Players currently playing who you think could become good managers

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Based on nothing but gut feeling.

Scott McTominay - strikes me as a leader and one who would be passionate enough about the game to go into management. United has seen many great Scottish managers such as David Moyes to name but a few.

Juan Mata - his nice guy persona makes me think he would be a good man manager, he'd have great tactical awareness too.

Zlatan - I think he could lift any dressing room and would inspire, his confidence could be infectious.

Ander Herrera - similar to Mata but with a little more bite. He'd have the right mix of aggression and compassion which could help him in management.

Sergio Ramos - surely a future Madrid manager, he might be able to do it elsewhere too.

Mats Hummels - a good captain, well spoken, seems intelligent and I think he would do well in management

Van Dijk - he'll probably end up being like Vincent Kompany in management but he seems the right personality to do well in managment

Khalif_20

Pogba (charismatic, intelligent/multilingual, leader)

Rashford (hard-working, driven, empathetic)

Salah (charismatic, ambitious)

Chiellini (leader, driven, college degree)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agree with McTominay

bit left field but I think Fellaini. Lvg and Jose both spoke about him adapting to tactics quickly, good in training and being a good pupil.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
These are always hard to call as so much goes in to being a top manager that you can’t judge externally, but I will say I think Gary Cahill will go on to coach/manage at a high level. Top professional, very vocal on the pitch, born winner, level-headed, played under some fantastic managers...the building blocks are there.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Theoretically, Sergio Busquets should have a good chance as any — as a lot of building blocks are already in place.
  • Reads the game extremely well, and that ability should carry over into management.
  • Frequently the focal point and a trigger of his teams' structure.
  • Positionally immaculate, perfected the art of doing simple things and among the best understated organizers of this era.
  • Composed and calculating, even under pressure — and has an endless amount of big-match experience.
  • It's no coincidence that many of the great, great managers were holding/defensive midfielders of some sort — as the central cog position calls for a unique insight. e.g. Trapattoni or Guardiola.
  • Overcame physical limitations (like lack of blistering pace) with consistent intelligence and deliberate preparation.
  • Received one of the best educations in the contemporary era from a young age — should be well versed in positional play, pressing systems and so forth.
Johan Cruyff says: "He is a gift for any coach. The speed of his passing is perfect and he is the kind of player you don't need to explain anything to. You just put him in his position and he performs."
Guess the kinda-sorta negatives are that he might not be egoistical/raucous enough, too deferential at times, too fine-tuned to the environment of Barcelona instead of venturing out, and too submissive to rote instructions?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd look someone with characters.

- Bruno
- Henderson
- Fernandinho
- Giroud

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Herrera probably is a good call. Has the right combination of intelligence and combativeness that you'd think would work well as a manager, and also seems to be a student of the game. He's also played under Bielsa, LVG, Mourinho and now Tuchel. If I had to put money on any of our recent (post Fergie) players becoming a top manager it'd probably be him. Or maybe Schweinsteiger, but he's not currently playing so doesn't fit the OP's criteria.

Dozer

I could see Seamus Coleman doing it.

Ignoring the "good" part, Rooney is a shoo-in to manage eventually, probably at Derby. And I expect he'll be a short lived flop.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Sergio Ramos. He has quite literally been in every situation the game can offer as a player and won everything possible as a leader.

I could see him being really competitive and inspirational as a coach too

crossy1686

career ending
Based on the opinions in this forum, none of them will ever be good enough to manage a top club unless they win the World Cup with Colchester first, only then should they be given a shot at a big team.

monosierra

Mueller surely, in additional to Kimmich. Juan Mata too if he is interested.

RU Devil

Iniesta, who is still playing in Japan

Don't know how Xavi's coaching is progressing in Saudi, but maybe he's just waiting for Barca to call.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Theoretically, Sergio Busquets should have a good chance as any — as a lot of building blocks are already in place.
  • Reads the game extremely well, and that ability should carry over into management.
  • Frequently the focal point and a trigger of his teams' structure.
  • Positionally immaculate, perfected the art of doing simple things and among the best understated organizers of this era.
  • Composed and calculating, even under pressure — and has an endless amount of big-match experience.
  • It's no coincidence that many of the great, great managers were holding/defensive midfielders of some sort — as the central cog position calls for a unique insight. e.g. Trapattoni or Guardiola.
  • Overcame physical limitations (like lack of blistering pace) with consistent intelligence and deliberate preparation.
  • Received one of the best educations in the contemporary era from a young age — should be well versed in positional play, pressing systems and so forth.

Guess the kinda-sorta negatives are that he might not be egoistical/raucous enough, too deferential at times, too fine-tuned to the environment of Barcelona instead of venturing out, and too submissive to rote instructions?
Guardiola has mentioned that too, that he'll become a manager. It's hard to evaluate the characteristics, but you don't get to be the focal point of their play for a decade if you're meek and submissive.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Based on the opinions in this forum, none of them will ever be good enough to manage a top club unless they win the World Cup with Colchester first, only then should they be given a shot at a big team.
This is a fair point.

OP needs to clarify the standard of "good manager".

Remember the geese

Bit of a long shot, but Van de Beek. Schooled at Ajax and an intelligent player. On the other end of the scale, I could see Conor Coady managing in the football league somewhere.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This thread gonna be gold in 20 years time..

Mct? Herrera? Mata?

Mata would be a food blogger when he retires

Mct would ended up at bottom table club late in his career and probably assmanaged scotland

Herrera would retire. Probably ended up as politicians in basque