Players from relegated / potentially relegated teams that could be available on the cheap

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
23 years old.
Good age. Young enough to improve, old enough to have clocked some good miles in the PL
They will have to sell 3/4 of their squad. Aaron’s too good. Cantwell looks impressive more than Grealish imo.

Resch

Espanyol have been relegated. Marc Roca is a very promising 23 year old defensive midfielder with

Edit: Brescia have been relegated from Serie A and Fortuna Duesseldorf are gone in Germany - Sandro Tonali and Kevin Stoger are both good, passing midfielders (Tonali in particular is a massive talent, although I guess he'll stay in Italy. Stoger is available on a free transfer).
Stöger is nood even close to United quality. Has he ever got a call up to the Austrian national team? No! He is free and still no top teams are interested....

DarkLord

Cantwell, Grealish and King would be nice. Wouldn't mind Ake as a backup for our CB.

Infra-red

Stöger is nood even close to United quality. Has he ever got a call up to the Austrian national team? No! He is free and still no top teams are interested....
I reckon that as a squad option on a free transfer, he'd be alright and is on par with some of the other names mentioned in this thread. I'm not really advocating that United sign him!

Craig Ward

He's the new version of Sessegnon.
Sessegnon might do well if Jose actually played him mind

I think Max Aarons is ok - looks raw. Probably the best of the bunch at Norwich, lewis is poor, Cantwell looks at best on times half decent, Godfrey is hard to judge because he is literally defending on his own, Buendia gets a lot of hype but is quite wasteful with the ball and lazy off it.

Grealish looks to be the only player we'd want from a relegated team, but i think we'd want him anyway.

We shouldnt target players from relegated teams, we should target players that improve our squad regardless.

Grealish ticks that box, none of the Norwich players do. I dont think Brooks or Wilson do either. Ake maybe does, i think the Josh King rumours have gone since we got Ighalo.

I think Declan Rice is massively over priced and not someone we can blow a chunk of money on this year, we need Sancho and Grealish more

Paul_Scholes18

What do people see in Mings and Hause? They look individually impressive, but Villa are conceding goals for fun. Would they be exposed even more in a big club.
Same witth Ake I should say.

poleglass red

depends on the price really. A lot of what we use on here is merely rehashed tabloid gossip, I'm guilty of it myself, eg couple of weeks ago one paper said Villa looking 80 million for grealish, and this was during covid. Now I am reading they would take 40-45 million. It's the same with Rice, everyone is taking the 80 million we read about as gospel, I don't think he'd go for anything close to that in this new post covid market. Their respective clubs might possibly use that higher figure to being talks but neither of those is going for 80 mill in this market. I even see Koulibaly's price is dropping in the paper now

croadyman

depends on the price really. A lot of what we use on here is merely rehashed tabloid gossip, I'm guilty of it myself, eg couple of weeks ago one paper said Villa looking 80 million for grealish, and this was during covid. Now I am reading they would take 40-45 million. It's the same with Rice, everyone is taking the 80 million we read about as gospel, I don't think he'd go for anything close to that in this new post covid market. Their respective clubs might possibly use that higher figure to being talks but neither of those is going for 80 mill in this market. I even see Koulibaly's price is dropping in the paper now
Yeah I reckon that figure for Grealish is fair but expect that West Ham are going to stay up and therefore can see Rice's price definitely being higher than that.

Red00012

There was someone on here a few days ago I’m sure saying we should say Douglas Luiz

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I like the way Brooks play. A young creative winger (that we should never say "enough already"). And a United fan also.

Ace of Spades

I think there will be a lot of cheap deals if we look around, but I think Grealish, Brooks and Buendia are the ones I like the most.

MadMike

Buendia and Cantwell are the only two I think worth checking out. Buendia not so much, but I've been quite impressed with Cantwell. He's been quite creative for a player in a relegated team.
The complete opposite for me. Buendia definitely worth a pun quite tidy player and very productive. Cantwell not so much.

