Players we need to ship out

EireRed_GS

I really wish to god the manager and coaches will suddenly come to realisation that Lingard is actually a shite option to have/ be stuck with, and ship him out in the next batch of outgoings.

But in reality, i wouldnt allow anymore out until we start bringing new quality in the door. We are already down to the bare bones with how thin we are at the minute.

Amerifan

If you go back to my original post, i didn't say it had to happen overnight, in fact i only said we ought to try to move out/replace Pogba and Matic this summer and the rest, it doesn't matter when we do it. If we can do a 1 in 1 out in January, or in 18 months time - it doesn't matter.

I'm not saying it has to be immediate - but it does have to happen. Personally i don't want to see any of them listed here at the start of the 21/22 season, but i expect realistically it'll take 3 years rather than 2 to flog them all.
My point is Pogba aside, most of the others on your list are already squad players. Clubs can rarely afford to buy squad players (unless you’re City) because what money they have goes to improving the first team. Existing squad players are pushed out by upgraded first team members. There’s never a need to replace squad players. It happens naturally over time.

Zlatattack

My point is Pogba aside, most of the others on your list are already squad players. Clubs can rarely afford to buy squad players (unless you’re City) because what money they have goes to improving the first team. Existing squad players are pushed out by upgraded first team members. There’s never a need to replace squad players. It happens naturally over time.
In our case i think there is. The drop in quality is so high that we need to buy some (not all) squad players. You're right though. Maybe if we enough first team players, we'll have enough decent players to become squad players. Realistically our squad players have to be good enough to challenge for a first team place. No good having someone who'll never trouble the person ahead of them.

beingshe7don

Lingard
Mata
Rojo
Bailly
Matic

I would even add Pogba to that list. But we need to buy replacements.
Lingard will remain here for years to come as there have been talks offering a new improved contract. Mata will probably finish his 2 year contract with us and become an ambassador. Rojo will be sold in Jan or the summer. Bailly also has had many chances to prove himself and I think he will drop behind Tuanzebe in the pecking order. Matic will leave on a free with takers like Inter and Juventus in for him. Pogba is a messy one though. If we lose him, we are no better than an Everton side as he's the only genuine world class star we have at the moment. If we got some really go players playing beside him, I think he will up his game. Pogba can't inspire but he definitely needs a strong character to be inspired by. Pogba would become a Balon Do'or winning player with the likes of Keane beside him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mata
Periera
Lingard
Rojo
Young

Matic is poor but probably can be a squad player

buckooo1978

1. Pogba
2. Matic
3. Lingard
4. Young
5. Mata
6. Fred
7. Rojo, Jones, Bailly, Periera
Why would we want to sell Pogba first. He's far from perfect and might be expendable in a Fergie team but he's literally our only midfielder that might have gotten into a Fergie side.
The games he's been injured we've looked as dangerous as a toddler with a water gun and he'd be the last midfielder I'd sell - there's no-one in the current team to put up his numbers in goals and assists and who would you replace him with? Players like Erickson aren't gonna come to United if there are better options

the rest really are expendable - possibly hang onto Pereira as a squad player but if Pogba leaves we could use 3 new midfield players which is highly unlikely

Amerifan

In our case i think there is. The drop in quality is so high that we need to buy some (not all) squad players. You're right though. Maybe if we enough first team players, we'll have enough decent players to become squad players. Realistically our squad players have to be good enough to challenge for a first team place. No good having someone who'll never trouble the person ahead of them.
I agree with you that our squad is lacking in quality. This is what really concerns me looking forward. Right now we arguably have two to four world class players. I’m hoping one of the youngsters reaches that level, but that is a long shot. Which means if we really want to mount a title run we need to buy a lot of starters. At today’s inflated transfer fees even we can’t afford more than two or three world class players a window. So three or four windows just to get a title and CL competitive starting XI. Then replacements for guys who leave, get injured, etc. Just feels like we are going be seeing a lot more of the names on your list.

meninred

a 3 year step by step approach might be the best but i dont know if fans can be patient
year 1 sort defense = get rid of young and rojo
year 2 sort midfield = we need to sign 2 players atleast and keep pogba ( get rid of mata and matic)
year 2 sort attack = sign a proven goal scorer if the current players fail.
year 3 fine tuning (as for wing i would keep lingaard as backup.)

USREDEVIL

I think everyone's in agreement as to who is surplus to requirements, save Pogba, who, I maintain will be amazing once we get a bit more quality in the side.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Young
Jones
Rojo
Bailly
Dalot
Matic
Fred
Pereira
Lingard
Mata

I don’t see enough votes from Fred, 52m for someone who isn’t any better than Gibson or Cleverley.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The thing is, Ole has really stepped his foot on the gas with the clear out. Unfortunately for him he has dumped out faster than he can bring in so we’re stuck in this limbo period where we have to play Perreira - a playground footballer - and Jesse - a pretend footballer - in our starting 11. We also couldn’t get in a CDM that can truly free Pogba from a mid 2 and give Matic the retirement he needs.

