Players who are free agents end of season 2020/2021

Ish

Lights on for Luke
https://www.goal.com/en-gh/lists/ou...pyfnp1k8k2h42btsgg#1a52occujr75k1ifubl2a32gvs

Sorry for posting this if another thread exists, but i searched and couldn't find one.

We have a couple of holes to plug in our squad and possibly 3-4 first team players. With the pandemic hitting the sport hard financially, I doubt we have the budget to splash on more than 1 or 2 (max) players ready to come in for the first team/improve the first team.

So would you guys consider any of the above list of free agents to plug a hole in the squad? Some very big names on there (and obviously some are already "signed" like Garcia to Barca, Alaba to Madrid). A few of our players also coming to an end (Rojo, Mata, Cavani).

As an example, If Cavani leaves, i think Diego Costa/Aguero (not that i think he'd come to United after City)/Milik is available. Ramos being the other obvious one which we've been linked with - but he'd come at a huge wage and potentially none of the desire. Some old boys - Mkhi, Depay, Di Maria :lol: (i think he might be headed back to Argentina - or so I read).

Thoughts?

edit: here's a more extensive list according to Transfer market: https://www.transfermarkt.co.za/spi...klasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=2021&yt0=Show

Bondi77

Rather see our gaps filled with younger players within the club or with the young players we have brought in from other clubs.
I am still shaking my head over how Telles is getting game time over Brandon Williams.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Vazquez would be nice, great RB depth when we need a more attacking threat as well as being a decent RW. He could have similar impact to AWB as Telles did to Shaw.

GuyfromAustria

A few of our players also coming to an end (Rojo, Mata, Cavani).
Rojo already left, didn't he? Signed for Boca Juniors in February. Had me scared for a moment, "is this guy STILL a United player?" :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Rather see our gaps filled with younger players within the club or with the young players we have brought in from other clubs.
I am still shaking my head over how Telles is getting game time over Brandon Williams.
I would venture it's because Brandon Williams is terrible, but thats just my opinion!

K stand Red

We have Phil Jones tied down till 2023 with an option to extend for a further year. If he fulfills his contract he'd be nearing 14 years as a United player.
He is coming back as head Physio at the end of his contract he must be well qualified by now :):)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's a long time. Is your head ok?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah definitely don't fault that logic, but at times you can use with some experience in as a stop gap, while the youngsters develop, and someone they can learn from - example: Cavani & Greenwood.
Vazquez would be nice, great RB depth when we need a more attacking threat as well as being a decent RW. He could have similar impact to AWB as Telles did to Shaw.
Yeah he's been a decent convert to fullback and a decent shout, though (injuries permitting) Laird should surely be given a chance? (i haven't followed his form this season in fairness).

Lee565

Bring ravel back! In all seriousness it's a pretty lackluster line up of free agents this summer

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Jesus, I didn't think Di Maria was even nearly as old as 33.

Yeah, none of those names look all that enticing. The most enticing one is one of the ones we're losing :lol:

Boavista

Perhaps not for United, but I could see Alex Teixeira being a shrewd signing for a midtable team. He looked good in that Shakthar side before moving to China, but that was 5 years ago. Judging by his stats he kept performing for them, and that at least suggests he put in the effort there, which I'm guessing can't be said about every big player moving to China.

Still only 31, how come no one's signed him? Without a club since January apparently. Probably wants a fortune

Lee565

I didn't see the first link of free agents, there some good ones actually,

Donnarumma would be brilliant signing if de gea goes, definitely would take Ramos and modric, would solve our midfield and defence for another season for nothing, maybe we should bring mkhitaryan back on a free as well which would mean we would have actually signed sanchez for free.

Milik wouldn't be bad if cavani goes, Calhanoglu is another decent signing with his set piece ability and can play on the right I think? How old is draxler and can he play on the right wing? Draxler seems like a typical arsenal purchase.

Crustanoid

:lol: unless we've loaned him until his contract expires? But you're probably right and i missed it.
We got an option to buy him back on a 5 year deal for double at the end of the season, which I believe Ed enacted just before he resigned

RedDevil@84

This is no mystery. We cannot give opportunities to terrible players, just because of their young age. And Williams has been a horror show and a massive step down in quality. Which is why we were forced to buy Telles.

Pavl3n

How about Depay?! :nervous:
20 goals and 9 assists in 37 appearances.
Or is he Barcelona bound?

How about Depay?! :nervous:
20 goals and 9 assists in 37 appearances.
Or is he Barcelona bound?
I've watched him a few times this season, he's a good player, but he probably wouldn't fit in much more now than he did when he left. Has some very good qualities, but he's more suited to being the driving force for a team in a somewhat weaker league, imo.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Williams will soon be playing championship or mid table premier league if he doesn't drastically improve. He's a bit average

-Supreme-

End of next season will be a lot more interesting if these players don't extend their contracts in the next 12 months.

- Mbappe
- Neymar
- Ronaldo
- Dybala
- Varane
- Camavinga
- Lacazette
- Ings
- Ousmane Dembele
- Pogba

Bondi77

Williams will soon be playing championship or mid table premier league if he doesn't drastically improve. He's a bit average
Even at that level he is still better than what I have seen from Telles in a Utd jersey.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
End of next season will be a lot more interesting if these players don't extend their contracts in the next 12 months.

- Mbappe
- Neymar
- Ronaldo
- Dybala
- Varane
- Camavinga
- Lacazette
- Ings
- Ousmane Dembele
- Pogba
Plus potentially haalands transfer clause

Even if that lot move this summer it will probably be at a reduced rate (short contract plus covid finances)

We might start to see the transfer model change a little with players looking for typically a bit shorter contract (3 years) and transfer fees being much reduced... long term I guess moving more towards the nfl / nba model of free agents being the standard way people move clubs

More money in the pockets of agents and players long term but massively reduced transfer budgets for clubs

Unless the esl springs back to life the next 3 windows are gonna be interesting to watch to see how that trend develops

Mbappe on a free is just a mindblowing concept when you consider he's arguably the best player in the world and he's so young... I doubt he will end up here but I think he's the player I'd want even more than haaland ... I'd happily stick with martial for a year if it ment we could sign a pre contract with mbappe in January

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Modric would be an interesting additional to improve our midfield since we are lacking that playmaker. It’ll be like 2010/2011 Paul Scholes. Unfortunately, Perez has mentioned that he already signed a new contract.

davidmichael

Depay to cover up front and out left as Kane nor Haaland are realistic this summer due to COVID, he’s a much better all round player now than when he was here last and on a free is a no brainer.

Lucas Vasquez to cover AWB is a shrewd bit of business as he’s experienced at the very highest level, comfortable in a couple of positions and seems very level headed about being a squad player.

Those two would allow us to go all in for Sancho, Rice and a centre back if we’re able to move De Gea, Romero, Dalot, Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Mata and Chong all on at the same time too.