Players we should sign this summer

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Since we have long summer and transfer window ahead, why not name the positions you think we need to reinforce most this summer, and top 3 players of each of our most needed position you want most, and also name the price you would go for such players. I'll have it started first:

CB
1. Varane (50m)
2. Romero (50m)
3. Kounde (40m)

DM
1. Camavinga (50m)
2. Locatelli (40m)
3. Rice (40m)

The White Pele

At centre-back, fortunately I think there is quite a good market this summer with a few good options at reasonable prices.

I would go
1. Varane 50m
2. Kounde 40m
3. Torres 40m

Varane maybe isn’t the profile of player we would usually like to go for but if available at that price it’s hard to look past his quality and experience. Hope he still had the hunger for it.

Not seen much of Kounde but slightly favour him to Torres because of his pace.

Defensive midfield is key if we want to realise the potential of both Pogba and Bruno. It’s hard to identify a player that ticks all the boxes here.

1. Rice 50m
2. Camavinga 35m
3. Bissouma 50m

Having watched the Euros I’m starting to favour Rice. He hasn’t lit up the tournament by any means but he’s starting to make me believe he has the discipline and personality to play with Pogba. The latter is important because I think anyone partnering Pogba needs to be prepared to make demands of him when needed. I think Rice has those leadership qualities and would be a good presence in the team.

I don’t think Rice is worth more than £50m in this market, which I don’t think will be enough to get him. Maybe £60m at a stretch if United believe he is the answer but difficult to justify the £80m quoted by some.

Camavinga looks exciting and seen a rumoured price of £30m which the club may view as too good an opportunity to turn down. However I’m not sure he is exactly what we need to play alongside Pogba in the short term.

Right back is another position rumoured. I’m happy with AWB but can see the need for a different option with better delivery. Trippier is the obvious candidate but at the price mentioned in the media would not make sense. I think we should be looking to spend a maximum of £10m net of Dalot to upgrade in this area.

Ranchero

Since we have long summer and transfer window ahead, why not name the positions you think we need to reinforce most this summer, and top 3 players of each of our most needed position you want most, and also name the price you would go for such players. I'll have it started first:

CB
1. Varane (50m)
2. Romero (50m)
3. Kounde (40m)

DM
1. Camavinga (50m)
2. Locatelli (40m)
3. Rice (40m)
No no no to Rice. England's most overrated.

MattofManchester

We've got Sancho.
Hopefully we get Varane.
Camavinga would be nice
And maybe a cheap first choice midfielder to come in like Brozovic would be nice. Or Locatelli if we want to be more expensive.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sancho, Varane and a good MF is a terrific window IMO. Whilst tying down Pogba.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’d like to see Sabitzer/Brozovic or another experience head and Camavinga come in for Pogba.

Topsoba or Romero for defence.

Ings if we sell Martial.

That would be more than fine with me.
Can Sabitzer play in the double pivot with Fred or Camavinga?

AshRK

Sancho
Varane
Rice/Ndidi

This would be my an ideal window. Although rice or Ndidi would be difficult so Camavinga would be also good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Sancho
  2. Varane
  3. Camavinga/Locatelli
Would be an amazing window IMO even if we sell Pogba. Think we'd be able to challenge for big trophies with this.

TheReligion

Abusive
At centre-back, fortunately I think there is quite a good market this summer with a few good options at reasonable prices.

I would go
1. Varane 50m
2. Kounde 40m
3. Torres 40m

Varane maybe isn’t the profile of player we would usually like to go for but if available at that price it’s hard to look past his quality and experience. Hope he still had the hunger for it.

Not seen much of Kounde but slightly favour him to Torres because of his pace.

Defensive midfield is key if we want to realise the potential of both Pogba and Bruno. It’s hard to identify a player that ticks all the boxes here.

1. Rice 50m
2. Camavinga 35m
3. Bissouma 50m

Having watched the Euros I’m starting to favour Rice. He hasn’t lit up the tournament by any means but he’s starting to make me believe he has the discipline and personality to play with Pogba. The latter is important because I think anyone partnering Pogba needs to be prepared to make demands of him when needed. I think Rice has those leadership qualities and would be a good presence in the team.

I don’t think Rice is worth more than £50m in this market, which I don’t think will be enough to get him. Maybe £60m at a stretch if United believe he is the answer but difficult to justify the £80m quoted by some.

Camavinga looks exciting and seen a rumoured price of £30m which the club may view as too good an opportunity to turn down. However I’m not sure he is exactly what we need to play alongside Pogba in the short term.

Right back is another position rumoured. I’m happy with AWB but can see the need for a different option with better delivery. Trippier is the obvious candidate but at the price mentioned in the media would not make sense. I think we should be looking to spend a maximum of £10m net of Dalot to upgrade in this area.
If you've been watching the Euros I'm shocked you're interested in United signing Pau Torres.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
1.Sancho, 2.Varane, 3.Camavigna

Id buy Locatelli if we sell Pogba

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If you've been watching the Euros I'm shocked you're interested in United signing Pau Torres.
Watching the Euros I can see why the Chelsea board is so cold about Rice. There are better options at half the price.