Martial, Marcus and Greenwood are wonderful to have upfront. If they stay fit. They don’t.

We need a left back that actually has a heart beat when they are in the final 1/3.

I’m pretty sure these 4 positions/roles have been very clearly expressed by Ole and co. If we can think it - they definitely have.

On to you Ed

hobbers

In order,

1. Matic - worst player in the squad
2. Mata - useless on the pitch, move him into coaching/ambassadorial stuff early
3. Lingard - if Everton paid that for Iwobi, surely we can get at least £20m for this clown?
4. Young - should have been ditched 3 or 4 years ago
5. Rojo, Jones, Bailly - the sicknote trio and world's least reliable centrebacks
6. Fred - poor guy
7. Pereira - destined for mediocrity

sparx99

Jumping the gun. I think any talk of deadwood should now come with a suggestion for viable replacements. Ship out Pogba? And replace him with who? He's leaving anyway but no one in his talent bracket will come on our current trajectory. Not without a ridiculous payrise anyway
I think Pogba should be repacked by two players. A tackling midfielder and a an attacking midfielder.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know we've probably got other threads that say the same thing. If that bothers you, please don't bother reading this one.

====

Since Ole has come in we've seen a lot of players moved on (not adequtely replaced arguably). I personally think we're scratching the surface. I think we need to accept a couple of seasons of obscurity whilst we have a major overhaul of our squad.

So far we've got rid of Fellaini, Valencia, Herrera, Darmian, Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling; not bad for <12 months work. I think we also need to get rid of;

Young, Rojo, Jones, Bailly, Matic, Fred, Lingard, Pogba, Periera, Mata.

All of these guys are either aging, under performing, not good enough, don't care enough or a mixture of these things. I think it'll take a few windows to get rid of them all, but i think this is the scope of the job.

This summer i'd focus on moving on Pogba as a priority (he wants out, we can cash in for him, probably wont sign an extension), and Matic (who is in a key position and very ineffective). The rest it really doesn't matter when we move them on. I'd prioritise it by how often they play for us, so maybe something like;

1. Pogba
2. Matic
3. Lingard
4. Young
5. Mata
6. Fred
7. Rojo, Jones, Bailly, Periera

Whilst these players are here, the quality of our squad will not be good enough to challenge for the title. Pogba should be our Kane/Hazard/Salah/Gerrard - he does it one game out of 4 i reckon. The rest just aren't of the required quality.
Just reads like a thinly disguised anti-Pogba post tbh. You’ve written a few paragraphs about the state of our squad and ended with a conclusion that of all the rubbish we have, Pogba is the biggest priority we need to get rid of. Right, course he is.

Jericholyte2

Young and Matic end their contracts this summer so I imagine they’ll both leave.

Rojo has already said he want to play or he’ll leave so I imagine he’ll go in Jan or Summer

Pereira, Mata - I could see us shipping them out in the summer too.

Jezpeza

He has to go but even SAF would seriously struggle to finish top 4 with this eleven.
Haha. I think some sort of management think tank of clough, fergie and pep would struggle to get that out of he bottom 6. Its appalling, so little strength in depth or pressure on places

Zlatattack

Why would we want to sell Pogba first. He's far from perfect and might be expendable in a Fergie team but he's literally our only midfielder that might have gotten into a Fergie side.
The games he's been injured we've looked as dangerous as a toddler with a water gun and he'd be the last midfielder I'd sell - there's no-one in the current team to put up his numbers in goals and assists and who would you replace him with? Players like Erickson aren't gonna come to United if there are better options

the rest really are expendable - possibly hang onto Pereira as a squad player but if Pogba leaves we could use 3 new midfield players which is highly unlikely
I think everyone's in agreement as to who is surplus to requirements, save Pogba, who, I maintain will be amazing once we get a bit more quality in the side.
Yeah, I think id agree with that priority list, although i'd push Jones much higher up the list. In an ideal world we'd keep Pogba but no issue if he wants out.
Just reads like a thinly disguised anti-Pogba post tbh. You’ve written a few paragraphs about the state of our squad and ended with a conclusion that of all the rubbish we have, Pogba is the biggest priority we need to get rid of. Right, course he is.
Like all of you, I'd like to keep Pogba but I think he wants out. If you read my previous posts I've defended Pogba and wanted to keep him, but his continued inconsistency and downing tools, I think we ought to sell whilst we can.

