will have a career but at league 1 level.
I guess that fact that Cameron was shifted from playing at United, one of the biggest clubs in the world at such a young age, and then moving to lower leagues clubs when he should have been making progress demotivated him. He seemed to have lost his way following his dismal loan experience at Leeds, which was never a good move, even when one considers our rivalry.

Despite being given an opportunity in the first team by LVG, in my opinion he did not have the potential to be a squad player let alone play for us week in week out. At times he looked lazy and not quick enough to respond to situations when playing for us. That said though, he could have easily managed a decent footballing career as a squad player with a mid-table Premier League club reaching a similar level to players such as Craig Cathcart.

Still gutted to see our youth players seemingly making it in the first team and then realising their dream is over.

Nick7

I guess that fact that Cameron was shifted from playing at United, one of the biggest clubs in the world at such a young age, and then moving to lower leagues clubs when he should have been making progress demotivated him. He seemed to have lost his way following his dismal loan experience at Leeds, which was never a good move, even when one considers our rivalry.

Despite being given an opportunity in the first team by LVG, in my opinion he did not have the potential to be a squad player let alone play for us week in week out. At times he looked lazy and not quick enough to respond to situations when playing for us. That said though, he could have easily managed a decent footballing career as a squad player with a mid-table Premier League club reaching a similar level to players such as Craig Cathcart.

Still gutted to see our youth players seemingly making it in the first team and then realising their dream is over.
It was the Wolves loan that started it, not Leeds. He started off at Wolves in the team making 5 or so appearances but was terrible and returned to us in the January. He's had three season long loans end in him returning to us in the January. It's more on him than the clubs that loaned him in.

spenzo

Not something we normally analyse but as far as a released list goes, this is one of the strongest ones I can think of.

It's a shame the way injuries have really hampered Mitchell's career so far. Supposed to have a fair few clubs interested and if he can stay fit I'd back him to have a good career. Much the same with a few of the other names on here too, all the best to them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Feels like I’ve been giving CBJ and Mitchell run outs on Fifa for donkeys.

Must be shit getting released after presumably feeling like you’re living the dream in the years before that.

khoazany

I thought Fojticek was highly rated?
Nope. Behind Kovar, Bishop, Carney in the pecking order now.

Harsh for O'Hara as he's been moving up leagues and playing for Ireland national team but I guess we finally decide that it's not worth retaining him over other GK talents at the club (Henderson, Kovar, Bishop etc).

Some League One club like Strewburry might take Barlow.

Last edited:

Fitchett

Competition is definitely hotting up amongst the youth ranks. Well done to the club on the restructuring of recruitment and development a few years ago. We've got some good prospects coming through.

Bwuk

CBJ put out a interesting statement on Instagram.

kundalini

What was it? Don't keep us in suspense man!
After 17 years at the club, it's time for me to leave Manchester United. Growing up as a kid from Manchester, all I wanted to do was play for United. To make my debut for the club I grew up supporting was a dream come true and a day that will stay in my heart forever.

I've had some great experiences, made some great friends and had the opportunity to play with/against great players. To that I owe a huge amount of gratitude to those members of the club that believed in me.

Likewise, I've had many negative experiences which in turn have become lessons, especially in recent years. It's revealed some truths in football that most people won't ever see. (In due time)

Lastly, I'd like to say a big thank you to all the fans who have supported me and those who still continue to do so. I appreciate you.

I'm looking forward to a new chapter that awaits me, wherever it may be

(apologies if my poor typing has resulted in any errors in CBJ's statement on Instagram)

Last edited:

RedTiger

Half mast
After 17 years at the club, it's time for me to leave Manchester United. Growing up as a kid from Manchester, all I wanted to do was play for United. To make my debut for the club I grew up supporting was a dream come true and a day that will stay in my heart forever.

I've had some great experiences, made some great friends and had the opportunity to play with/against great players. To that I owe a huge amount of gratitude to those members of the club that believed in me.

Likewise, I've had many negative experiences which in turn have become lessons, especially in recent years. It's revealed some truths in football that most people won't ever see. (In due time)

Lastly, I'd like to say a big thank you to all the fans who have supported me and those who still continue to do so. I appreciate you.

I'm looking forward to a new chapter that awaits me, wherever it may be

(apologies if my poor typing has resulted in any errors in CBJ's statement on Instagram)
Cheers mate

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Borthwick -Jackson looked like a cracking prospect at left back under van Gaal back in 2016. It's a shame injuries and failed loans killed his career.

I think if van Gaal had stayed the final year of his contract Borthwick-Jackson's career may have turned out differently. It was Jose who shifted Young to left back, I don't think LVG would have, and I think CBJ would have gotten a fair amount of game time.

Last edited:

diarm

The way modern football is - the money involved and the hype surrounding young players who are infinitely more visible than their counterparts in previous eras, is going to result in the waste of so much talent.

Young fellas who could get to the top are going to fail, not because they don't have the ability but because they get in their own way. You have 23 year olds who've achieved nothing, thinking the world needs to know what "truths" and wisdoms they have to offer on social media, rather than knuckling down and earning a career through hard work and dedication.

I know there are elements of the old days that everybody is glad to see left behind but at the same time, we need to explore ways to keep young players grounded and focused on their development as footballers first, and all the perks and advantages that come with being a footballer second.

Tarrou

Largie turned down a deal according to the MEN, and could be off to Almeria

I guess the success of Sancho and others leaving big teams for first team football is having quite an effect

SambaBoy

LB is a graveyard position in the youth for us. CBJ, Brady, Fryers, Blackett, Mitchell all hyped up and predicted to possibly have futures here at the club with all of the making first team appearances before going down the leagues and not making the grade. Same may have happen to Williams.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
That thread title.. Reminds me of playing FM, longing for that alert to pop up:lol:

Fitchett

Real shame, my favourite player in the unders before the drop off in form which was about the same time of the rumours
Yes, I liked watching him too. But I noticed that the coaches were repeatedly shouting instructions to him, in a match at Leigh Sports Village, something that they didn't do to other players.

Mickson

Yes, I liked watching him too. But I noticed that the coaches were repeatedly shouting instructions to him, in a match at Leigh Sports Village, something that they didn't do to other players.
He's also very small and has basically had only one good season. I think he would find it difficult at senior level actually. Good player, but doubt he would ever make it here. Especially with Chong and Greenwood as our youngsters coming through, and then eventually Elanga who I rate higher atm.