There’s definitely an element of making sure we don’t draw too many conclusions from the Euros (good and bad), but goodness me he does not look in anyway the player that we need. Him and Lindelof seem very similar, so why pay £40m for a player that I can’t see how he can improve the squad, let alone the first 11.

iHicksy

Is it just me that doesn't see it with Rice? Me and some friends all thought he was our worst player against Denmark. He was out of position - Denmark got space between him and the CB's on the few occasions they got forward. He looks physically weak and his passing is never ever penetrative or even slightly forward biased. The triangle of passing between him Phillips and Maguire last night when there was acres of space for easy forward passing was infuriating. I didn't feel he really made himself available in space for the CB's either, other than coming 3 yards to pick up a ball and then pass it back. Maybe it's just me?

Ranchero

We need to sort the wheat from the chaff. Rice is barley good enough at £50m; never mind £80m; rye buy him?, when we can get 2 (DM and RB) for the same rice.
I agree. Even at £50m he isnt worth it. He is frequently anonymous and we would be crazy to pick up on a player who in our first team actually makes us worse. At £80m...well if United want to throw money away give it to the fans.

Tallis

CB - Varane, Tapsoba, Araujo, Kounde. I think my pick would be Tapsoba

CM - can’t see past Camavinga at the moment.

jesperjaap

CB: Varane - Romero - ROmagnoli
CM1: Camavinga

Would be happy with any of these signings added to Sancho as things stand. I really would be disappointed if we sign Torres and underwhelemed if we signed Kounde.

If Pogba moves on of course I would like us to sign a second central midfielder. I dont think we need to sign like for like especially though. I think Camavinga could be the creator with another central midfielder alongside him as it would give him more freedom to dribble and give and go pushing forward. He doesnt give the long range passing but he would really help in transitions to the middle of the pitch and the creative players ahead of him:

CM2: Rice - Bissouma - Locatelli - Gravenburch

I rate Rice, just think price is too high. Gravenburch seems the closest to Pogba but better defensively, Locatelli possibly the bestin terms of playmaking while being disciplined but havent seen either of these two enough to really mae a proper informed judgement.

Of course Bissouma would bring great energy alongside Camavinga, he is quite similar which I don thtinkis a bad thing. One thing with Bissouma people dont seem to mention is that he has really good technique, his long range passing and shooting.....could in a better team compensate somewhat for the loss of Pogba...and no not comparing his ability with that to Pogba, jsut that it is there. I think its dependant on the price for Bissouma, anythign around £40m is a really good deal but I don tthink he should cost much more than that, even in premierhsip fees

Thoughts on who we should sign seemt to change all the time. But any of those centre backs, Camavinga and Bissouma with Pogba/Lingard moving on and then a net spend excluding Sancho of £30/40m looks good to me. Add in a couple more sales and we could do a wonderful summer window for a £100m net spend and only lose one first team player...adding four

jesperjaap

Is it just me that doesn't see it with Rice? Me and some friends all thought he was our worst player against Denmark. He was out of position - Denmark got space between him and the CB's on the few occasions they got forward. He looks physically weak and his passing is never ever penetrative or even slightly forward biased. The triangle of passing between him Phillips and Maguire last night when there was acres of space for easy forward passing was infuriating. I didn't feel he really made himself available in space for the CB's either, other than coming 3 yards to pick up a ball and then pass it back. Maybe it's just me?
I dont think he has been great in the Euros, but then again, neither has Phillips for me either. I liek how they both come across in interviews with there personalities and attitudes. I think Rice was anomynous rather than poor in the group games, very good against Germany, good but easy game against Ukraine.

I feel Phillips has got caught out over exhuberent with his tackling though. Given away a lot of fouls and lucky to not get more bookings. But every game there have been instances he jstu gets rolled lunging in and then the player is on the break with space ahead of him, has happened every game and the first half last night it happened loads. Apart from Pickford starting to go into nutbar mode the last coupel of games, Phillips is the player worries me most for the final.

Rice for West Ham though I think has been really good the last two seasons, I do however think the price is just way too high, especially when at th emoment there are literally loads of really good young central midfielders potentially available, virtually every single one of them at half the price of Rice, te fact a lot of them are technically better on the ball doesnt especially to me think they would be more effective as a signing fo rus, I think Rice would be a good signing....the fact they are half the price though added to that, rules im out for me. Id pay £80m for Grealish just as he is so unique in what he brings, Rice isnt, but he is a good player and he is still only 21/22 isnt he. That is kind of forgotten when we have so many good players at the moment 21 or under at the same time, but it is relevant

