Players that shouldn't have been sold

SAFMUTD

Can't remember anyone worth mentioning after Tevez, all this posts about Blind, Evans, Depay, Herrera, Zaha, etc and the reality is none of them would make a difference in our team. We need way more quality, is more a problem about not bringing proper replacements rather than selling the wrong players.

I Am Zlatan

Pogba, we shouldn’t have let him leave, but I guess it wasn’t in our control so I don’t know if it counts or not

Jericho

Rojo shouldnt have been sold........

To united
He hardly ever plays, and when he did he had a decent partnership with jones for that short period when they were both fit. Don’t understand why people have such a problem with the guy.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
Chicharito (never understood the rush to get rid of this guy)
That was due to Van Gaal’s obsession with pointless possession football. He needed to offload forwards and spend big on midfielders. Chicharito’s poaching style and his lack of quality in build-up play didn’t fit the “philosophy”. Then his missed penalty in a friendly and the famous Van Gaal “look” to Ryan Giggs was his death knell.

Revaulx

This Evans stuff needs to stop. Do people forget how bad he was in his last couple of years with us? That last season was absolutely diabolical. The entire stadium would groan or gasp every time the ball went near him. Credit to him for rebuilding his career but he is at his level now. Don't want.
It was a little bit more complicated than that.

He was terrible in Moyes’ season. LvG gave him a decent chance at the start of his first season but he was absolutely diabolical, both in the experimental back five (which quite a lot of posters on here thought he’d prosper in) and a back four after the five was abandoned. The MK Dons debacle was probably his nadir, after which he was dropped.

Later on in that season our usual centre back injury crisis resulted in him being forced back into the side. He actually had a decent run of form, but it all ended when he received a lengthy ban for spitting “at” a Newcastle player. That incident exhausted LvG’s patience and he was unceremoniously sold. I don’t remember anyone on here crying over the decision at the time.

Revaulx

Fergie has written that his first mistake as United manager was selling Peter Davenport. This is really interesting as he hardly set the world ablaze either at United or in his subsequent career. I think his problem was that he was signed (and deployed) as a straight replacement for Hughes when the latter was shipped off to Barcelona, whereas he wasn’t remotely the same type of player.

Andersonson

Some never learn. See alot of posters mentioning Memphis...

I guess 90% havent seen him for Lyon, but base this on you tube highlights. Atleast I hope thats the reason, atleast thats explains it.

jackal&hyde

Nani for me. I was also sad to see Kagawa sold and Blind is a class player, though if Lindelof gets so much hate for not being dominant in aerial duels then Blind would have gotten the same treatment.

Lee565

Lukaku, considering we didnt have no replacement for him and dont say Greenwood, we shouldnt be throwing that kind of pressure on the shoulders of a 17 year old.

To think he played a huge role in helping Solskjear just before he get the permanent job with his displays in the fa cup against arsenal and Chelsea, his goals against PSG, crystal palace and his match winner against Southampton, without them performances I cant imagine Solskjear would have been given the job.

Chabon

LvG gave him a decent chance at the start of his first season but he was absolutely diabolical, both in the experimental back five (which quite a lot of posters on here thought he’d prosper in) and a back four after the five was abandoned. The MK Dons debacle was probably his nadir, after which he was dropped.

Later on in that season our usual centre back injury crisis resulted in him being forced back into the side. He actually had a decent run of form, but it all ended when he received a lengthy ban for spitting “at” a Newcastle player. That incident exhausted LvG’s patience and he was unceremoniously sold. I don’t remember anyone on here crying over the decision at the time.
This is a majorly inaccurate summary. He actually got injured in the fifth game of the season (we were 2-1 up at the time, see if you can guess which match it was) and didn't come back until we thumped Liverpool just before Christmas. When he played for the rest of the season he was mostly fine, and then, yeah, that 'spitting' nonsense happened and noted brain-genius Louis Van Gaal decided Paddy McNair was a better bet and sold him, cheered on by the typically astute fans we find on the caf. He's certainly a much better defender than anyone we've had at the back since we sold him, with the possible exception of Maguire.

