Players & managers react to the Super League

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s in complete overdrive at the moment. Lots of people playing devils advocate when this so isn’t the time.

I don’t really care about the pl, fifa and uefa at the moment. They are the lesser of evils at the moment.
Whatever those guys have done. They expanded the World Cup and euros, expanded the CL. All their competitions have qualifiers. All their competitions at least have some semblance of merit and integrity to playing in them.

The super league is literally the Complete and polar opposite.

These people popping into these threads with their shit need to fecking wake up.
Yeah, there’s a lot of “Sure Hitler invading Poland is bad, but it was the Versailles treaty that started it” chin stroking going around. Yeah, well done. Write a fecking dissertation, but draw a fecking line.

You can acknowledge some of the potential earlier warming signs or through lines without being a cynical hipster fatalist. There IS a line, and it’s the spirit of fair completion in a tiered system.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I find it quite annoying that people jump on this person or that because they are not 100% morally pure. It's a spectrum. We're pretty much all involved in the capitalist monster, but to varying degrees. And everyone is allowed to have opinions even though they are not on a moral pedestal.

If people call out this attempt to Americanise football, I applaud it. Regardless of who they are. The hypocrisy police can go into overdrive if they want, whilst failing to see the bigger picture here.
But this is protectionism and not real capitalism.

At the moment even the lowest professional teams have a route to European football.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well this is obviously horseshit. I don't think I've enjoyed football as much as the last 12 months in recent years. Less fans more football for the good of the game.
Bet you’ve been listening with the fake fan noise haven’t you :)

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The clubs are forbidden to partake in any football competitions outside of UEFA and FIFA without permission. This is relatively straight forward and also the reason why leagues consider expelling them.
They haven't partaken in anything yet.

Clubs apply annually for licenses to UEFA and get approved to participate in the UEFA club competitions. I am not a lawyer but I highly highly doubt there is a clause in those agreements that gives UEFA the right to boot them out of the current year competition they have already been licensed for based on plans they may or may not follow through on in the future.

The ESL clubs were clearly ready for this step and have reportedly already begun legal processes to prevent if from happening. I'm sure they have excellent legal representation and that they did a lot of homework to prepare for this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thats what I wrote earlier, footballers involved won't give a crap, once they realise they can double/treble their weekly wage they'll be fine.
Absolute bollocks. Footballers grow up dreaming of winning the Premier League and Champions League. They’ve just spent the last couple of years under Ole trying to build something towards that dream and they’ve just realised that dream might no longer exist. Bollocks to the “footballers are just mercenaries” nonsense.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ander Herrera left United because of pay didnt he? and then joined a team thats deep in financial doping. The absolute cheek of him.
Can we have an award category for 'post that completely missed the point'? Because this is my contender.

predator

Youth NITK
I imagine a lot of players and managers out there will probably not want to go on record and slate it incase the opportunity of work arises in the future.

Gary neville for example is going no way near a super league broadcasting studio.

Tapori

The only people that have as much power as the clubs in this scenario is the players.

I mean if they went on strike or everyone put in transfer requests (which they wouldn't of course, just hypothetically speaking) then that could actually kill this off.
Imagine collective action if they force it through.

All matches played in the ESL and the players play every match by walking around the pitch having a chat for 90 mins. EVERY MATCH.

Can't force them to play a certain style.!

Tapori

I personally don't think this is that big a deal. And in 10 years not many people will either. e.g Despite all the talk about Glazers out, nearly 20 years later United still fills OT every game, away fans are the best around and revenue has grown massively.

Most people love to moan and follow the crowd.

And you are ignoring my point. Herrera joined a team that is doing the exact same thing in France. No team in France can even remotely compete with PSG in terms of financial power.
Explain to me how a league in which there is no jeopardy or sporting merit is not a big deal?
Explain a league which destroys UK domestic football and with it 12 historic clubs, is not a "big deal."

The Firestarter

Why don't you go and learn another word?

I stand corrected, I thought as the other top 2 teams only play in the Conference League that UCL qualifying wasn't happening as I'd read that somewhere.