Superden

I very much doubt Rice would be sold by West Ham for any less than at least 60million. Probs even nearer what we've just paid for Sancho.
We should offer them a straight swap for Pogba, and Lingard for another season. London and Paris, same thing, just less Aussies/Kiwis. Job done.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't know who we should sign but I wish we'd get a hurry on and sign someone, it's been what a week since we signed anyone? Same shit every summer :mad:

paulscholes18

CB
Romero (40m)
Varane (50m)
Bastoni (75m)

DM
Phillips (30m + Dan James)
Camavinga (30m)
Locatelli (40m)

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Sancho - Done, amazing talent, exactly what we need for the RW position.
Varane - Probably won't happen but that would improve our defense a lot.
Camavinga - Amazing talent, for €30m it's a no brainer, even though he is not a "real" CDM such as Kante for example but his technical abilities and passing forwards to the final third are already amazing and would give us a new dimension to our midfield.

If we are keeping Dalot, then we need to focus on developing his defending. Only then can we see him as real alternative for AWB when he needs to rest or is injured. Otherwise we might need a back up for AWB but then sell Dalot to Milan for €25m.

I still find the biggest problem being the CDM position, i really don't see anyone realistic for us to buy. Rice/Phillips will be waaaay overpriced after this Euros and tbh i don't see anything special in either of them. Lucatelli would be the best option probably but he is almost a Juventus player and won't be cheap.

Walters_19_MuFc

No he's an attacking midfielder. I'm not sure why everyone always wants to shoe horn an attacking midfielder into a defensive midfield position. It never works.
Carrick, Scholes, and Fernandinho say hello.

We haven't got time to experiment though. Don't mind me. Just being difficult.

StonedhamsterZA

I very much doubt Rice would be sold by West Ham for any less than at least 60million. Probs even nearer what we've just paid for Sancho.
We should offer them a straight swap for Pogba, and Lingard for another season. London and Paris, same thing, just less Aussies/Kiwis. Job done.
Imagine Pogba playing for the Hammers! Hahahaha.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
We need to sort the wheat from the chaff. Rice is barley good enough at £50m; never mind £80m; rye buy him?, when we can get 2 (DM and RB) for the same rice.
Very well said. I cornt emphasize enough just how much I agree with this post.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope that we go for Romero or Botman in case we aren't able to sign Varane. Will come cheaper than Kounde, and I wasn't that impressed by Pau Torres these Euros

For Midfield, I believe it'd depend completely on Pogba. If he leaves, we need 2 midfielders - a proper 8 who is decent defensively and a 6. Else we'd need a proper 6 who has an engine inside of him. Whether this defensive midfielder is Rice or Ndidi or whoever, I dont have an opinion but I do believe that Camavinga, if bought, should be over and above these signings instead of as one of these.

Lastly, I do believe we need a backup RB - if not trippier, I wouldn't mind someone like Di Lorenzo or someone from the French league

Devil may care

CB
Varane £50M
Kounde £50M

CM
Camavinga £35M
Locatelli £45M
Bissouma £40M

We've already gotten Sancho which makes 3. I wouldn't want us to pay what Atletico want for Trippier and I can't see Aarons being any cheaper, not sure we'll get RB cover.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sancho

swap Pogba for DeLigt

offer Barca 60m + add-ons for Frankie

frankie - VdB midfield with Bruno slightly ahead

bosskeano

1.Sancho, 2.Varane, 3.Camavigna

Id buy Grealish if we sell Pogba
that looks about right.....

excellent shout though by @golden_blunder with the Frenkie call especially with Barca struggling for cash. He would be prized asset to our midfield if he could be added. That might be a better choice than buying Grealish if we sell Pogba but i can't see Barca selling him nor him wanting to come here.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
that looks about right.....

excellent shout though by @golden_blunder with the Frenkie call especially with Barca struggling for cash. He would be prized asset to our midfield if he could be added. That might be a better choice than buying Grealish if we sell Pogba but i can't see Barca selling him nor him wanting to come here.
exactly the only small flaw with that plan:lol:

bosskeano

exactly the only small flaw with that plan:lol:
well hell there always has to be one minor flaw to overcome or that shit would be too easy for Woodward/Murtaugh/Fletch. :lol:

fking hell what a group though

henderson
awb varane maguire shaw
vdb/McT/Fred
Sancho Frenkie Bruno Rashford
Cavani

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
After Sancho and Varane we need a DM all day long. I’d pay big money for De Jong and I think everyone is for sale at Barca. After that I’d love Kalvin Phillips, maybe put James and/or Tuanzebe into the deal. Locatelli interests me mucho as well.

Camavinga I see as more of a b2b Pogba replacement than a DM.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
well hell there always has to be one minor flaw to overcome or that shit would be too easy for Woodward/Murtaugh/Fletch. :lol:

fking hell what a group though

henderson
awb varane maguire shaw
vdb/McT/Fred
Sancho Frenkie Bruno Rashford
Cavani
Frenkie would play as the deepest midfielder with Bruno and Pogba ahead of him, or Bruno plus one other if Pogba leaves.