Players PL Stats | James most fouled, Pogba tops Through balls..?

Web of Bissaka

Official website: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-premier-league-miscellaneous-stats-from-2019-20

Some of the stats,

Most through balls completed: Paul Pogba - 5.​
Most fouls drawn: Daniel James - 50.​
Most crosses: Daniel James - 88.​
Most assists: Daniel James - 6.​
Most substitute appearances: Mason Greenwood - 18.​
Most total shots: Marcus Rashford - 65.​
Most shots on target: Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford - 28.​
Most yellow cards: Fred - 7.​
Most presses: Fred - 680.​
Most corners: Fred - 42.​
Most blocks: Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 87.​
Most tackles: Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 109.​

Most games: David De Gea, Harry Maguire - 29.​
Most starts: David De Gea, Harry Maguire - 29.​
Most completed passes: Harry Maguire - 1,513.​
Most headed passes: Harry Maguire - 90.​
Most interceptions: Harry Maguire - 56.​
Most clearances: Harry Maguire - 201.​
Most aerial duels won: Harry Maguire - 150.​
Most touches: Harry Maguire - 2,080.​

Data Source: https://fbref.com/en/squads/19538871/Manchester-United

Last edited:

Red00012

That Pogba stat is damning. It just shows what creativity we have without him and pre the Bruno arrival.

yet it’s Pogba out

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba's stat is even better as he is among the top in PL too.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A motivated Pogba, a in form Bruno and Rashford + Greenwood taking new development leaps has my mouth salivating with Premier league contender daydreams

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
A motivated Pogba, a in form Bruno and Rashford + Greenwood taking new development leaps has my mouth salivating with Premier league contender daydreams
Add Maguire and AWB, two of the better defenders in the world, we have the start of something special. Go Ole!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Five and top. Played 23% of the matches.
Lingard, Pereira, Mata. What are They?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Throughball stats are basically meaningless. It’s a pass that the best players in the league apparently only make once ever 4-5 matches. It’s an irrelevant and shit stat.

Not to mention each site doesn’t even seem to have the same numbers.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Pogba's stat is even better as he is among the top in PL too.

That is pretty incredible when put into context. It's equally impressive of Pogba and damning of the rest of the team and the other players listed.

jem

Just imagine if Martial gets some consistency.

Brightonian

Goes to show that Pogba really was our only effective creative midfielder before Bruno arrived. No wonder with him missing for most of the campaign we've been creatively barren. James being our top assist-maker is damning too.

It really is going to be a whole different story with Pogba and Bruno starting together behind Martial and Rashford and Greenwood/James/Sancho 8I

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You'll be surprised to see the amount of people who want him out when you go visit the transfer thread of Would you sell Pogba to finance a deal for Sancho?
That was after the Mods locked the performance thread and for a brief period, there was nowhere to post general anti-Pog musings (the Juventus shirt thread had run out of steam). So an exploratory ‘would you sell Pogba for Sancho’ and a ‘swap deals (e.g Pogba)’ one was quickly created so that there was somewhere safe to meet and vent.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That was after the Mods locked the performance thread and for a brief period, there was nowhere to post general anti-Pog musings (the Juventus shirt thread had run out of steam). So an exploratory ‘would you sell Pogba for Sancho’ and a ‘swap deals (e.g Pogba)’ one was quickly created so that there was somewhere safe to meet and vent.
I don’t know what’s your point there because doesn’t really matter when or what reason the thread was created. The point was there are lot of people who think we should get rid of him, and they believe getting rid Pogba so we can use the money to get Sancho is no brainer idea because the guy hasn’t been performing enough to help United & he wanted out. In reality, he’s been one of our best player, being underwhelmed by average players around him & he wanted out because the club can’t win major trophies.

SAFMUTD

Feck me that Pogba stat, and being between top of the league.

SpyLuke10

Just shows the levels of Pogba. Hes missed 80% of the season injured and hes still up there for total stats in these categories.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That really shows how fecking hopeless our midfielders are (Lingard, Pereira).

And of course Pogba has always been one of the most creative/productive midfielder in the league.

limerickcitykid

Just shows the levels of Pogba. Hes missed 80% of the season injured and hes still up there for total stats in these categories.
Category, there’s only one category. And it’s a category for a pass which apparently entire teams only attempt once a match. It’s a completely useless stat.

Just to even further it, Martial made 3 throughballs (of his 4 or 5 all season depending on site) in one match. Pogba made 2 (of his total 5) in that same exact match. What match was it? When we lost to Watford 2-0. Fat lot of good they apparently did. And funnily enough, Watford didn’t attempt a single throughball all match.

Use an actual relevant stat like chances created or xA because throughballs is a completely useless stat.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Category, there’s only one category. And it’s a category for a pass which apparently entire teams only attempt once a match. It’s a completely useless stat.

Just to even further it, Martial made 3 throughballs (of his 4 or 5 all season depending on site) in one match. Pogba made 2 (of his total 5) in that same exact match. What match was it? When we lost to Watford 2-0. Fat lot of good they apparently did. And funnily enough, Watford didn’t attempt a single throughball all match.

Use an actual relevant stat like chances created or xA because throughballs is a completely useless stat.
To be fair to Pogba, his two through balls against Watford led to clear one-vs-one opportunities for our forwards - one with Rashford’s first touch taking him too wide to shoot, and the other resulting in a Greenwood lob that landed on the roof of the net.

I get your more general point, however. But those are conventional ‘through passes’ that would draw praise for their creativity under any metric. I’m assuming another of his 5 came against Chelsea and resulted in a Rashford goal?

RedDevilUnited369

S/O to Daniel James!!!

