Players that have won two leagues in the SAME season

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So I've been thinking about this for a while and thought it must be super common. It's quite well known that the Premier League gives out winners medals to players who have played as few as 5 league games in a season, even if they move on in January to another club. Presumably, other leagues are equally as easy on giving out league titles to players not actually playing for that club at the time.

Some hypothetical examples of this (players that got winners medals after leaving their club) that got media attention at the time are;

Juan Mata. When he moved from Chelsea to United in January 2014, he would have received a winners medal for Chelsea had they gone on to win the league that season. They didn't.

Oscar. Another Chelsea departure, he left in January 2017 to join Chinese side Shanghai SIPG. This time though, Chelsea did win the league, and Oscar has a league winners medal for that half season.

Pretty sure that was a famous example before Juan Mata which I'm forgetting.

Anyway, I thought there must be examples of players winning two league titles in one season. Surely someone has moved to or from City, Barcelona or Juventus in January, and taken a league title with them?

Actually no, not that I can find.

I thought I had found one in Ritchie De Laet. He moved from Leicester City to Middlesborough in January of their title-winning season - but then I realised that Middlesborough only came 2nd in the championship.

Henrik Laarson got a Premier League winners medal for his stint here, but didn't win the league in Sweden.

Can anyone find one?

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So, the first name that you've thought of while thinking about players who have won two league titles in a same season was Juan Mata, a man who had never won a league title in his whole career?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Guedes would have at PSG in 16/17 after his move from Benfica had it not been for Monaco having a wonder season. Can't think* of anyone who came closer than that.

*google

rcoobc

So, the first name that you've thought of while thinking about players who have won two league titles in a same season was Juan Mata, a man who had never won a league title in his whole career?
Sorry that's just an example of a player who got a medal whilst now playing for that club anymore.

or rather didn't because Chelsea didn't win the league. But it got a lot of media attention at the time

Obviously if you stay in the same league you can't do it anyway

harms

Staff
Gonsalo Gedes was quite close — he had transferred from Benfica to PSG in the middle of 2016/17 season... but PSG had somehow missed out on the title with Monaco winning it that year. So, only 1 league title for him.

harms

Staff
Beckham had won an MLS Cup (it's a league's final) in 2012 and also got a medal for his stint at PSG in 2012/13.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
A player who could potentially end up winning two leagues this season is Alvaro Odriozola. Right now he is on loan at Bayern and he spent the first half of the season at Real Madrid. So it's still on and not looking bad.
To be fair he didn't play much for either club.

rcoobc

Beckham had won an MLS Cup (it's a league's final) in 2012 and also got a medal for his stint at PSG in 2012/13.
Yeah the calendar year leagues muddy the water. There are probably lots of South Americans they have done the same.

diarm

Harald Brattbakk won the Norwegian title for Rosenborg in 1997 (season ended in November) before joining Celtic in December and winning the Scottish title in May. Depends on how you match up the seasons between the two countries?

Does August to May 97/98 in Scotland match better with March to November 97 or 98? I'd argue 97 as there are more overlapping months.

Mark Lawrenson has the honour of winning the league and being relegated in the same season which is brilliant!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Sorry that's just an example of a player who got a medal whilst now playing for that club anymore.

or rather didn't because Chelsea didn't win the league. But it got a lot of media attention at the time

Obviously if you stay in the same league you can't do it anyway
:lol:

So basically the example you chose for the point you were trying to make is absolutely not an example of the point you're trying to make :lol:

Oh robocop

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I read the other day Kingsley Coman did it, but didn't qualify for a medal with the club he left. Something like that.

Skills

Snitch
Coman has won the league with both Juventus and Bayern in 15/16

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Tugay played the first half of 99/00 with Galatasaray, moved to Rangers in January for the second half of 99/00 and both clubs won their leagues.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think Daniel Amartey is one. Won the Danish league (Copenhagen) and the PL (Leicester) in 15-16.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It depends on the league system if the player is considered to have won it as well. Don't remember when they changed the rule for the PL but not all the players got medals for being a part of the squad. It used to be that you had to play X amount of games (reserve keeper excluded) and that got changed into X amount of medals that the clubs could hand out. I think it's still that way considering Pep's protest last season after they won it.

