Players that shouldn't have been sold

CM10

There aren't really any that I feel strongly about now. Herrera, if that counts, maybe.

Blind was possibly done away with too quickly but I don't really care about that. Januzaj was probably mismanaged by van Gaal but didn't seem to have the right temperament either.

SteveW

Rafael, Nani, Evans. Smalling should not have been loaned either.

Dr. StrangeHate

Only Blind shouldn't have been sold. He was sold due to Jose's outdated concept of a defender.
Zaha and Memphis benefited from being sold. They would have remained stagnant at United. We should have put a buy back clause like Memphis in Zaha's contract to. We can thank Woodward for that as well.
Believe it or not Jones and Smalling were more promising than Evans when we sold him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Shouldnt have been sold - Wilifred Zaha? Zaha was sold FIVE years ago. In that time he has been an ok striker for Crystal Palace in the championship and PL. First of all: Zaha is 26. He's as good as he's ever going to be as a footballer.

He's had 2 ok good seasons in 17/18 and 18/19 with 9 and 10 PL goals total respectively.

Zaha has 45 CAREER goals since 2009. 45 goals in 10 years. 13 goals in 4 seasons in the championship. 32 goals in 7 seaons in the Premier League. He's got 2 FA cup goals and 1 League Cup goals in his entire career, so he's not a cup monster either.

Sure he could be a useful complimentary player now, but should we have kept hanging on to him the past 4-5 years to wait for him to become useful? He's not been a goal scoring striker up until the past couple years. That s a long time to hang on to a player that's not good enough to play for the club.

At least Marcus Rashford has scored 10 goals in a season, at 5 years younger.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The only two I miss and feel could contribute to the team are Blind and Januzaj.

Foxbatt

FFS he's been shot for years. It's got nothing to do with Pelligrini. Accept it and move on.
He went to Real from United and did not play much. Then he went to Leverkusen and scored a lot of goals for them for a couple of years. He now has joined for Sevilla. The same club that put us out of the CL when Jose was manager. Sevilla is a decent club.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He went to Real from United and did not play much. Then he went to Leverkusen and scored a lot of goals for them for a couple of years. Then he went to West Ham to play in the PL and stunk the place up, eventually being allowed to leave at the age of 31 because he wasn't deemed good enough for a team significantly poorer than we are. He now has joined for Sevilla. The same club that put us out of the CL when Jose was manager that has no relevance on how good he currently is.
Edited for you. I think you need to give your a head a wobble.

meamth

Can't believe Memphis in that list. He is an absolute cringeworthy player.

Calls himself king, lion, rap star. You guys panic when Jesse makes cringe stuffs, imagine this guy still at the club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Can't believe Memphis in that list. He is an absolute cringeworthy player.

Calls himself king, lion, rap star. You guys panic when Jesse makes cringe stuffs, imagine this guy still at the club.
I think you've missed the point. Nobody would care about a player off the pitch activity if he delivers on it (as long as he doesn't do something that affects the club negatively). Depay is a better player than Lingard

C'est Moi Cantona

We'd unquestionably have a stronger squad now with, Zaha, Keane, Evans, Depay, and Blind in it, all sold for less than we paid for Fred.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Rafael at a push is the only one I thought we should have stuck with and didn’t agree with selling at the time. We’ve struggled at RB for years and he’d have been useful, depending on his injuries.

Always though Fletcher could have played for longer, looked very good at stoke after he left us.

The Depay shouts are ridiculous, he was bloody useless for us. Absolutely the right thing to do to sell him, big time Charlie who crumbled under the pressure. I’d rather have kept the rat than him.

Robbie Boy

I literally would have sold all mentioned by the OP bar maybe Zaha. Even then, he wasn’t ready for a big move and he has hughly improved since he left. I still don’t really rate him that highly though.

Acole9

Outstanding
There's not really anyone that sticks out. Only really Stam but that was a long time ago now and possibly with time maybe Lukaku but his attitude was poor. I'd have Zaha back at United but selling him at the time was the right thing to do, he wasn't ready to play for a big club.

Zlatattack

Nani comes to mind. It was his time to step up.

Zaha should have been given support, he's an excellent player today.

Rafael - He was never going to be the new Neville, but he was decent going forwards and would have been good to alternate with Valencia. Albeit Valencia was excellent around the time Rafael was sold.

Hernandez - Could have been a decent backup striker, rotation option. Was never a 20 goals a season guy, but was still decent.

Not sure about Memphis, he hardly seemed to do anything when he was here. He was very languid. Maybe he would have improved with a second season?

Blind also was slow AF. Imagine him and Matic in the same side, with Pogba and Memphis ahead of them. Can't run and won't run...

TBH though - it's not like any of them, other than Zaha have gone on to be superstars (yes Blind did very well at Ajax).

meamth

I think you've missed the point. Nobody would care about a player off the pitch activity if he delivers on it (as long as he doesn't do something that affects the club negatively). Depay is a better player than Lingard
Well I don't care. There's a limit in being cringeworthy.

Memphis isn't even that good, add that to his level of cringe.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rafael
Januzaj
Zaha
Blind (especially as we didnt have a good ball playing defender)
Chicharito

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Rafael. We had to sit through years of Valencia and Young stinking the right back position up.

I thought Varela could've made the step up. He played a big hand in the first few goals that Rashford scored for us.

I wonder how things might have turned out if Van Gaal hadn't narrowly missed out on fourth the year he got the sack.

RedDevilRoshi

Rafael. We had to sit through years of Valencia and Young stinking the right back position up.

I thought Varela could've made the step up. He played a big hand in the first few goals that Rashford scored for us.

I wonder how things might have turned out if Van Gaal hadn't narrowly missed out on fourth the year he got the sack.

I personally think he would have got sacked regardless if we finished in the top 4 that season. Especially with Mourinho available at the time. I think that’s who Ed really wanted.

Castia

Memphis had to be sold, he couldn’t even control a football in the end he was completely useless. One of the worst players I’ve seen wear a United shirt in his time here, fecking cringeworthy.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The only player that we’ve let go and we’ve shot our selves in the foot is Herrera. Completely ejected any form of ‘midfield’ from a team that was already struggling.

In a few years we will look back at this and realize that was the final nail in the coffin before we became consistent mid table finishers.

SoCross

Definitely Nani.

Blind and Evans would have been two I’ve persisted with as well.

Josep Dowling

I think Zaha should have been sent out on loan and selling him for £2m was terrible business.

Other than that we weren’t wrong in getting rid of most of the players that have gone. It’s the ones we have bought in that’s the issue. This summer it was a lack of signings that will cost us this year.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah none of them really. Our problem has been replacing mediocre players with similarly mediocre or worse players. If our recruitment was on point nobody would be pining for Rafael, Chicharito or Nani, never mind Depay, Zaha and Blind.

Hughie77

In the last 6 years? If I pick one maybe Zaha, but Daley Blind I liked I think we should still have him in our squad?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Are those suggesting Zaha doing so because of what he did at United, or what's he's doing at Palace now? Because I honestly can't remember a single thing Zaha did in a United shirt. I just remember him being a worse version of Nani.