Players like Harry Kane: Do you respect them for going down with the ship, or are they wasting their careers?

Mas Risky

1 trophy or 3 trophies is not remotely the same as many trophies or a lot of trophies

If that difference matters less than the difference between "no trophies" and 1 trophy, in determining whether a player "wasted his career" then the conversation is ridiculous to begin with. That's what I'm saying.

Any frame of classification that says Kane wasted his career yet Totti didn't (seeing he could have won A LOT more elsewhere) is stupid.
For Roma, Totti is basically a God. He is their captain since he was 21 yo, a prolific playmaker, a complete number ten, and he was born and raised there.

Roma is not historically a great club, but they have won a few titles in the past. Very similar with Tottenham.

So when Totti won the league for his boyhood club, it has more weight than, lets say Ibrahimovic trophy with Milan.

In other words, people don't expect Totti to have a trophy laden career. One is suffice enough to establish his godlike figure in his city. His World Cup medal also helps. So, there is a bit of romanticism in play.

We need an rvn

Hard one and I think it's just down to personal preference. I think there are many players, and CAF members, who would pick playing for the club of their dreams for a decade over winning a title.

Harry Kane just beat Greaves' goal scoring record, who we all know was a legend for Spurs and adored by the fans. Both players will be spoken about for generations by the spurs' fans and their names are written in history. He'll be mobbed on the streets for years to come by the spurs fans. I think if you asked Harry if he had to chose between winning 1 league title or beating Greaves' record, he might well chose the record over a title. It's a huge thing he'd done. Now that he's got the record though, I think he should be looking at getting a title in as well.

Saying that, Kane had a goal to beat and might have had his sights on that for a year or two. Other players who don't have a record like that to beat, perhaps the target / goal should be to win a trophy and best to leave

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
It is the biggest trophy in football. If you have it, you have won the most special one there is. If England had won the World Cup, that would have been the defining moment of his career. Nothing he could have done in club football would have eclipsed it.

It’s a completely different conversation then.
Yes, but whether he played for Tottenham, Villarreal, Bayern, City or whatever is irrelevant when measuring his chances of winning World Cup. Winning World Cup is not something affected by choice of club.

Wing Attack Plan R

I respect those players. Think of what Everton would have done/become if Rooney had never left. It's not really fair to the fans of smaller clubs when the produce a wonderkind and then see that player leave for greener pastures. I admire the dedication.

I laugh at players like Grealish who leave for the big payday and then sit on the bench.

edcunited1878

It's such a dumb comparison. So the highest scorer in Spurs history, soon to be highest England, and possibly PL is wasting his career instead of just bouncing around and chasing a trophy?

He's cemented his place as an all time legendary player for club, country, and domestic league. How's that wasting a career up to now?

I can understand people saying Kane and his reps are too loyal and a little ignorant, as in just leave on a free when Levy fecked you over. Who cares if you didn't generate a transfer fee for the club, they in turn fecked you so business is business.

He'll end up with a trophy somewhere and somehow, but saying he's wasting his career is dogshit.

arnie_ni

Don't understand everyone respecting kanes decusion to remain loyal to spurs. He didn't, he tried everything he could to leave and even refused to train. Levy is the only reason he's still there

Bestie07

Harry Kane is not loyal, he is stupid and he is a loser. He was stupid enough to sign away the best years of his career to Spurs, and didn't have it in him to either get a move away from that club or to guide either that club or his country to victories in any meaningful games.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I'm at the point where i only respect all-time great Real Madrid players. If you're not succeeding in the extreme pressure environment of the biggest club in football history, you've wasted your career as a comfort-zone sloth.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Kane gets such stick all over social media and forums. Why are people so bothered about him?
Bumping threads every time they lose a game, don't win a cup seems a bit odd.

He made his bed signing that long term deal 4 or 5 years ago, and will go down as a Tottenham legend and probably the all time premier league scorer.
That's not a bad legacy.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Totti won the serie A and a few cups with Roma, a bit different.
Totti if he wanted could've won much more but he is the last romantic guy in modern football.
He is a Roma fan and always played and decided to stay in his favorite team.
Could've easly went to best Real Madrid or Milan and win Cls and more

Halftrack

Don't understand everyone respecting kanes decusion to remain loyal to spurs. He didn't, he tried everything he could to leave and even refused to train. Levy is the only reason he's still there
Exactly. He was loyal as long as they looked like they were on the cusp of challenging for the big honours, but when it became clear that the chance of Spurs winning anything had passed, he did everything he could to get out of there as soon as he caught a whiff of another club's interest.

HackeyC

Come the end, when you've lost two yards of pace and carry injuries, their loyalty to you will slowly erode and you will not be picked.

Someone

Something
He'll be respected for his record no doubt about it, but he'll also be a cautionary tale. The likes of Rice won't make the same mistake. It also must be really hard for him to watch players at his level playing for the best clubs in the world, making more money, and challenging for the biggest trophies year in year out.

eire-red

Think Kane was only willing to go to City because it would have been the least painful move for Spurs fans to stomach. Can't see him joining any of the other top teams in England, and I don't think winning the Bundesliga with Bayern or another perceived lower tier European league with the dominant force in that country means more to him than ending his career a Suprs legend.

I don't think it makes him a "lesser" player. Bryan Robson is one of the all time United legends, and you could argue would have gone down just as such without our success under Fergie towards the end of his career. Granted, he picked up a couple FA Cups during the 80's I think, but there was the potential for him to move to one of the Italian giants during the 80's if I recall correctly.

As the OP pointed out, fans can be quite hypocritical about these types of things. I can kind of sympathise with Kane a little. Spurs have been on the cusp of being a challenger a few times throughout his career, and really they've had enough quality in the last decade or so to pick up at least one cup along the way.

Personally, I think the ship has sailed and he'll end his career with Spurs, and most likely with no major honours to show for it. Whether he'll look back with regret... I guess only he will ever know that. Winning Euro 2021 would have most likely placated any regrets at club level.