Players we could sign right now

Withnail

I've never seen him play bit find it very odd that he stayed with Sporting last summer if he was that good.
This is the problem. The worry is he's just a medium-sized fish in a small pond and perhaps he isn't rated by the top clubs.

He's also done very little at International level which is a lower standard than the PL.

With much less time and space and a higher standard of goalkeeper in the PL, he may struggle.

All of the above, along with the fact that he only hit big numbers last year, which is quite late, concerns me. The best players tend to leave Portugal at a younger age.

Roboc7

Mandzukic is only realistic signing I see us making. He won’t be good value for money but will be way cheaper than other strikers and it postponed having to buy one for 18 months.

It’s almost impossible to work out what goes on at this club now. If we wanted to keep our net spend relatively low why are we spending 85m on a CB, is there any budget or plan or is it all just made up as we go along.

Mark Pawelek

Everyone will cost us double/triple their market value in January. Clubs know we are desperate and have the cash. I honestly can't see us doing a good piece of business.
Not South Americans. It's their inter-season. Loads of S. American player contracts end 31st December. That's by far their most common end date. They also tend to have shorter contracts with a surprisingly large number of contracts ending this December or next.

lysglimt

Scout
Sander Berge from Genk would be a good signing as cover in defensive midfield. Be available for £30 million

Lee565

Adama traore is looking good with 8 assists and 2 goals so far this season, he's still only 23 and is starting to produce an end product to his game that reminds me of prime Antonio Valencia.

Obiorahking_

This is the problem. The worry is he's just a medium-sized fish in a small pond and perhaps he isn't rated by the top clubs.

He's also done very little at International level which is a lower standard than the PL.

With much less time and space and a higher standard of goalkeeper in the PL, he may struggle.

All of the above, along with the fact that he only hit big numbers last year, which is quite late, concerns me. The best players tend to leave Portugal at a younger age.
He is clearly a big fish. if not the biggest fish. I'd take him in a heartbeat

The Irish Connection

Adama traore is looking good with 8 assists and 2 goals so far this season, he's still only 23 and is starting to produce an end product to his game that reminds me of prime Antonio Valencia.
I’d take him! He always beats his man and creates danger and wouldn’t mind being on the bench some games.

Josep Dowling

I still see a very sloppy player though. He really needs to improve his final ball.

Obiorahking_

Can you see the time and space he has for all these shots and the poor goal-keeping on display?

He could really struggle with the step up to the PL. If we're talking 70m, I think he's too much of a risk.
Except he has proven to play on the biggest stage. the quoted fee was 60 mil no?

Withnail

Except he has proven to play on the biggest stage. the quoted fee was 60 mil no?
This is a two year old highlight package from the final group game of the CL. Were Barca team already qualified for the next round at this point?

If so, it's hardly a high stake game.

Even 60m is too much imo. He's not exactly setting the world alight at International level and that's well below PL standard.

Mark Pawelek

Benjamin Whiteman. Doncaster (League 1). Midfield (box-to-box). Grew up supporting United. Played for MUFC academy. Released aged 16. Reported that Doncaster turned down an offer of £1m for him this summer.
Cameron Brannagan. Oxford Utd (League 1). Attacking midfield (but doesn't really dribble). Family are United fans. Played for United, City and finally Liverpool academies. Fee Oxford paid for him is almost certainly more than £1m (as 'Pool previous rejected a bid that size before he moved to Oxford). For an attacking midfielder he's prepared to tackle, intercept, and make defensive clearances. 5 goals + 5 assists in 15 league matches this season.

Both aged 23. These 2 are definitely Championship or Premiership potential. They have no real weaknesses in their game (rarely dispossed, good control, make over 50 passes per game, pass completion rate ~ 85%). Probably get them in January for £5m total. Pay them £30k/week each. The alternative is playing kids when another of our midfielders is injured. Christmas is a terrible time for injuries.

Last edited: