Players turning United down

RoyH1

It is what it is. No one, absolutely no one gets all the players they target. Not even Madrid which is considered by many a career pinnacle. Some turn them down too.
As soon as we’re back in CL discussion we’ll have big names wanting to be here

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Nice though it would be to believe that all our players who were successful here and seemed to love the club weren't here for the money, a lot of them were. If we hadn't been willing to pay some of them more than they'd get elsewhere, they'd have gone elsewhere. No different to players we'll target in the present and in the future. Money has always been a massive factor in how we attracted the players we did.

Just because your previous prostitutes told you they loved you, it doesn't mean they did either.
Sorry to hear about that mate

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I sometimes feel players don’t actually care where they go. The champions league motive isn’t that important. A good sign on fee, good wages and they’re set.

mikeyt

Players turn clubs down all the time, this is such a lazy story as usual in the tabloids these days. United have been crap and aren't in the CL so lets write a story about players not wanting to go there because they aren't in the CL and are in the process of clearing out a poor culture. Lets see who we actually sign before we worry about loads of players turning us down...

romufc

Players turn clubs down all the time, this is such a lazy story as usual in the tabloids these days. United have been crap and aren't in the CL so lets write a story about players not wanting to go there because they aren't in the CL and are in the process of clearing out a poor culture. Lets see who we actually sign before we worry about loads of players turning us down...
This.

Its quite funny that players say they want CL but its really over hyped imo.

We signed Zlatan and Pogba when we didnt get CL. Also, we dont have CL, does that mean a player would rather go to Arsenal than us? A team who haven't been in the CL for 9 years?

I think players look at the project and financial package more than CL. I reckon United can offer the same package that a club in the CL can offer.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
51m :lol:

This deal has been done for years, no-one else was in the running so we, Liverpool, Real, Barca and Bayern would’ve been no where near doing a deal. The entire release clause was to allow a City or PsG to pretend they are only paying a small fee whilst the player, his agent and his Dad make more combined (in Abu Dhabi side deals) than Dortmund.
So true, there is no way Dortmund just suddenly settled for so much less that the release clause. The side deals in place with player, agents, dad, Dortmund may never come out in public but sure 51m sounds very nice to the Fair play people.

GazTheLegend

@bosnian_red bookies have us 1/4 on to sign de Jong already and the M.E.N. is reporting seriously on it. Barcelona need him gone by June 30. If that happens this thread and the general air behind it (doom and gloom United) needs nuking once more

crossy1686

career ending
Thuram turned us down for Juventus, Benzema and Zidane turned us down for Madrid, Hazard turned us down for Chelsea, VVD turned us down for Liverpool, and so on. It happens all the time, not everyone just wants to uproot their whole life and move to Manchester when there's other options and better money on the table/potential to win things elsewhere. Nothing story

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
We dont want any players that turn United down. This is Manchester fecking United and we will have an abundance of players dying to play for us. We are football. None of these pansy-ass, dick- tugging, smile-for-the-camera overpaid prima donnas. We need real men. Men who puke, men who poop on the field, men who deliver their new born baby on the side lines then continue playing while eating the amniotic fluid for energy. fecking hardcore, dick-in-the-ass butterball football. Feck it, chuck it, game time shit. Manchester United are back, baby - but only if we sign players who want to play for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
@bosnian_red bookies have us 1/4 on to sign de Jong already and the M.E.N. is reporting seriously on it. Barcelona need him gone by June 30. If that happens this thread and the general air behind it (doom and gloom United) needs nuking once more
I really don't see De Jong coming. At all. We'll see I guess but I'd be shocked if he came this summer. Next summer would be a different situation.

I'm far from doom and gloom though! Just being realistic though. We are not shopping in the elite player market this summer, nor do I think we should. We need to go for hungry players who want to take the next step up and grow into top players, and for that to happen at United. Guys like Kamara, Darwin, Timber, Antony for example. De Jong is a star name leaving a club he doesn't want to leave to a team which probably wouldn't be his first choice were he to leave, and while I think it'd work out fine because of the Ten Hag connection, it's hardly the change in culture that we should be doing.

