Players who burst onto the scene

led_scholes

Fati for Barca last year.
Donnaruma for Milan.
Michy for Swansea.
Del Piero scored 3 goals at his Juve full debut, so I m assuming it was huge back then.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Haaland? Hat trick on his Dortmund debut

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Hoilett is decent. He did "burst" onto the scene at Blackburn under Steve Kean as he looked like the only player, at such a young age, to do anything going forward for them that season. I remember there were doubts he wouldn't play for Canada as England wanted him. That didn't pan out, and he's now a solid Championship player and plays for us.

Berahino used to be a goal scoring machine. He went up the divisions and just kept scoring. Pulis & himself are to blame for his down fall...that transfer saga really set him back.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Random one but Ritchie Humphreys in the mid 90s for Sheffield Wednesday. No one had ever heard of him until he scored 4 goals in the first 5 Premier league games including a couple of worldies and helped Wednesday go top of the league. Turned shite extremely quickly after

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
R9 surely depending on what it means to burst unto the scene. I take it for someone relatively young and unknown to general masses to suddenly impress and excite football fans.

tomaldinho1

Rooney is such a great example. Did it with Everton with the wonder goal and then came here and hit a CL hattrick.

Hard to burst onto the scene as a non goal scoring player, people probably don't remember if a young CB had a good game as opposed to a striker.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ter Stegen took over Gladbach's goal while they were dead last and eventually made it into the relegation playoff and from what I remember he immediately had a stabilizing effect.

MoskvaRed

Fowler
Owen
Rooney

Both Fowler and Owen were washed up at a relatively young age. Even Wayne peaked in his mid 20s.

KeanoMagicHat

Pogba at Juventus, he went from being a good academy talent who some people trusted that Fergie had made a good decision with, to a potential future Ballon d'Or winner. The hype has settled and now he's considered a top-class midfielder but not in that category of player, but back then it briefly seemed like the sky was the limit.

Oranges038

Del Piero scored 3 goals at his Juve full debut, so I m assuming it was huge back then.
Was thinking about him earlier. He went from Padova to 40 or 50 games a season for Juventus in two seasons and replaced Baggio in the process. Although he was injured, Del Piero stepped in and due to his injury and a change of style he never got a look in again.

Also, any excuse to watch this goal.

Trequarista10

Macheda, Rashford, Januzaj and James Wilson all scored on their United debuts having not really been on the fringes of the first team nor having a loan out.

Fabregas another. Straight from Barca's academy into Arsenal's starting XI at 16.

Luke1995

Gabriel Martinelli. He was playing somewhere in Brazil and suddenly was playing well For Arsenall first team. I had not heard of him before. Seems like a great player.

KC91

Fabio Grosso at the 2006 World Cup, maybe not "bursting" onto the scene, but he certainly became a household name after that, and will always be remembered as a crucial part of that WC winning squad.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Famously Micah Richards burst onto the scene when he, when he....uhm. Yeah...

Anyway, which players burst onto the scene and what even is bursting onto the scene?

Marcus Rashford - scored 2 goals on his debut and started because everyone else was injured
Mbappe - came alive in the second of the season for Monaco when they had that great squad under Jardim
Wayne Rooney - ended Arsenal's unbeaten run with a worldy at 16 years old and looked a seasoned professional at 18
I see what you did there. Roy digging Micah out for claiming to have ‘burst onto the scene’ is now a classic moment in television history :lol:

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Slightly different to what the OP meant but maybe Arshavin?

I think not many people outside Russia really knew who he was when he had that good tournament with Russia and looked absolute quality. Signed for Arsenal soon after
I remember not only did Arsenal have a Brazilian, they had an Arshavin as well

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Erm....Ronaldo. He burst on to the scene against us and then a couple of weeks later from the bench vs Bolton. When you know...you know. I knew I’d just watched the future best player in the world that day. By the end of the season he was pivotal in our FA Cup semi final and final wins which I was at. I was also at Villa Park again for the last game of the season that year, he absolutely tore Villa apart....then ridiculously got sent off by a jobsworth referee who wanted to make a name for himself.

The best teenage talent I’ve ever seen.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Edouard Mendy? 29 years old and I don't think most of us had heard of him until Chelsea started being linked with him.

Kante, Mahrez and Vardy for Leicester

Harry Kane's breakout season

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Danny Cadamateri always sticks out to me....mid 90s at Everton he scored quite a few including a really good goal v Liverpool. Think it was the same season Owen came through so no doubt in press at the time they were claiming it was future England partnership but of course Owen went in one direction and Cadamateri drifted down through the leagues.

