Players stepping up under Mourinho

Dir Wangem

Last season it was Valencia, Herrera, Jones, Rojo and Fellaini. This season it's been Lingard, Smalling, Shaw and Mata(to an extent).

Some of these started out bad and stepped up, and some were bad/mediocre even before Mourinho arrived. Say what you want about his excessive spending: he really seems to know how to motivate his players as well!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This season you can add Martial too, would have said Rashford but his last few weeks are very poor (shame with bit more luck he would have scored 3 goals)

Trizy

Brilliant manager. Just missing those 2-3 key players and we'll be a force to be reckon with.

If it was any other season in the last 5 years we'd be 1st or fighting a close 2nd. Pity City are in cheat mode.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think Jones has been our best defender when he's played this season, been a real leader, not sure I've forgiven him for getting that stupid injury yet though.

Donnie Brasco

Last season it was Valencia, Herrera, Jones, Rojo and Fellaini. This season it's been Lingard, Smalling, Shaw and Mata(to an extent).

Some of these started out bad and stepped up, and some were bad/mediocre even before Mourinho arrived. Say what you want about his excessive spending: he really seems to know how to motivate his players as well!
Sorry, but this is starting to piss me off. There hasn't been any excessive spending, compared to our status as a club, revenues and money in the bank there has been a normal spending.
The guy has spent as much as Klopp but less than Conte and Pep, it seems our fanbase just keeps on repeating the media bullshit.

Mourinho has performed wonders with this squad. He has improved almost every single player.

Dir Wangem

Sorry, but this is starting to piss me off. There hasn't been any excessive spending, compared to our status as a club, revenues and money in the bank there has been a normal spending.
The guy has spent as much as Klopp but less than Conte and Pep, it seems our fanbase just keeps on repeating the media bullshit.

Mourinho has performed wonders with this squad. He has improved almost every single player.
Just to make it clear: I don't personally think he's spent excessively, and I largely agree with what you write.