Players we could sign right now

Mark Pawelek

What would be stopping us in January signing these 3 players each under 25 million.

Emre Can, did really well with liverpool and for whatever reason thought Juventus was the better destination when they had signed ronaldo but it seems like sarri ain't really interested in him and he's free to play in the Europa league if we reach the knockout stages because sarri didnt include him in the champions league squad.

Alderweireld - the guy is better than lindelof, spurs are in a mess with loads of players wanting to leave and he has only 6 months left on his contract come January

Ryan Fraser, only 6 months left on his contract in January, can play left, attacking midfield and right wing, would get into our current first team as either an attacking midfielder or on the right wing as he's better than the likes of lingard and mata by some distance and would even put up a fight for the left wing role against James.

All 3 players are at good ages for their position on the pitch.
Emre Can - contract up 30 June 2022. Not next year.
Alderweireld - aging. Possibly better than Lindelof, especially in the air. But buying him blocks Tuanzebe's development. I like Tuanzebe.
Fraser - good shout. Would be a descent squaddie for either wing.
Dani Olmo: Contract up next summer too. Can play any of #7, #10 or #11.

I'd get Dani Olmo + Fraser in January for less than £50m combined. I estimate: £30m + £20m. I realize Fraser plays for a club who should be beneath us in the league; but I'm pragmatist. Fraser looks good with his left or right. Tenacious too. Yet we really need a proper centre forward to make the best of his crosses.

No Can do. Even if Juve want only £25m. ex-Pool. I'm just not allowed to buy him. Those are the rules.

Mark Pawelek

20m for Fraser who's contract is up in the summer? :lol:
It'll be a bidding war out there. I admit: if only one club considers buying him it should be a lot less than £20m. But Transfermarkt have him valued at £27m. 66% of £27m = £18m. It would depend on him. Does he demand a starting place, or will he be happy to play reserve for us (ideally reserve to Olmo), perhaps with guaranteed cup matches. I know he's not top quality, but he's a bit of warrior. We should certainly get Fraser is we can't get Olmo or another for RW.

JoaquinJoaquin

I still think if we are willing to pay (big if, mind) then Maddison would be attainable. Personally i'd go for Bruno Fernandes as he provides goals and assists we desperately need.

I think we will go for Dembele as the ST option.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I just don't see any Premier League team as being willing to be selling to us in January, especially a club such as Leicester who don't need the cash and have genuine ambitions for themselves.
Why would they sell us Maddison (for example) for £60m in January..??
It makes absolutely zero sense for them unless an absolutely ludicrous fee was thrown at them.
So Premier League wise, I can only see someone like Eriksen, whose contract is running down, as being a realistic option.

But then looking longer term, would Eriksen be the player that we'd want in preference to Maddison..?

I think that if we want to sign anyone, and someone that "fits into the long term plan" then we have to be looking at Europe.
Moussa Dembele could be a good option from Europe, especially as he has experience of British football and is apparently 'unsettled' at Lyon.
He might just give us the goals that we desperately need to turn things around for the 2nd half of the season.

If that signing did happen, then perhaps, this dictates that Rashford cannot be played at #9 and this would benefit his performances too....and perhaps my glass is half full...?!?!

Our Midfield is just shambolic, there is just nothing positive to say, even McT, to my mind, probably shouldn't be a first XI starter, but he has been our best MF by a distance...!!

I'm sure that Pogba will be sold, and that should be £120m in the transfer kitty for next Summer to build a new Midfield.

dev1l

January is always difficult for signing players. The only "top" player which may be interested is Erikssen - as he s clearly unhappy over there. But again he wants Spain if the press is to be believed.
I cannot definitely see Maddison/Rice or Sancho leaving in January.
Then there s Mandzuikic but he s not exactly a top player.

JoaquinJoaquin

I just don't see any Premier League team as being willing to be selling to us in January, especially a club such as Leicester who don't need the cash and have genuine ambitions for themselves.
Why would they sell us Maddison (for example) for £60m in January..??
It makes absolutely zero sense for them unless an absolutely ludicrous fee was thrown at them.
So Premier League wise, I can only see someone like Eriksen, whose contract is running down, as being a realistic option.