Clearly, I was wrong, but it's still been made incredibly difficult compared to what it was.
:lol: You don't know how your country teams qualify for various competitions, how are we supposed to take any of what you say seriously?

Tapori

Yeah, there’s a lot of “Sure Hitler invading Poland is bad, but it was the Versailles treaty that started it” chin stroking going around. Yeah, well done. Write a fecking dissertation, but draw a fecking line.

You can acknowledge some of the potential earlier warming signs or through lines without being a cynical hipster fatalist. There IS a line, and it’s the spirit of fair completion in a tiered system.
The man the Myth. Mockney is back. Starkey Rap2 is still legendary

saivet

I imagine a lot of players and managers out there will probably not want to go on record and slate it incase the opportunity of work arises in the future.

Gary neville for example is going no way near a super league broadcasting studio.
You can't blame them at all for it. It needs to either be collective (who is gonna stick their necks and try to make it happen?) or have players with significant clout complaining like Messi or Ronaldo which i doubt they will do.

If I was a player, I'd probably be annoyed but I'd only speak out if I'm towards the end of my career, earned shit loads of money and probably don't have a big final contract in me anyway.

MinGin

He said....“ The rich stealing what the people have created”

The people didnt make PSG CL contenders, vast amount of money did.
The money of PSG is still involved and fill the money into the whole football cash pool, they are still playing in a league and cup competition which smaller team can get some fee from that cash pool to operate and get competitive.
The super league idea is to pump out the "all" cash in that football pool to the pocket of so-called "Super Club" and their monopoly owner only.

Can other teams join them? No way until you have sugar daddy recommend you to get into that exclusive school. And they have a eternal standing after the so-called league start.
The rest of domestic leagues and cup competition will become something like Europa league in 10 years ago which the champion cannot promote into the CL.

You can refer to the operation style of NBA with the rest of basketball and MLB with rest of baseball as a example.
And do you think that pumping out 99%+ money to several clubs only would be a health situation for football environment?

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Came to this thread for manager and player reactions. Greeted by fans questioning whether your past allows you to have a say on this matter or how much validity it holds up.

Only the caf.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Respect to Klopp for speaking out against it. Can see him quitting and going back to the Bundesliga.

Teja

Easy for him to say given they can just stomp the German league every single year. Let them face some actual competition from oil money and he'll change his tune before you can say Super League.

EDIT: Also, the pandemic has nothing to do with it. Like with most trends it just accelerated the pace of change. RM / Barca / Italian clubs were already having a hard time competing against PL money / Oil money even before the pandemic and it'll remain that way even after COVID is done.

He's also trying to play both sides because if this actually goes through the CL will lose its luster and Bayern won't have CL TV money. Pick a side man.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
The expression is "I couldn't care less". Saying "you could care less" means literally nothing.
Don't bother mate. He'll tell you why "you could care less" is a better expression and we should stop using the actual one

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
But this is protectionism and not real capitalism.

At the moment even the lowest professional teams have a route to European football.
There doesn't exist any truly free market. So capitalism is the overall term for what is in effect a global mafia operation.

Teja

Explain to me how a league in which there is no jeopardy or sporting merit is not a big deal?
A European competition that has random clubs that make it without any merit at the expense of good footballing clubs like United / Arsenal is the one with no sporting merit. There's also no jeopardy, all these small time clubs just exist to be cannon fodder so the top teams can progress.

Explain a league which destroys UK domestic football and with it 12 historic clubs, is not a "big deal."
Explain how domestic football is being destroyed. The Super league is a cup competition to replace the CL / EL. Not a league where top teams play each other for 38 games in a single season.

The only way PL is impacted is due to reduced drama of not having a top four qualification race and "just" a title race. Plenty of leagues do fine with a title race.

Don't Kill Bill

I don't know which is worse we end up like Rugby with two organizations running ever diverging games and pretending the other doesn't exist or the eventual acceptance where the Champion league winners play the ESL winners in a game called the super bowl to decide who is the true best that year.