GazTheLegend

I really don't see De Jong coming. At all. We'll see I guess but I'd be shocked if he came this summer. Next summer would be a different situation.

I'm far from doom and gloom though! Just being realistic though. We are not shopping in the elite player market this summer, nor do I think we should. We need to go for hungry players who want to take the next step up and grow into top players, and for that to happen at United. Guys like Kamara, Darwin, Timber, Antony for example. De Jong is a star name leaving a club he doesn't want to leave to a team which probably wouldn't be his first choice were he to leave, and while I think it'd work out fine because of the Ten Hag connection, it's hardly the change in culture that we should be doing.
Agree generally but. 1) I would NOT be shocked if Frenkie de Jong came to United. Ten Hag's influence alone should give us a fighting chance, and Manchester isn't so far removed from Holland culturally. and 2) we've either been let down by the players or scouts for the so called elite players, unfortunately. So many have failed so badly. If we're honest, Pogba, Sancho and Varane have been absolutely disastrous signings in a few different ways, -despite- their clear talent.

But I've always been more excited by the Herrera type players that come in and leave a mark on a club by showing they genuinely care about it. Hungry players who do anything to win, not guys that have already done it and don't have anything to prove anymore. How the feck Varane and Ronaldo didn't improve our side I'll -never- understand, but maybe that's a part of it.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Whether it’s a bad source or not, it won’t be a surprise if players we want this summer doesn’t want to join us in our current state. No matter how great our history is, we’re a shocking sack of shit at the moment.

Anyone who thinks that we can still lure players in are being incredibly naive. History doesn’t matter as much to players as we like to think. They want success and we don’t look like getting much success at the moment, hopefully that’s subject to change under Ten Hagg.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Whether it’s a bad source or not, it won’t be a surprise if players we want this summer doesn’t want to join us in our current state. No matter how great our history is, we’re a shocking sack of shit at the moment.

Anyone who thinks that we can still lure players in are being incredibly naive. History doesn’t matter as much to players as we like to think. They want success and we don’t look like getting much success at the moment, hopefully that’s subject to change under Ten Hagg.
If you want success though, you can only join 5-6 teams in Europe, currently. Would De jong join Arsenal or Spurs over us because they're in the CL and we're not next season? - I doubt it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

this

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
@mitchmouse mate everyone I know has been telling me the same for years. "As if Di Maria would join you with no CL! AS IF POGBA WOULD Join you! Why would Falcao play for man Utd with no CL! As if Madrid would sell Varane to United! Ronaldo is going to choose City! Sancho is too good for man Utd he won't go there!"

Etc etc etc right up till we sign Frenkie de Jong in 2 weeks time
oddly, I never heard any of those!

Bondi77

If players were so focused on going to a Champions League club then they would go to a Benfica or a Porto or the like FFS!
Players that are on 350-500k a week at Utd would love to play Chmps League every year but anyone that thinks that is their main goal need to get off the gear.......the competition that really matters to them is who can get the biggest signing on fee and the biggest wage.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It all boils down to money/wages. Everything else are media driven attempts to romanticise the sport. The truth is brutally transactional

Tarrou

Didn’t even both to look at the article, what’s the point?

I’ve said this a few times but I think we should ban creating threads based off of what the red-tops have to say

it’s horseshit

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Obviously players want to be playing CL football, but joining a team who isn’t in it for season doesn’t mean they won’t be in it the season after. There’s still lots to play for such as the premier league and other cups, the premier league in it self should be an attractive proposition. Hopefully players look at ten hags Ajax and it persuades them to join us and be apart of his new rebuild to get us back to the top.

jesperjaap

Didnt read the thread, but of course players turn us down. Players want to go to huge clubs woth history but clubs that can also win trophies.

Just look at Serie A, nobody would turn down Milan in the late 80s and early 90s, Juventus too all the way through the 90s. Liverpool are a historical club but couldnt attract players as they werent in a good state to win trophies. Even French clubs like Marseille and Monaco were a huge pull as they are big clubs.