Toad

Wouldn’t mind Ake for a bit of depth. Would have to pair Maguire when he does play as he’s not great in the air in my opinion.

Grealish is the obvious choice.

Good thing about relegated players is they should be grateful for still being in the EPL (if signed) so wouldn’t mind being squad players which is ultimately what we will be needing.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We should be looking at Grealish Cantwell Buendia and Brooks for back up AM. Also King and Ake for back upbSt and CB

MrSingh2002

1. Diop
2. Ake
3. Buendia
4. Soucek
5. Grealish
6. Sarr
7. Douglas Luiz

Shame theres not a left back of interest between those clubs. The best probably being Cresswell or Masuaku.

I like Jamal Lewis far more than Max Aarons, excellent dribbler for a fullback and a better defender. I've been surprised watching them both that Aarons has been more hyped. Funny that three of Norwich's four back line members have been quite touted despite shipping the most goals in the league. Farke's system does them no favors and they're all very young to be fair. I think Buendia is the best player on that team currently, elite chance creation figures for such a low scoring team.

Aside from the obvious Grealish who I rate extremely highly, Lewis, Bowen, or Brooks would be my picks. Ake maybe. All talented young players who would help us in positions of need. Don't get this talk that we're Man Utd and we're above signing relegated players. SAF took advantage of loads of bargains. Some key players to title winning teams have come from relegated sides (which is also why that talk about Maguire being relegated with Hull is so silly - so was Robertson). Don't think any of the players I listed would immediately be key first team members (aside from Grealish who is clearly very talented and would probably only be a backup because Pogba and Bruno are in his way), but they'd all have lots of time to develop and step in as solid squad members.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Id like to see Cantwell sign for Everton purely based on the fact him and Tom Davies look like the Hardy Boyz

POF

I like the way Brooks play. A young creative winger (that we should never say "enough already"). And a United fan also.
I agree. He's a talented kid, seems to have a good attitude and he influences games. He was Bournemouth's best player last season and has lots of scope to improve.

As a left footer he gives good balance too. He could be a cheaper alternative to Grealish. Bournemouth will need to raise some funds so they can give Liverpool £20m for their tea lady.

Ludens the Red

Tim Krul
So we can actually see the opposition miss penalties against us. Tired of De Gea never saving pens.

RashyForPM

With West Ham surely staying up, I’d say:

Firstly, with Norwich, nobody. They’re all shite, including the young players despite the commentators’ narrative all season. Cantwell has scored 6 but none since January. Also didn’t like the way they blatantly downed tools against West Ham.

On to Villa. Grealish, but only as a backup. He’s been poor in recent weeks but still far and away the best player in the team. A far better player than Lingard, Mata and Pereira and would lessen the crisis if Bruno ever got a niggle. Also, possibly Mings, but only as 4th choice behind Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly and on low wages. Maybe give them Tuanzebe on loan for a season again.

With Bournemouth, most importantly, Ake. I rate the guy very highly and with his advantage of being left-footed, I’d personally start him over Lindelof. Would be cheap too, if Bournemouth went down. Then, one of C. Wilson or Brooks, either as backup striker with Greenwood becoming backup RW to Sancho or as backup RW with Greenwood becoming backup striker alongside Ighalo. Both are clearly good, technical players who wouldn’t look out of place here. Fraser as backup LW on a free would also be fantastic. I know Fraser hasn’t played since the restart, but these have a good squad and really shouldn’t go down.

Lastly, from Watford, Doucoure. Extremely powerful and can take a rocket of a shot, almost like a b-tech Yaya Toure. Think he’s far better than Fred and McTominay. Probably Deulofeu or Sarr too as a backup winger, who Ole can hone the inconsistencies and poor decision-making out of and unleash his evident strengths, namely pace and dribbling. Besides that, Ben Foster as a third-choice keeper would be nice if Grant left. Would be quite nostalgic. Don’t think they’re going down though, and with their mid-table level squad and manager, they really shouldn’t.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Grealish, Ake, Brooks and Rice are all young enough to improve, and have the right skill sets and potential to be very good players for us. Even as just rotational options. I’d take any and all, and instantly think our squad looked better for it.

