Players & managers react to the Super League

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought it might be worth having a separate thread for the reactions of various players and managers (past and present) to the super league news. We will be getting a lot of these reactions over the coming days and they'll get buried in the other threads.

A few already:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good. I can't see it happening to be honest, hopefully this backlash gains momentum.

VojjE

The PFA has taken it's stance on the matter as well, so will be interesting to see when and if the active players makes themselves heard.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How does Fergie's reaction square with the fact that he's still got an official role at the club ?

RedStarUnited

Ander Herrera left United because of pay didnt he? and then joined a team thats deep in financial doping. The absolute cheek of him.

Uniquim

How does Fergie's reaction square with the fact that he's still got an official role at the club ?
It's from Reuters from before the announcement.

Fergie also said this: “I’m not sure Manchester United are involved in this, as I am not part of the decision making process.”

RedStarUnited

Louis Figo - 'only to serve self-interested owners, who stopped caring about their fans long ago'

The same guy that left Barcelona to join their arch rivals now talking about caring about fans?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's from Reuters from before the announcement.

Fergie also said this: “I’m not sure Manchester United are involved in this, as I am not part of the decision making process.”
How odd. So it sounds like the Glazers and Woodward did everything by themselves and kept the likes of Fergie and others in the dark.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Louis Figo - 'only to serve self-interested owners, who stopped caring about their fans long ago'

The same guy that left Barcelona to join their arch rivals now talking about caring about fans?
I didn't realise Figo had such impeccable English :lol:

Uniquim

How odd. So it sounds like the Glazers and Woodward did everything by themselves and kept the likes of Fergie and others in the dark.
Yeah, it didn't sound yesterday like Solskjaer was informed either tbh.

And going by the Project Big Picture plans that aimed to reduce the number of games in the Premier League (possibly to make way for the added Super League matchdays), I'd assume United have been involved in these plans for a long time, even though Woodward have publicly denied it in the past.

arnie_ni

Ander Herrera left United because of pay didnt he? and then joined a team thats deep in financial doping. The absolute cheek of him.
No, he left because we didn't offer him and contract and had accepted psg before we did.

Not that its relevant

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not really. We didn't even bother offering him a contract until he had a few months left on his old one and he had already been talking with other teams. In that situation why would he stick around when we obviously weren't that interested in him, when another team seemed to want him more and was willing to pay him more on top of it (and unfortunately were also a more successful team).

sect2k

Just like all the other working men earning £100k+ a week.
Loving all the faux-outrage.
Exactly, that's what I find most hilarious about this outrage, like this is greed, but demanding a couple of 100k a week to kick a football, is not and it's only now that the sport is being ruined. Hypocrisy at it's best.

arthurka

It´s a bit rich coming from Herrera not like he didn´t want more money.. The same goes for these leaches, it´s all about money.

pass.pass.pass

Joining a rival team is still part of a competitive sport. It went against one group of fans, not all fans everywhere.

Destroying the very foundations of competition is on another universe altogether.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I would prefer if people left opinions out of this (myself included) and ONLY posted the player/manager reactions. There are plenty more threads out there to talk opinions on the matter.

Oldyella

No big surprise I guess. They are just employees at end of the day. I imagine this was all incredibly hush hush

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Exactly, that's what I find most hilarious about this outrage, like this is greed, but demanding a couple of 100k a week to kick a football, is not and it's only now that the sport is being ruined. Hypocrisy at it's best.
You do realise that if the players don't get paid high wages all that money will just go straight to the owners instead. Out of everybody involved in the huge financial business that is football, it's the players who most deserve to actually demand a significant portion. They are the ones providing the product that actually makes the money.

Of course, some players do go overboard and push for stupid amounts.

youngrell

Joining a rival team is still part of a competitive sport. It went against one group of fans, not all fans everywhere.

Destroying the very foundations of competition is on another universe altogether.
Exactly.

All this whatabouterry I'm reading in relation to this Super League is all individuals who were looking after their career or whatever. This is ripping up the very core of the sport in Europe for the greed of a dozen clubs.

RedStarUnited

So weird to me that people in favour of this proposal can only see it in terms of money. Well, not weird. Depressing though.
If be trully believes in money killing the game, he shouldnt have signed for a team like PSG. Thats the hypocrisy I am talking about.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well this is obviously horseshit. I don't think I've enjoyed football as much as the last 12 months in recent years. Less fans more football for the good of the game.
Nonsense, the last 12 months have been a necessity.
football needs its fans live watching the match in the fantastic stadiums they’ve built. Players need the atmosphere too

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well this is obviously horseshit. I don't think I've enjoyed football as much as the last 12 months in recent years. Less fans more football for the good of the game.
What? You've enjoyed football more without fans? What the feck?