Players that shouldn't have been sold

Ballist1x

Zaha didnt get a chance:(

Memphis was awful for us though and got a lot if chances.

Welbeckham

Blind
Evans
Rafael
Herrera (sort out the contract)
Zaha
Hernandez
Nani

Strong disagree on Depay. Maybe converting him to striker could’ve worked but as a winger he’d never have made it. He got plenty of chances to prove himself and was atrocious.

I’ve always defended Blind and Evans’ performances here and will always defend them. After Rio and Vidic, these are the best two CBs we’ve had during last ten years. Both are terribly underrated and should’ve been kept much longer.

snowkarl

Should not have been sold or pushed out of the squad;
Daley Blind
Wilfried Zaha
Angel Di Maria (admittedly more his fault than ours imo but hey he has been insane at PSG)
Jonny Evans: got sacrificed because everyone was crying about our 3 British centre backs while ironically we got rid of the best and kept Smalling/Jones, which in hindsight was an obvious disaster decision
Herrera should have been offered an extention years ago and once he got dropped by Ole last year we started hemorrhaging points and it's obvious we needed someone like him and Fred has been a car crash since joining

Memphis has become good but was justifyable sold after shit performances but wish he could have made it here. Same with a few others.

Martialfc

Smalling (loan)
Hernandez
Herrera
Zaha
Blind
Rafael

Those 6 should never have been sold. Especially Rafael and Hernandez. What a play Hernandez was he lived for this club and broke down in tears when he was told LVG wanted to sell him. Admittedly, he didn’t have a good first touch but he used to score so many winners and important goals and was always happy to play and gave it his all. I never really rated Nani don’t get why people miss him.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I'm just laughing at people saying Di Maria..

The wrong sales are players who cared about the shirt and were good performers. Nani and Rafael fit this category.

Also, Rafael's case is much worse since we had to improvise someone in right back for the years to come. LvG was just shocking..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Zaha - could have loaned him out
Memphis - he was rubbish but maybe another loan
Blind - the most obvious one. Foolish decision
Smalling - I wouldn't have even loaned him

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Why are so many people mentioning Nani? He was nowhere near good enough after he left. Was just ok with us in the portuguese league and he failed pretty spectacularly with both Lazio and Valencia.

Got injured all the time

haram

Why are so many people mentioning Nani? He was nowhere near good enough after he left. Was just ok with us in the portuguese league and he failed pretty spectacularly with both Lazio and Valencia.

Got injured all the time
People cannot seem to understand that the problem was not some of these players leaving, it was how we replaced them.

BaneIsPain

Blind is the most obvious choice. Herrera as well. Zaha never get opportunity here

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I agree with those I the OP and add Chicharito, Evra and Blind,who I've always thought was impressive as DM.

Smalling is out on loan, but I'd rather we sold the other CBs and keep him.

Jericho

A lot of people saying Memphis. I haven't seen much of him for Lyon, but is it possible he only looks good now because he's back playing in lower level league?

Eddy_JukeZ

None.

They were all sold, because they weren't good enough or no longer good enough.

The problem has always been with incoming players and not outgoing players.

I suppose Herrera is the only one you can argue, but his wage demands as rumored were exorbitant.

Gopher Brown

I’d always be wary when a player is signed then immediately sent back on loan like Zaha was. I think players need a clean break to get into the mentality of playing for their new clubs. I think Zaha could have been more of a success if he had been made part of the squad when we signed him, even if that did mean he didn’t play much in the first 6 months.

Depay was the slowest winger I’ve seen since Ben Thornley, and had fewer tricks than Antonio Valencia. We were correct to sell him regardless of how good he then became (which still wouldn’t be up to what we need).

Eoin McMahon

Always felt we should have payed the money for Tevez was a great player for us always gave 100% was painful seeing him at City however have you ever noticed he rarely smiled after leaving United.
Also I would have liked to see if Mourinho could get the best out of Di Maria. Zaha is worth a mention and would be an upgrade on the RW for us but I think he would have only progressed under Ferguson dont think he's would last under LVG, Mourinho if he didn't last Moyes. Diego Forlan became a top striker after leaving us but at least we have his goals against Pool.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doh, don't know how I left out Herrera (not sold I know).

Main players I wouldnt have gotten rid of would be Blind, Herrrera and Smalling. And as I mentioned, Zaha and Memphis should have been loanl.

Eoin McMahon

Doh, don't know how I left out Herrera (not sold I know).

Main players I wouldn't have gotten rid of would be Blind, Herrrera and Smalling. And as I mentioned, Zaha and Memphis should have been loanl.
Funnily enough I always felt Herrera just wasn't a top player and I always felt he was replaceable don't get me wrong he's a good player but just not at the level we should be trying to reach. I also respect him for his passion and love for the club and wish him all the best.

Blind while a technical footballer just doesnt have the physical side of the game that is essential in the PL especially for a defender. I would rather Jones leave than Smalling but doesn't really matter considering they were 5th and 6th choice CB.

