Players from relegated / potentially relegated teams that could be available on the cheap

Irrational.

Are there any players in the bottom six teams that could be worth having a look at this summer? With transfer spending likely to be subdued this summer because of covid, are there any potential bargains out there? Even if we buy them as squad players, I'm sure there are players out there that would be an improvement on Lingard, Mata, Pereira, Jones, Rojo etc., all of whom I'd rather ship off. Here is my list of players I'd be keeping a close eye on if I was Ole:

Norwich:

Buendia and Cantwell are the only two I think worth checking out. Buendia not so much, but I've been quite impressed with Cantwell. He's been quite creative for a player in a relegated team.

Villa:

Grealish - the obvious choice. The most fouled player in the league and extremely talented. I rate him above Maddison, and he'd probably be cheaper as well. If he was available on the cheap he could prove to be a cracking signing. If Bruno gets injured (heaven forbid), then I'd trust Grealish to step up.

McGinn - An energetic midfielder full of running. Recently back from injury. Pre-injury, I was quite impressed by him. Could be a very shrewd signing, a potential midfield version of Liverpool's Andy Robertson, and, at the very least, a good squad rotation player.

Bournemouth:

Brooks - I've been an admirer for quite a while. Very silky on the ball, only concern is his injury record. But again a signing that could pay dividends.

Ake - I'd strongly consider him as a partner for Maguire. Young, quick and a solid defender. I think he'd automatically become the second best defender at the club.

Watford:

Sarr - Could be a much cheaper left (right) wing alternative to Sancho. Talented, pacey but quite raw. If developed correctly we'd have an awesome winger on our hands. He also scored twice (and a gnat's bollock away from a hat trick) against Liverpool.

Doucoure - Powerful midfielder that could do well for a dominant side. I reckon he could cover quite effectively for Matic or Pogba.

West Ham:

Diop - Big strong defender. Young and strong, I reckon again he'd be quite good if bought at the right price.

Rice - Highly talented, could cover CB as well as CDM. We could be the perfect club for him to develop at, and has a lot of leadership qualities for such a young player.

Bowen - Bit of a wildcard, and admittedly I haven't seen much of him, but from what I have seen he's been a bargain for WH so far and seems to be a bit of an assist machine.

Anderson - The Nico Gaitan of transfers. He's not done much at WH, but maybe he'd be a better player for a bigger club.

Any other players that we could buy at bargain basement prices that would be worth having a look at?

Prodigal7

Nice post but we’re man united ffs. We don’t go shopping for players because their clubs are being relegated and we could get them a little cheaper.

That being said Grealish is an exceptional talent and I’d love him here.

Irrational.

Nice post but we’re man united ffs. We don’t go shopping for players because their clubs are being relegated and we could get them a little cheaper.

That being said Grealish is an exceptional talent and I’d love him here.
I agree with you: Blockbuster signing are always nice and get the muppet juices flowing but it takes more than that to build a healthy, well-rounded squad. A lot of the superstar signings over the past few years have also been abject failures. I don't think we should be turning our noses up at solid players who would improve our squad who have the misfortune of playing for a bottom six club :D

Ben Godfrey could be a nice punt. Can play both CB and DM and is still young.
Good shout!

jamesjimmybyrondean

We should try and seal a deal for King. Unless we want to find ourselves panic loaning a striker from Switzerland after Ighalo's loan expires

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Diop is such an awful name to throw at the list. I've been watching him ever since Mourinho had a dig on our scout and spoke highly about him. I must say he's basically Kurt Zouma. Centre back who's not good on the ball and rely on pace & physical strength only, imagine David Luiz without his ball playing ability. Felipe Anderson also somehow struggled to get into West Ham XI nowdays, not sure why.

As for McGinn. He's alright but I think he's more of a mid table or low table PL level. He doesn't have the stamina, often looks tired after 70th minute, defensive position is poor but has technique when on the ball.

Web of Bissaka

We should try and seal a deal for King. Unless we want to find ourselves panic loaning a striker from Switzerland after Ighalo's loan expires
Forgot about him, but we got Ighalo until Jan, won't surprise me if we again extend his loan until season end.

I think we should only get King next year Jan, although maybe again they're not selling.

I'm not worried though, Rashford and Greenwood can cover CF/ST if we have to. Greenwood should be far better ready by next Jan once Ighalo left.

In Rainbows

Bad awareness from Pogba. Southampton giving us a pressing lesson.

edit: Having a mare. Why did I think this was the gamethread earlier? In regards to the topic, I would take Grealish, but don't think its possible if we get Sancho and I want Sancho to be the priority.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Come to think of it. Wasn't Roy Keane from relegated Forrest?
Yes.
Definitely not Man Utd related but Liverpool signed Wijnaldum & Robertson

I know we have him now but I did want us to sign Maguire when hull went down.

Grealish would be great for depth, Rice would be good (but I think West Ham will stay up). None of the wingers are for me, as to me it has to be Sancho

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yes.
Definitely not Man Utd related but Liverpool signed Wijnaldum & Robertson

I know we have him now but I did want us to sign Maguire when hull went down.