We won't have any players of his quality in our team in the near future I fear.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Gk: Grant
RB: Fosu Mensah
CB: Jones and Bailly
LB: Young and Rojo

DM: Matic
MC: Andreas, Fred
RW: Jesse and Mata

This season
- Jones, Young, Rojo, Matic, Mata

Next season the rest

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Forgot he existed. Another overhyped nothing player. Was supposed to be the next big thing at RB, CB and even DM according to the caf.
we do love to hype our kids don't we? Greenwood does seem to be special though. Hopefully he'll start scoring a goal at least every 3 chances rather then 10

MrBrightside1989

At the start of the season I was all for pereira getting games and thought he could do a good job, I was wrong, I have No faith in him now at all, he offers very little and seems off the pace. He certainly should not be starting on his current form.
I just hope he can prove me wrong...?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Keep Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Mctominay and the three new signings.

The rest can leave.

Josh 76

Shipping out is not the problem. We have done that....and we are even worse off. Get them in.....then think about shipping them out!

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
People are so ignorant :lol:

They think a roster is only composed of world class players. Hey, people.

You need a Pereira contract, or a Baily contract to be able to fit world class players. United doesn't have nearly enough money to have 15, 16 world class salaries in the squad.

fps

You move out 1 2 3 5 6 and there isn't even a first-team squad any more.

Kag

De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Pogba, James, Gomes, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood.

Outside of that lot I’d happily see the back of every other player in the squad.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Keep de Gea, WB, James, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford and Maguire.

SER19

Young
Jones
Rojo
Matic
Mata
Pereira
Fred
Pogba
Bailly
Sanchez

1 in in January, 5 next summer

Squad next summer

De gea, romero

Wan Bissaka, maguire, lindelof, tuanzebe, Smalling as sub, Shaw, Williams, Dalot

Mctominay, New CM, New CM, New experienced CM back up, Gomes, Garner, Lingard

Sancho, James, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, experienced striker.

23 players.

Whatever about the diabolical football solskjaer at least seemed to show some sort of strategy with transfer plans.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Like all of you, I'd like to keep Pogba but I think he wants out. If you read my previous posts I've defended Pogba and wanted to keep him, but his continued inconsistency and downing tools, I think we ought to sell whilst we can.

We won't have any players of his quality in our team in the near future I fear.
Well the club have begun talks over a new deal for him. Your position should surely be that you hope he signs it and stays, as opposed to refuses to sign and leaves.

The extent of his ‘desire to leave’ is largely unknown on this forum. If he stays and signs then that is that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
1 Matic (He's a passenger when playing)
2 Mata (Deadwood, no leg, no end product)
3 Pereira (Not good enough)
4-5 Chuckle Brothers (Time to move on)
6 Sanchez (Doesn't deliver, wages is too big)
7 Lingard (Time is up, not showing any improvement)
8 Bailly (Injury Injury Injury. But I'll change my mind if he does well playing next to Maguire)
9 Mensah (If he does well when he comes back from injury then keep him)

10 Chong I will loan him out, if a club wants to buy him then welcome. (Yes Big surprise that I write the teenager off, but I don't see him to be good enough).

The ones that I don't mind to keep for one more season for backup: Young & Rojo.

jackal&hyde

Easier to list the players who should stay
True that.

I'd have DDG, Magure, Bissaka, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, James and McTominay as players that i think can be part of a winning squad. Then there are some question marks like Shaw, Lindelof that i would keep. The rest of them (not including the youth) are to be sold IMO.

Walters_19_MuFc

Young
Bailly
Rojo
Matic
Fred
Pereira
Mata

We need:

Two defensive midfielders (playmaker and ball winner)
An attacking midfielder
Two wingers
Centre Back

Young
Bailly
Rojo
Matic
Fred
Pereira
Mata

We need:

Two defensive midfielders (playmaker and ball winner)
An attacking midfielder
Two wingers
Centre Back
The problem with getting rid of that many players is that we wouldn't have any squad players left :lol:

Walters_19_MuFc

The problem with getting rid of that many players is that we wouldn't have any squad players left :lol:
Martial
Rashford Attacking Mid Right Mid
Defensive Mid Pogba
Shaw Maguire Tuanzebe Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

Romero Lindelof Dalot McTominay Lingard James Striker​

Garner, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood should all play bit part roles.

AlwaysRed66

Martial
Rashford Attacking Mid Right Mid
Defensive Mid Pogba
Shaw Maguire Tuanzebe Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

Romero Lindelof Dalot McTominay Lingard James Striker​

Garner, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood should all play bit part roles.
You want to get rid of those players, so the likes of Chong can play? Hilarious. He is useless.