But then looking longer term, would Eriksen be the player that we'd want in preference to Maddison..?

I think that if we want to sign anyone, and someone that "fits into the long term plan" then we have to be looking at Europe.
Moussa Dembele could be a good option from Europe, especially as he has experience of British football and is apparently 'unsettled' at Lyon.
He might just give us the goals that we desperately need to turn things around for the 2nd half of the season.

If that signing did happen, then perhaps, this dictates that Rashford cannot be played at #9 and this would benefit his performances too....and perhaps my glass is half full...?!?!

Our Midfield is just shambolic, there is just nothing positive to say, even McT, to my mind, probably shouldn't be a first XI starter, but he has been our best MF by a distance...!!

I'm sure that Pogba will be sold, and that should be £120m in the transfer kitty for next Summer to build a new Midfield.
If Maddison was to angle for the move and the money we offer be high, then they may accept through gritted teeth. Maddison seems like a very motivated guy, and his heroes were Beckham and Ronaldo (im sure I read?) so a move to reinvigorate United would appeal to him i'm sure. If we offered around £75m\80m they would have to consider it. I know it's alot of money but that's the state we are in now.

Andersonson

Olmo could easily put mata/jesse on the bench same with soumare (Fred and McT)
Soumare has 10 start in the last two season in Ligue 1. He is a real talent, but a talent.... Put more talents in that squad and the odds are that we are relegated. A 20 year old talent from Lille that has 13 starts total in his career aint what we need.

Olmo I've watched several times, I think he has found his level in Zagreb

Lee565

20m for Fraser who's contract is up in the summer? :lol:
Can we afford to wait til next summer though? We need players in January and to get Fraser on the cheap is as good as it gets considering how much we need creativity in the side and would be eligible for the Europa league as well, plus he would probably cost less than 20 million as Bournemouth have demoted him from the first 11 because of the contract situation.

OleGunnar20

We need goals and assists. If we got 100m to spend in Jan I'd go for

20m - soumare (end of contract)
20m-fraser (end of contract)
35m - olmo (2 years left in contract)
25m - mertens (last year of contract)
We can sign both Marc Roca DM and Chukwueze RW January. Very achievable and very cheap and would make instant impact. Then go back to 4-3-3
I think those are some great options. Do you think Roca would be gettable in January though?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We'll be quoted insane prices in January that the board will not sanction, hope this helps.

Lee565

There is also kurzawa with only 6 months left on his contract, he would be be good competition and replacement for the injury prone shaw, better going forward for sure.

I like the soumare idea though as well, he's definitely worth a punt at a cheap price, was close to going to wolves this summer gone.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I would like to see us go after a couple players from REd Bull Salzburg. Haland the main target as a striker, but Minamino and Hwang look like good players too. MInd you, I've only seen them once but it was against Liverpool and that's enough for me :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mark Pawelek

Boubakary Soumaré
Plays in Ligue 1 for Lille.
Contract expires: 30-June-2020
Transfermarkt value: £16.2m
Defensive midfield. Likes to carry the ball forward. Dribbles. Prefers short passes. So good pass completion of 89%. Whoscored say he's a good tackler but he's not a prolific tackler. Averages about 1 tackle per game.

Advantage: Now in his 3rd season for Lille. If we buy this guy. He'll free up Pogba. If he fails we can probably sell him for more than we pay. Matic is done. Fred/McTominay are not a DMC.
Disadvantage: He's still only 20. Unproven in PL. Has not actually played that many games for Lille (considering he's in his 3rd season!).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Soumare has 10 start in the last two season in Ligue 1. He is a real talent, but a talent.... Put more talents in that squad and the odds are that we are relegated. A 20 year old talent from Lille that has 13 starts total in his career aint what we need.

Olmo I've watched several times, I think he has found his level in Zagreb
United lack quality both at squad and first team level. The players I mentioned are young, hungry and with great talent who are on cheap . At best they will become WC. At worse they will become top squad level players. I think we are past the :we don't buy this or that cause we have this shit player: phase has ended

chicha14

Surely we could do worse than signing Mandzukic and Bale ( a little too optimistic but perhaps realistic?) on a loan in January..

Mandzukic will be a great option to add a new dimension and someone to bring in when we need a goal ( which seems like all the time now) granted Martial is fit or else I would start him.

Bale would be an automatic starter on the right wing and give Rashy a kick up the backside that he so badly needs.

We also badly need a midfielder but realistically I have no idea who we could sign in January..

Just shoot me

You talk about goals & assists... and you don't even consider Ziyech??

Lee565

Giroud has only 6 months left on his contract and seems to not fit the type of player lampard prefers with even batshuayi being preferred over him now, probably could get him for dirt cheap, they may even let him go for free. He is still a French international and maybe it would be a better fit than mandzukic with him linking with the likes of martial and pogba?

Mark Pawelek

I would like to see us go after a couple players from REd Bull Salzburg. Haland the main target as a striker, but Minamino and Hwang look like good players too. MInd you, I've only seen them once but it was against Liverpool and that's enough for me :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Haaland is prolific in the Austrian league; a different kind of striker to what we have. The others aren't.

Player ------------ Season -- Games -- Mins -- Goals -- Assists -- Contract
Takumi Minamino --- 2018/18 --- 27 --- 1744 ---- 6 ------ 6 -------- 2021 --- Attacking midfield, Striker.
Hee-chan Hwang ---- 2018/18 --- 20 --- 1310 ---- 2 ------ 2 -------- 2021 --- Centre forward.
Erling Haaland ---- 2019/20 ---- 8 ---- 599 ---- 11 ----- 5 -------- 2023 --- Centre forward.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It'll be a bidding war out there. I admit: if only one club considers buying him it should be a lot less than £20m. But Transfermarkt have him valued at £27m. 66% of £27m = £18m. It would depend on him. Does he demand a starting place, or will he be happy to play reserve for us (ideally reserve to Olmo), perhaps with guaranteed cup matches. I know he's not top quality, but he's a bit of warrior. We should certainly get Fraser is we can't get Olmo or another for RW.
Can we afford to wait til next summer though? We need players in January and to get Fraser on the cheap is as good as it gets considering how much we need creativity in the side and would be eligible for the Europa league as well, plus he would probably cost less than 20 million as Bournemouth have demoted him from the first 11 because of the contract situation.
20M for an average player who has 6 months left on his deal is madness.

ExSalfordRed

2 midfielders and a striker for me, would stick Rashford on the right and hopefully sign a rw in the summer

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Rakitic & Mandzukic.

I think Rakitic is available if he wants game playing time during the season for the upcoming Euro, but we also need to consider the transfer fees & wages. Don't want another Matic's signing again. Fees like around 10m with pay cut to 120k or 130k p/w should be acceptable for his caliber. He's a playmaker which can be a good reason to sign him so we can free Pogba to advanced role. He will be suitable to play next to midfielder who has energy like McTomminay.

Mandzukic should be available. Same reason as Rakitic, if he wants game playing time during the season for the upcoming Euro then he should leave Juventus. 1 year contract with an option for extension.

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
McTomminay Rakitic
James Pogba Rashford
Martial

Bench: Mandzukic

So death to see Mata, Lingard & Pereira in XI who offer nothing.
10M and 130k p/w for Rakitic is so insulting that every Croatian player should take offense for that offer and refuse to join United.

Now, a loan on the other hand, could work for all parts as long as Rakitic wants to live 5 months in Manchester, and I dont' get why no one is looking at loans here, this season is done, you can't properly rebuild the squad in January, the next thing that makes sense is bringing loanees from other teams to salvage the season into a EL/CL spot.

Loaning Rakitic or Can, Mandzu and another players could work to solve problems in the near future.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
10M and 130k p/w for Rakitic is so insulting that every Croatian player should take offense for that offer and refuse to join United.

Now, a loan on the other hand, could work for all parts as long as Rakitic wants to live 5 months in Manchester, and I dont' get why no one is looking at loans here, this season is done, you can't properly rebuild the squad in January, the next thing that makes sense is bringing loanees from other teams to salvage the season into a EL/CL spot.

