Players good enough to win a PL/CL

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shaw, Bruno, Pogba

anyone else? Maybe Rashford & Greenwood on potential, but definitely not now. Cavani maybe?

We’re pretty far away aren’t we :(

Judas

Open to offers
You don't need 11 world class players to win the league or CL though. You need a cohesive well coached team that has belief. Obviously quality players are very important, but there's a lot more to it.

Mickson

Liverpool hasn't exceptional players and definitely not an exceptional squad. They have an exceptional manager with a clear style though.

Roboc7

Our first choice centre halves are Lindelof and Maguire, our favoured midfield two is Mcfred. All four are top six players at best, you might win a title with 1 of those starting regularly but 4 not a chance.

That core of the team needs gutting and it’s one area where I can’t see coaching making much difference.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our first choice centre halves are Lindelof and Maguire, our favoured midfield two is Mcfred. All four are top six players at best, you might win a title with 1 of those starting regularly but 4 not a chance.

That core of the team needs gutting and it’s one area where I can’t see coaching making much difference.
Yeah, add in a very average David De Gea and the entire middle core of our team is above-average to decent at best.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
You don't need 11 world class players to win the league or CL though. You need a cohesive well coached team that has belief.
Exactly. Many teams is the past has weaker team than this United team and has won the league. This team should be much closer to city and challenging for the title.

Shaw is the best fullback in the league at the moment. We have two world class midfielder in Pogba and Bruno, with the latter one of if not the best attacker. We have some solid reliable defenders unlike liverpool who is plagued with injuries and relying on midfielder to play defense. Only city have better defenders than us and they don’t even have our depth in that department. Rashford is one of the most valuable player in football and we have a squad that is one of the most expensive in the world. If this team is not good enough to win the league, then I feel like that something is wrong with the coaching.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ahh brilliant just what we need, another stupid thread about how X,Y and Z can/can’t win the league. Football never has and never will be as simple as naming individuals especially when it’s clear that most of our players have the requisite talent for the top level.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you'd asked this question about the Liverpool squad a few years ago then quite a few people who now have CL & PL medals would have missed out.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah we're miles away but it's kind of inevitable when we did nothing in the Summer to improve our first XI.

Roboc7

Yeah, add in a very average David De Gea and the entire middle core of our team is above-average to decent at best.
Yeah should have included him as well, 3 or 4 upgrades required there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Liverpool world class players - Salah, Mane, Allison (pre current form), Van Dijk, Robertson, TAA, Fabinho, Thiago. You could put in midfielders like Henderson or Widjanldum or a player like Jota but because they aren't skillful people dont value them so I will leave it be.

We have nothing to compare with that.

Greenwood is Salahs kid and not even a RW.
Lindelof is the worst out of every Van Dijk Partner.

We dont have a CDM like Fabinho, our only one is a player Mourinho bought that is as old as him.

Our goalkeeper is scared of the football the further he is away from it.

Rashford is younger than Mane - a player in his pure prime like all of Liverpool except their fullbacks and the players they choose in a strict injury crisis.

Yeah we are the same as Liverpool.

norm87cro

If you think Pogba is good enough to win the PL or the CL you are not considering the fact that for both: you need consistency.

Dominos

Saying "we'll never win the league with this player" is silly, it is always dependent on how good the rest of the team is, and how well they're coached.

If John Stones for example was playing in our team I've no doubt you'd all be moaning about him and he'd be on the list of "not good enough to win the PL" even though he'll win it this season with one of the best defensive records the league has seen.

Our attitude should be we need to improve our weakest 3 positions each summer until eventually we have the team to win it.

CB and RW are our biggest issues at the minute in my opinion, followed by striker and those deep midfield positions. An attacking alternative at right back would also be nice.

My concern is we're not ever going to be coached anywhere near the level City are by Pep, so we'll need the best squad in the league by some margin to actually win it.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Managers good enough to win a PL/CL.

Nope. Not one here I'm afraid.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
IMO - De Gea, Pogba, Bruno, Cavani (as rotation), Shaw or AWB (but not both), McT (as rotation), Rashford.

But yeah we are far away and I've thought it was silly entertaining the idea weeks ago despite our favorable league position. I actually think we're doing well if anything :nervous:

Every one of our players is capable of playing to that level, they have shown it over the last few months. What we miss is the coaching and management to maintain it.

Remember the geese

Shaw, Maguire, Pogba, Fernandes and Rashford are definitely good enough to regularly start for a title winner. There are others too like Wan-Bissaka, McTominay and Greenwood who you could possibly make a case for.

RashyForPM

I can understand this thread as quality obviously plays a part in top teams, but it’s also about balance and team chemistry/cohesion. Anyway, since OP is focusing solely on quality in this thread, then I’ll go:

Henderson
Maguire (with a top CB next to him, playing the role that Stones does with Dias as the right hand man)
Shaw
Pogba
Bruno
Rashford
Cavani

Now, fill in the blanks with a few additions, some realistic and some unrealistic (Ndidi) and we have a team and squad that can compete on all fronts:

Henderson
Trippier Ramos Maguire Shaw
Ndidi Pogba
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Cavani

Bench: DDG, AWB, Bailly, McT, VdB, Greenwood, Martial

I’d like to pull the OP up on the part where he says we’re very far away too. We aren’t. Say we get Trippier, Ramos and Sancho and sack Ole this summer seeing as he only has one year left on his contract and hasn’t been a roaring success, and hire a manager who could get us consistent and push us to the next level, like Nagelsmann, then we can certainly challenge for both the PL and the CL next season. Make Ramos captain and Bruno and Maguire the vice-captains, and you have enough on-pitch leadership to guide everyone through difficult games as well.

GMoore23

???
Rashford - Bruno - ???
Fred/Mctominay - ???
Shaw - Maguire - ??? - Bissaka/???
???

I think we need :
A more commanding GK
A talented Athletic CB
An Attacking alternative to Bissaka
A proper Dm replacement for Matic
A RW if Greenwood and Diallo can't step up
A world class striker most importantly

We normally spend around 75m net per season so I'd sell Pogba, Lingard and possibly even Martial which would give us at least 200m to work with.

OleBoiii

Not all players need to be great for us to win the PL or CL, but we're obviously not good enough now.

I'd say we are 2 or 3 "Brunos" away.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
McTominay is more than good enough.