Zaha would be a good signing now but i feel he was unlucky to be signed as Ferguson was leaving probably wouldnt have progressed as much as he has if he had stayed. Memphis-No. Was expecting big thing from him too after his performance in the WC but a bad attitude from the moment he stepped into Carrington was always gonna be a problem.

NJM78

In recent times, Zaha and Depay definitely...if they had come through the academy it seems we would have shown them more patience.

Both would walk into our current 11 right now.

Also keeping Rafael could have saved us some awful Valencia and Young at right back moments.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
In the last 6 years which players the fans and the club were impatient with and should've been given more chance?

Considering the amount of ins and outs in that period, I only found four that I think still had more to give to the team and much better than a lot of dross that remains to this day on the club's books.

Zaha
Memphis
Evans
Blind

Any other additions?
All of those were totally right at the time though.

Memphis looked totally out of his depth and had one trick - that only worked against dutch teams.

Zaha was totally not ready, with nothing to suggest he'd develop here.

Evans was pure muck in his last year, and Blind barely got a look in at times, and was shoehorned into defence, when we'd bought him as a centre mid who'd just won player of the season in Holland!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
None, really, but we'll massively regret selling Lukaku by the end of this season, that's for sure, mainly because we didn't replace him.

iHicksy

Nani.
Zaha.
Evra (season too early at least)
Rafael (Another player who maybe wasn't top top quality but got the club and in a position we needed, even as cover)

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
None of the mentioned players. If they stayed you would be screaming "sell him" in 6 months or year.
For me only Beckham. Maybe Stam. Probably.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Memphis was nowhere near good enough and still isnt. He scores some goals for Lyon but his performances there aren't even good. Overrated.

Zaha IMO would never have developed properly here, and now he would just continue being inconsistent.

Agree with Evans and Blind, though Evans needed a change for himself to get fit and become a regular starter which he struggled with at United.

Robbie Boy

Zaha - could have loaned him out
Memphis - he was rubbish but maybe another loan
Blind - the most obvious one. Foolish decision
Smalling - I wouldn't have even loaned him
In fairness Zaha had two loan spells and didn't look great during either. We should have kept Blind as a squad option but the others, I would have sold. Obviously I would have kept Smalling ahead of Jones and Rojo, but I wouldn't lose ay sleep over the decision to get rid.

Jonno

LVG re-trained the entire squad on his philosophy and style of play and tried to flog anybody who didn't fit it.

I think Rio Vidic, Evra Rafael and Evans all leaving within a year or so of each other was a bad move. They had so much success together at the back. I'd have phased them out much slower instead of bringing in the likes of Blind, Rojo, Darmian etc who were far inferior.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Rafael is the one that springs to mind for me. And Evans. The fact we sold both for next to nothing was even more infuriating. Blind is a good shout too, I think he would get into our starting 11 now (especially with Shaw being injured).

Was a big fan of Nani but he was definitely past it by the time we got rid.

Memphis and Zaha are easy to say in hindsight but there weren't many complaints at the time.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
In the last few years, I'd say Blind, Fellaini and Smalling.

Blind's a quality player. Never understood why he got played so little and never as a DM.

Fellaini seems the worst of these given how light we are in midfield, but Ole must have felt there was both a good chance of Herrera staying and that a further signing would be made in the summer. Neither happened.

Smalling is possibly still our second best centre back, assuming Maguire becomes the first. Still never sure on Lindelof, Jones is always injured, and Bailly is way too eccentric.

Red4Life_#7

Blind - He had some much to offer.
Nani - Skillful player who had PL experience.
Rafael - Good player.
Di Maria - Would have done better with time.
Evans - PL player, Smalling, Jones and Rojo are no better.
Zaha - Should have gone out on loan for 1-2 years, then made a decision.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Apart from Rafael and Zaha, I didn't think offloading anyone was a mistake when we did. With benefit of hindsight, I would go with

Rafael - much better player than Darmian and suited to modern game where you need FBs to provide width.
Zaha - Would be one of our best wingers
Keane - Would have been good squad player
Evans - Good chance he would have been our first choice CB
Depay - Looking better as a 9.
Blind - Like Evans, he would have been our first choice CB.

Somehow we have signed inferior players to replace them and wasted so much money.

Darmian instead of Rafael - 12 million
Zaha instead of Mkhitaryan - 25-30 million
Keane instead of Rojo - 16 million
Evans instead of Lindelof/Bailly - 30-35 million

TRUERED89

In the last 6 years which players the fans and the club were impatient with and should've been given more chance?

Considering the amount of ins and outs in that period, I only found four that I think still had more to give to the team and much better than a lot of dross that remains to this day on the club's books.

Zaha
Memphis
Evans
Blind

Any other additions?
There really isn't any others you can mention and add to the above list. But, Evans shouldn't be in that list he had plenty of time/opportunities.

DCP

Nani,
Zaha,
Rafael,
Michael Keane,
Blind

billybee99

A fit Evans would be starting now next to Harry, and probably captain.
This Evans stuff needs to stop. Do people forget how bad he was in his last couple of years with us? That last season was absolutely diabolical. The entire stadium would groan or gasp every time the ball went near him. Credit to him for rebuilding his career but he is at his level now. Don't want.