In 2015/16 Kingsley Coman played a single league match for Juve before signing with Bayern. Both clubs won the league but I don't believe he got a Serie A medal that year.

I believe I have found one. eandro Paredes. PSG bought him from Zenit in January and both teams won the league. He played 15 matches for Zenit and 16 for PSG that season.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think Daniel Amartey is one. Won the Danish league (Copenhagen) and the PL (Leicester) in 15-16.
Here he is with both medals. :lol:

Cloud7

A player who could potentially end up winning two leagues this season is Alvaro Odriozola. Right now he is on loan at Bayern and he spent the first half of the season at Real Madrid. So it's still on and not looking bad.
To be fair he didn't play much for either club.
How's he been doing? Guy was an absolute wonder signing on FIFA

rcoobc

Tugay played the first half of 99/00 with Galatasaray, moved to Rangers in January for the second half of 99/00 and both clubs won their leagues.
You are right but it wiki doesn't show him having a winners medal for 2000 in the Turkish league

rcoobc

It depends on the league system if the player is considered to have won it as well

I believe I have found one. eandro Paredes. PSG bought him from Zenit in January and both teams won the league. He played 15 matches for Zenit and 16 for PSG that season.
Looks like he has both medals and at least he has played a decent number of games

Tel074

Haha this made me chuckle

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
How's he been doing? Guy was an absolute wonder signing on FIFA
At Bayern he had no impact at all. He rarely played because Pavard adapted very well to the RB position and therefore barely missed a minute. And the little time he spent on the pitch, he looked completely out of place, out of touch with the rest of the team and anonymous at best.

stubie

Leigh Griffiths (2013/14)

League 1 and the Scottish Premiership

Cloud7

Shit whenever he played for Bayern. Completely out of sinc with everyone else.
At Bayern he had no impact at all. He rarely played because Pavard adapted very well to the RB position and therefore barely missed a minute. And the little time he spent on the pitch, he looked completely out of place, out of touch with the rest of the team and anonymous at best.
Well that's disappointing to learn. Thanks.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Barcelona won La Liga in 17/18. If we’d won the Champions League then Coutinho would’ve ended up with a league/European Cup double.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The first couple of names that spring to mind are Ivica Olić and Jiří Jarošik. From what I recall, the former won the Croatian First League with Dinamo Zagreb and the Russian Premier League with CSKA Moscow in 2003 and the latter won the Russian Premier League with CSKA Moscow and the English Premier League with Chelsea in 2005. But upon closer inspection, it seems that Jiří Jarošik did not qualify for a medal with CSKA Moscow. Olić should be cool, though (corroborated with transfermarkt statistics)...

https://www.transfermarkt.us/ivica-olic/erfolge/spieler/7427

For United, the closest is probably Zoran Tosić, who was part of two separate title-winning campaigns in the same season: Serbian SuperLiga with Partizan and the Premier League with United in 2009, but wasn't an official winner with the latter as he made only 2 league appearances (at the time you had to play a minimum of 10 matches to qualify for a medal).

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesj/joegchamp.html
http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/engchamp.html

0le

Moura won two trophies, one each for two clubs, in the same calendar year, but they were not two league titles.

SerenityValley

Billy McNeill managed both Man City and Aston Villa in the same season - with both clubs being relegated.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s happened this season with Japanese winger Minamino. Salzburg & Liverpool.

Ghanaian Midfielder Daniel Amartey won the Danish Premier League with Copenhagen & the English Premier League with Leicester the same season back in 15/16.

harms

Staff
Bump. Álvaro Odriozola will get two medals this season – La Liga's and Bundesliga's.