Loaning Rakitic or Can, Mandzu and another players could work to solve problems in the near future.
How can you want much much more than 10m fees from a 31/32 yo midfielder who barely get game time now with contract expired in a year and half? 130k p/w is 20k lower than his current one. Even if we make it exactly 150k, that should be the max. We can't just pull another Matic & Schweinsteiger again. Not insulting at all, acceptable fees & same wages.

Andersonson

United lack quality both at squad and first team level. The players I mentioned are young, hungry and with great talent who are on cheap . At best they will become WC. At worse they will become top squad level players. I think we are past the :we don't buy this or that cause we have this shit player: phase has ended
So you can guarantee that a player who has barely played at top level, and never played top european football will become a top squad player for is?
Damn, im glad you dont work within the club.

A player who is on the bench for a struggling Lille side against Nimes isnt what we need..... Stop judging players based on fifa or whatever.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
How can you want much much more than 10m fees from a 31/32 yo midfielder who barely get game time now with contract expired in a year and half? 130k p/w is 20k lower than his current one. Even if we make it exactly 150k, that should be the max. We can't just pull another Matic & Schweinsteiger again. Not insulting at all, acceptable fees & same wages.
Because I doubt PSG or Juve offered him lower wages than what he earns right now to lure him away from Barcelona, and 10M are nothing in the current market, he shouldn't be cheaper than Muriel, Luuk De Jong or Zaza.

The fact that you (rightly so) don't want to repeat the Matic deal with Rakitic doesn't mean his value is lower because you got burnt in a similar operation 2 years ago.

Leaving aside his fee, you don't lure away a player from a top team fighting for a treble, to a team that will fight to enter European competitions by lowering his wages.

Maybe if you're Everton or Leicester, but everyone knows United has as much money as Barcelona, independently of how much he'll play or where you end up at the end of the season, there's no reason for someone like Rakitic to accept lower wages in a worse team, he can either stay at the club and end up playing ~2000 minutes this season earning more than in Manchester, or leave to a better team than United while keeping his wage at Barcelona.

He's on ~160k por week without bonus, you're talking about 130k and god knows he won't get a bonus for winning the UCL or the EPL, would you take a 20% cut in your wages to work for a worse company?.

And it's not about his future playing time either, United have enough money to sign a better player than Rakitic this June, so he could end up earning less, living in a foreign country and riding the bench again in half a year.

There was yesterday a video by Tifo that said United's mean salary was 160k, you think Rakitic is worse than an actual average United squad player?.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So you can guarantee that a player who has barely played at top level, and never played top european football will become a top squad player for is?
Damn, im glad you dont work within the club.

A player who is on the bench for a struggling Lille side against Nimes isnt what we need..... Stop judging players based on fifa or awhatever.
Can he be worse then McT and Fred?

We are at a free fall so very few players with talent would want to join this circus. Also January window is a hostile window to make deals in. Now his English equivalent was rated 50m, which is outrageous if you ask me. If we can get him for 20m it would be a steal.

Last edited:

Lee565

20M for an average player who has 6 months left on his deal is madness.
And yet he is better than all our wing and attacking midfielder options, the guy had more assists last season than our wingers and attacking midfielders put together. I doubt he would cost 20 million either considering that eddie howe has been putting him on the bench him for not singing a new contract and Bournemouth aren't fighting for anything like relegation or top 4 so I highly doubt the club are thinking they would rather hold onto him for the whole season and lose him for free.

I dont get snobbishness our fans have towards players if they ain't big names or got a load of hype around like sancho, maddison etc.., we've seen liverpool recruit the likes of shaqiri, wijnaldum and milner on the cheap to their benefit, same for PSG this summer with gueye. Our club and majority of fans far too often turn their noses up these type of unfashionable players.

Andersonson

Can he be worse then McT and Fred?

We are at a free fall so very few players with talent would want to join this circus. Also January window is a hostile window to make deals in. Now his English equivalent was rated 50m, which is outrageous if you ask me. If we can get him for 20m it would be a steal.
How many times have you watched him and how often do you watch ligue 1? And be honest