Grealish would be great for depth, Rice would be good (but I think West Ham will stay up). None of the wingers are for me, as to me it has to be Sancho
Sancho must be a priority.

As for possible relegated guys. I'd happily pick up Grealish, Ake and Cantwell or McGinn

POF

If West Ham are relegated, I think Yarmolenko will be a good pick up for someone. He lacks consistency and has struggled with injury but when he's on form there's a top player in there somewhere.

He's a real attacking threat and a quality finisher. His goal against United this season was the difference in the game. It was embarrassing for United that the team with the individual attacking quality won the game and that was West Ham.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think rather than wingers, we should aim for their midfield & defense. We are targeting Sancho and we already have James, enough for cover. Got a feeling Watford will be relegated, none of their players are good enough to improve our depth. Doucoure has been used more as attacking mid but he's not exactly the type of AM we're looking for.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In not sure on Ake... He has all the physical/athletic attributes to be a very good defender...but he makes a lot of poor choices from what I've seen.

Momochiru

From West Ham I would like Antonio. He would be a great backup similar to what Ighalo is doing for us currently. First, we have Ighalo only until January, and second I think he would be even more useful that Ighalo - a little bit younger, more physical, works very hard, can cover all front 3 positions, offers something different than what we have in the first team.

Infra-red

Espanyol have been relegated. Marc Roca is a very promising 23 year old defensive midfielder with a great passing range and will be available for a bargain price - he has a £36m release clause, but Espanyol's relegation has reportedly seen this slashed to an asking price of approximately £20m. Arsenal are said to be after him.

From the Premier League, either Grealish or Buendia would be decent options if we were looking for a low(ish) cost squad option to add some much-needed creativity to the side when Fernandes is out.

Edit: Brescia have been relegated from Serie A and Fortuna Duesseldorf are gone in Germany - Sandro Tonali and Kevin Stoger are both good, passing midfielders (Tonali in particular is a massive talent, although I guess he'll stay in Italy. Stoger is available on a free transfer).

Last edited:

Jackal981

Cantwell looks really good whenever I watched him. He is 10x the player Lingard and Perreira so I dont know why anybody said we should not buy from relegated teams.

Ekeke

Longterm there would be loads who would improve the squad and have the potential to be good players in the future

But buying like 6 players would probably exhaust our transfer funds

Buendia, Lewis (attacking sub for Shaw) and Godfrey (longterm) from Norwich
Grealish from Villa
Ake, Mepham (longterm) and Ramsdale from Bournemouth

Scholsey2004

Are there any players in the bottom six teams that could be worth having a look at this summer? With transfer spending likely to be subdued this summer because of covid, are there any potential bargains out there? Even if we buy them as squad players, I'm sure there are players out there that would be an improvement on Lingard, Mata, Pereira, Jones, Rojo etc., all of whom I'd rather ship off. Here is my list of players I'd be keeping a close eye on if I was Ole:

Norwich:

Buendia and Cantwell are the only two I think worth checking out. Buendia not so much, but I've been quite impressed with Cantwell. He's been quite creative for a player in a relegated team.

Villa:

Grealish - the obvious choice. The most fouled player in the league and extremely talented. I rate him above Maddison, and he'd probably be cheaper as well. If he was available on the cheap he could prove to be a cracking signing. If Bruno gets injured (heaven forbid), then I'd trust Grealish to step up.

McGinn - An energetic midfielder full of running. Recently back from injury. Pre-injury, I was quite impressed by him. Could be a very shrewd signing, a potential midfield version of Liverpool's Andy Robertson, and, at the very least, a good squad rotation player.

Bournemouth:

Brooks - I've been an admirer for quite a while. Very silky on the ball, only concern is his injury record. But again a signing that could pay dividends.

Ake - I'd strongly consider him as a partner for Maguire. Young, quick and a solid defender. I think he'd automatically become the second best defender at the club.

Watford:

Sarr - Could be a much cheaper left (right) wing alternative to Sancho. Talented, pacey but quite raw. If developed correctly we'd have an awesome winger on our hands. He also scored twice (and a gnat's bollock away from a hat trick) against Liverpool.

Doucoure - Powerful midfielder that could do well for a dominant side. I reckon he could cover quite effectively for Matic or Pogba.

West Ham:

Diop - Big strong defender. Young and strong, I reckon again he'd be quite good if bought at the right price.

Rice - Highly talented, could cover CB as well as CDM. We could be the perfect club for him to develop at, and has a lot of leadership qualities for such a young player.

Bowen - Bit of a wildcard, and admittedly I haven't seen much of him, but from what I have seen he's been a bargain for WH so far and seems to be a bit of an assist machine.

Anderson - The Nico Gaitan of transfers. He's not done much at WH, but maybe he'd be a better player for a bigger club.

Any other players that we could buy at bargain basement prices that would be worth having a look at?
Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey and Jamaal Lewis at Norwich are all quite promising, Aarons in particular. Buendia's their best player by a long way, reminds me.a bit of Mkhitaryan.