Also, holding that semi-legendary MK dons result against any one other the manager who put out a midfield pair of Anderson and Kagawa is ridiculous.

Revaulx

This is a majorly inaccurate summary. He actually got injured in the fifth game of the season (we were 2-1 up at the time, see if you can guess which match it was) and didn't come back until we thumped Liverpool just before Christmas. When he played for the rest of the season he was mostly fine, and then, yeah, that 'spitting' nonsense happened and noted brain-genius Louis Van Gaal decided Paddy McNair was a better bet and sold him, cheered on by the typically astute fans we find on the caf. He's certainly a much better defender than anyone we've had at the back since we sold him, with the possible exception of Maguire.

Also, holding that semi-legendary MK dons result against any one other the manager who put out a midfield pair of Anderson and Kagawa is ridiculous.
Well Anderson and Kagawa had many admirers on here! It was a collective failure and why Evans should escape criticism is beyond me.

As I said, he was decent once he was back in the side. He had a history of being an idiot though: Rio’s spit-roasting party; him and Rooney getting dropped against Blackburn (?) by SAF for breaking a curfew; more recently a drunken escapade in Barcelona involving a stolen taxi when he was captain of West Brom. Despite all those A*s at GCSE :)

Can you provide any statistical (or other) proof that the bolded bit is true? He didn’t exactly have clubs queuing up to sign him from lowly West Brom.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Memphis is still just as inconsistent from what I've seen and heard. Highlights player.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was a little bit more complicated than that.

He was terrible in Moyes’ season. LvG gave him a decent chance at the start of his first season but he was absolutely diabolical, both in the experimental back five (which quite a lot of posters on here thought he’d prosper in) and a back four after the five was abandoned. The MK Dons debacle was probably his nadir, after which he was dropped.

Evans could work if he had one of the all time Prem greats like Ferdinand or Vidic next to him, but otherwise never cut it for me, and loads of others.

Dreadful near the end.

The uncomfortable irony now, is that we have Lindelof - who someone very sharply described as basically being the Swedish Evans - ie not fast, dreadful in the air, decent at interceptions, decent at passing. But not at all what a first choice centre back should be at United, despite the strange shift in mindset that he has turned around totally from appalling to a certain starter.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Memphis is still just as inconsistent from what I've seen and heard. Highlights player.
It was that uncomfortable realisation that he's a one trick pony.
Starts out left, cuts in.

Looked good v two dutch teams in europe and that was it.

Chabon

Can you provide any statistical (or other) proof that the bolded bit is true? He didn’t exactly have clubs queuing up to sign him from lowly West Brom.
I don't have any 'proof' beyond how incredibly mediocre the United careers of every fecking CB we've had in recent years except maybe Smalling has been, but that argument about nobody wanting him at West Brom seems odd when Pep bid for him more than once.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I could always tell Depay had quality. He just wasn’t right for us then and probably still wouldn’t be now. Zaha had a shit time by his account, coming into an awkward and shitty setup. He would’ve flourished in Fergie’s set up and been made to feel at home. It wasn’t our choice that he went though.

Revaulx

I don't have any 'proof' beyond how incredibly mediocre the United careers of every fecking CB we've had in recent years except maybe Smalling has been, but that argument about nobody wanting him at West Brom seems odd when Pep bid for him more than once.
Oh did he? I don’t remember that. He also bid for Sanchez and Fred ;)

The mediocre careers of some of our CBs have not been helped by their terrible injury records. Evans’ was as bad as any, but seemed to miraculously improve as soon as he left United. Maybe our training and/or treatment methods are at fault, rather than just having bad luck with crocks.

AshRK

Hernandez. Atleast he knew how to score goals. Shame he was let go for peanuts.