The others look to have found their level imo. Cantwell can go on to become a good premier league player, but I don’t see a United player in him. I think he’d be an excellent singing for Everton for example.

In Rainbows

I like Jamal Lewis far more than Max Aarons, excellent dribbler for a fullback and a better defender. I've been surprised watching them both that Aarons has been more hyped. Funny that three of Norwich's four back line members have been quite touted despite shipping the most goals in the league. Farke's system does them no favors and they're all very young to be fair. I think Buendia is the best player on that team currently, elite chance creation figures for such a low scoring team.

Aside from the obvious Grealish who I rate extremely highly, Lewis, Bowen, or Brooks would be my picks. Ake maybe. All talented young players who would help us in positions of need. Don't get this talk that we're Man Utd and we're above signing relegated players. SAF took advantage of loads of bargains. Some key players to title winning teams have come from relegated sides (which is also why that talk about Maguire being relegated with Hull is so silly - so was Robertson). Don't think any of the players I listed would immediately be key first team members (aside from Grealish who is clearly very talented and would probably only be a backup because Pogba and Bruno are in his way), but they'd all have lots of time to develop and step in as solid squad members.
You have to remember that Max Aarons is 2 years younger. He's from Brandon Williams and Angel Gomes' generation.

I would take Aarons btw. Although we already have Laird and AWB. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but it would be great to loan he or Laird to make sure the RB spot is nailed down for the next 10 years. And I'm pretty satisfied by AWB, so this would be more of a proactive safety move.

Nori-

I wonder how much Grealish would cost if Villa get relegated?

I read something recently that said he'd cost us £60-65m if they stay up. So if they go down, wild guess here but could we get him for around £40-45m?

Sell Pereira for £20m, add another £20-25m and get him as cover/rotation for Fernandes. Seems like a no brainer.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Aarons would be pointless for us. AWB is better and we have both Williams and Laird coming through.
Cantwell isn't good enough either in my opinion.

Ake would be my first choice of those going down, and Grealish if he would accept a rotation role in the squad
Could take King as a backup striker, but I'd rather we get someone very cheap.

Red_Orchestra

Bournemouth have some decent players.
David Brooks, Ryan Fraser, Callum Wilson, Joshua King, Nathan Ake, Harry Wilson

Number32

The problem with this relegation side is incosistent performance week in week out. Roy Keane was also inconsistent in his first year with us.

Surprised no one has said Max Aarons seeing as half the forum wanted him rather than AWB
What happened to Max Arons(think thats his name) at Norwich? Was he not highly rated some time ago?
He plays in wrong position, could be a great RW/LW like Gareth Bale with that speed.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Brooks - I really like him. Would certainly try to get him even if we do get Sancho as well. Get rid of Lingard, Pereira, Mata and we have space.
Grealish - obvious
Cantwell/Josh King - We could try for either of them for the January window once Ighalo's deal ends. Could be a useful competition to Martial/Greenwood for that striker position

I'm not sure on Ake. He's a good player but we need an aerially strong defender and he's not that.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Always liked Brooks. He's had a really difficult season with injury, and I don't think he's 100% fit now, but would be a good addition, but there again we have Chong in the wings, but almost certainly he will get a loan next season. McGinn is a cracking player, but we have Fred and McTominay who play similarly, so don't think we'll go for him. Grealish is one we've been linked with for a long time, and could possibly be the only one we go for. Can't really see many players from those clubs who would improve our squad, some of the young Norwich players have potential, and could be worth a punt, but we have some good players in our academy, so would we go for any of those when we have potentially some first team players already here?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Nice post but we’re man united ffs. We don’t go shopping for players because their clubs are being relegated and we could get them a little cheaper.

That being said Grealish is an exceptional talent and I’d love him here.
Roy Keane?