Poor kid was thrown into the fire and still performed better than what he is given credit for.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
S/O to Daniel James!!!

Poor kid was thrown into the fire and still performed better than what he is given credit for.
I don’t agree with this sentiment tbh. I mean, this is still Manchester United, everyone takes a different route here, but because he came from the Championship doesn’t mean he can just come here and pick his nose. He’s done as well as was fair to expect I think, but we paid good money for him, he has to perform, and if he thinkS the standards are too unfair, he could have joined Leeds United instead as he planned to earlier.

If it isn’t reasonable for us to expect a player to perform, that player shouldn’t be on the pitch.

ColvaleGoa

I don’t agree with this sentiment tbh. I mean, this is still Manchester United, everyone takes a different route here, but because he came from the Championship doesn’t mean he can just come here and pick his nose. He’s done as well as was fair to expect I think, but we paid good money for him, he has to perform, and if he thinkS the standards are too unfair, he could have joined Leeds United instead as he planned to earlier.

If it isn’t reasonable for us to expect a player to perform, that player shouldn’t be on the pitch.
I think he meant the amount of criticism James has received. Some of it sounds like James was Obertan in disguise.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he meant the amount of criticism James has received. Some of it sounds like James was Obertan in disguise.
And I was referring to the ‘poor kid thrown into the fire’ bit. He’s a fecking Manchester United player, not a competition winner. This isn’t Swansea or the Championship. There are expectations to be met, so criticism is natural if you fall below.

RedDevilUnited369

And I was referring to the ‘poor kid thrown into the fire’ bit. He’s a fecking Manchester United player, not a competition winner. This isn’t Swansea or the Championship. There are expectations to be met, so criticism is natural if you fall below.
James was never supposed to be anything more than a squad player. Due to injury and a lack of players a kid who was supposed to be given time to adjust and coached like, Greenwood, Chong etc he was kinda of thrown into the fire in my opinion.

Most assists is not underperforming for a kid who was utilised manly on the right when he is naturally better on the left.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bit harsh for a kid who hadn’t played PL before and was coming into a new club, at a much higher level, on the back of his father dying. No one expected him to be in the first team so much, if you look at Oles early comments on him

jem

Judging from his post I don’t think he wants to imagine Martial at all!
It's bizarre - I still think Martial is a mouthwatering talent, and I think he was starting to put it together before the break in action.

cyberman

Is it me or does it show the unimportance of through balls? Henderson has half of KDB and a fraction of his talent.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
James was never supposed to be anything more than a squad player. Due to injury and a lack of players a kid who was supposed to be given time to adjust and coached like, Greenwood, Chong etc he was kinda of thrown into the fire in my opinion.

Most assists is not underperforming for a kid who was utilised manly on the right when he is naturally better on the left.
Squad players are expected to play well. Academy players are expected to play well. Any player on the pitch is expected to play well.

And I didn’t even say that James has NOT done well. I just had an issue of referring to him as ‘poor kid’ who has been asked to play football. He’s near on £20m player. I’m not saying he needs to be the best player in the team, but he should be giving a decent account of himself, which I have said that he has done. But the notion that his assists have been some sort of over-contribution or whatever is what I disagree with.

RedDevilUnited369

Squad players are expected to play well. Academy players are expected to play well. Any player on the pitch is expected to play well.

And I didn’t even say that James has NOT done well. I just had an issue of referring to him as ‘poor kid’ who has been asked to play football. He’s near on £20m player. I’m not saying he needs to be the best player in the team, but he should be giving a decent account of himself, which I have said that he has done. But the notion that his assists have been some sort of over-contribution or whatever is what I disagree with.
Never said it was an over contribution. I said he performed better than what he is credited for.

I find your stance on James somewhat harsh.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bit harsh for a kid who hadn’t played PL before and was coming into a new club, at a much higher level, on the back of his father dying. No one expected him to be in the first team so much, if you look at Oles early comments on him
I’m not trying to be harsh on him, I actually think he’s done well. I was only challenging the implication that he is not expected to play well or something. If he isn’t, then he wouldn’t be on the pitch. But he’s a part of this squad, and all of them, from Pogba to Brandon Williams, are supposed to contribute if they play. They are of varying levels of course, but there is a minimum level, which you should meet by virtue of being selected to take the field. If we can’t even expect anything from you at all, then surely you have no business on the pitch at that time. Perhaps when you are older and we feel you can give something, you should play.

But yea, I think James has been decent enough, all things considered, and expect him to get even better.

hmchan

Agree that we should not jump to conclusion just based on one category/parameter. But I don't think through ball stat is completely useless. Each stat has its own relevance, the most important thing is to interpret the stat appropriately together with the context of the game.

cyberman

They dont have the same role at all though. And they are both terrific footballers
So who has the role of supplying Liverpools forwards? All 3 are pacey attackers who play on the shoulder and nobody else has provided a through ball for them?

romufc

So who has the role of supplying Liverpools forwards? All 3 are pacey attackers who play on the shoulder and nobody else has provided a through ball for them?
Liverpool play a different system. They look at their full backs for creativity when dominating possession. When the front 3 get going, it is a combination of press and set one of them free or long ball from the CB;s for one to chase down.

flappyjay

Yeah people overlook this about him. He started the season on the bench only when Mata, lingard, Pereira decided not to turn up did he become a starter.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

Yeah people overlook this about him. He started the season on the bench only when Mata, lingard, Pereira decided not to turn up did he become a starter.
He started on the bench for one match, which we won 4-0 against one of the top teams in the league. He was an automatic starter every match after that. People haven’t really overlooked anything there. Mata decided not to turn up based on 4 minutes off the bench against Chelsea?