Bayern are always in the running for titles, the league doesnt offer huge competition and beyond Dortmund never really has.

There are only are only two clubs that always entice the best even in weaker spells and that is in Spain.

Regarding us, we never really went for huge world signings, we were hampered by the wage structure as well, I remembe rlots of links to playrs like Batisuta, we simply couldnt sign them because of the money in Serie A compared to here.

Veron and it was thi scentruy was the first big foreign signing we ever made and we have been turned down by plenty from then on. Its no surprise we are getting turned down by bigger targets that the biggest clubs are after, especially as we have struggled the last decade.

The only thing that HAS changed in that way for me, we always used to sign the best players in the premiership and young British players.....that hasnt been the case pretty much ever since Fergie retired, that is where we have lost out, Bellingham being an obvious recent example.

What I do find crazy and not sure if its quoted or rumours with DeJong, is when players turn down a clubg because "they arent in the champions league"....such a short sighted reason over one season in my opinion

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
@mitchmouse mate everyone I know has been telling me the same for years. "As if Di Maria would join you with no CL! AS IF POGBA WOULD Join you! Why would Falcao play for man Utd with no CL! As if Madrid would sell Varane to United! Ronaldo is going to choose City! Sancho is too good for man Utd he won't go there!"

Etc etc etc right up till we sign Frenkie de Jong in 2 weeks time
Bang on mate.
And we've shown everyone, shown everyone I tells ye.

(Tries not to realise West Ham will push us to 7th if they win their last 2)

Abraxas

Can't see the merit in the story.

It's obvious Bellingham is not easily attainable this window for anybody unless they go mad. Dortmund prefer to sell over time not all at once and crippling themselves.

Rice is not really for sale as West Ham don't want to do business at a reasonable level.

The Phillips thing is a rehashed story from months ago. If they get relegated and we're the club in for him he says no does he? Bollocks.

Haven't even seen us linked with Savic for years so probably another totally made up idea.

We'll have no bother attracting top players. Don't get sucked into the negativity and find better sources for news would be an idea.

Hughie77

If players turn us down according to the shit wipe daily papers, they always put a top name that wants more , UTD are in for so and so when there contacts are nearly up ffs.
Never heard so much drivel in my life.
The player will come for the right contract.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We are where we are, no good pretending we're not less attractive. We don't want to start sounding like the Liverpool fans of 5 years ago.

We're there as a step up and an outside bet of a trophy for most players. We shouldn't force it through excessive wages.
With an exciting new manager and Ronaldo up front. Still plenty of appeal and if the players aren't interested after they get the pitch, no problem, on to the next one.

dinostar77

51m :lol:

This deal has been done for years, no-one else was in the running so we, Liverpool, Real, Barca and Bayern would’ve been no where near doing a deal. The entire release clause was to allow a City or PsG to pretend they are only paying a small fee whilst the player, his agent and his Dad make more combined (in Abu Dhabi side deals) than Dortmund.
Also haaland has a new release clause in his contract with city that activate ls in two years time for something like £150mil.

90 + 5min

Not saying I entirely believe the sources (Star and Mirror) but did say about six weeks ago that I wouldn't be surprised if our targets turned us down...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...s-midfield-bellingham-26936006?int_source=nba
Nothing strange turning down clubs. Players have different choices in life. Not just from football perspective.

In this specific case. No problem. One more overhyped player that would just cost ridiculosly amount of money producing nothing. Yet, should I say.

lsd

The Oracle
Couldn't get past the cookies in the Mirror or Star's websites.

Why is it that there Mail is such a horrible newspaper but by far the best website

OleGunnar20

To be honest, it might be a positive thing on the whole, superstars and 'Sure thing wonderkids' turning us down.

We need to be so much smarter in the market, pick up gems at affordable prices ala Brighton, Leicester etc. Once we can build a competitive squad this way then sure, the odd marquee signing could slot in, but we'll never build a competitive side until we really wise up.