James Wilson signed for Port Vale from Salford yesterday so that's another from recent times given he featured quite a bit for you in 14/15.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
what even is bursting onto the scene?
First, let's look at who coined the phrase, if you will. Micah Richards. Now let's look at what he actually said.:
"Do you not remember my header against Villa"
"I played for England at 18, youngest ever defender to play for England. I would say that's bursting onto the scene"

Looking at the quote in isolation, one could be forgiven for thinking the ''header' against Villa was scored on Richards' debut. However, this was not the case. His debut was a cameo appearance in October 2005. Richards had to wait four months for his next cameo appearance. And now things start to pick up for him. After having to wait four months between two appearances, he received his next opportunity eleven days later, and to his delight, it was his first time being introduced in the starting berth. A week later he plays against Villa in the Fa Cup, and scores a header.

Why did the header against Villa generate the attention that it did?
To understand the narrative which came about, it might be worth briefly discussing Todorov's narrative theory. In 1969, Todorov proposed a theory which he believed was applicable to all films. He believed that all films follow the same narrative pattern going through
. These are the Equilibrium, disequilibrium, acknowledgement, solving and again the equilibrium.
The disequilibrium was when Villa went ahead in the 70th minute. To mirror the words of the commentator, "can't believe it, Villa have stolen the lead against Man City. You cannot believe this! But Milan Baros has put Aston Villa in front. In a game which they have barely had a sniff of the goal. And they might have one leg in the quarter final." In the 92nd minute, the score was still 1-0 to Villa, meaning they were on the brink of knocking City out of the competition to enter the quarter finals. In the last second of the game, Richards gets the equaliser. In the post match interview, Micah can hardly believe what just happened on the pitch, and now he's in unfamiliar territory, he swears by mistake which underpins a rawness in the interview, which endears him to the public, as if to say, he's one of us.

A - Being an Fa Cup tie, there was already much at stake. To score an equalizer in the last second of the game provided huge amount of drama.
B. The manner of his goal. By climbing to the top, his header was symbolic. As if to say this is a young player that will climb to the top.
C - One of City's youngest debutants and second start
D - The candid interview where he swore

These things combined, made for a story which would lead to him being praised vociferously.

I played for England at 18, youngest ever defender to play for England. I would say that's bursting onto the scene"
Micahs senior debut at club level was in 05/06. Micah's England debut was in 06/07 which suggests he doesn't necessarily think the phrase needs to be restricted to the first season per se. And through this quote, you see an example of the standard he holds. Standard - something used as a measure, norm, or model in comparative evaluations. Measuring stick is an achievement/accomplishment relative to the position/team/league/competition they're playing in.

So, what makes someone burst onto the scene

A) -
They must be vociferously praised (I think the initial point by Richards was that players need to stay grounded. In which case, the phrase is inextricably linked to exposure.)
B) - An accomplishment which sets them apart from players in their position/team/league/competition/age group
C) - Not limited to first season. ''Scene'' suggests visibility, which suggests club and International come into it.

What are the issues with this definition?
The vociferous praise, I'd say. Why? It's predicated on the reception in the media, as opposed to an otherwise good start at any given club. A CB that is defensively astute for a club which.

Give an example of a player which would meet Richard's criteria
One example would be Ansu Fati.

A) After his first start for Barcelona, his stature in the game increased exponentially, as exemplified by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) showed interest in him, with Diario AS reporting that the Spanish government had set its sights on granting Fati citizenship with a view to including him in the squad for the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup. (Taken from Wikipedia)

B) Youngest offensive player to debut for Barcelona which sets him apart from other attackers, and even offensively orientated midfielders. As according to transfermarkt, only Vincente Martinez (a defender) had an earlier debut for Barcelona

C) Visibility not limited to club football. Spain call up in second season. Ansu Fati became Spain's youngest debutant since 1936 when he took the pitch against Germany,

Finally, let's look at them side by side (Naturally, we have to give leeway to the trajectory of the club. This was before City were competitive.

"Do you not remember my header against Villa. "I played for England at 18, youngest ever defender to play for England. I would say that's bursting onto the scene. " Arguably, a case could be made that Fati also burst onto the scene. Who knows, several years from now he could be a pundit /(or a guest on one of those dramatic shows where they analyse lip reading )something along the lines of Do you not remember when I broke the internet by taking just 5 minutes to score against Inter in the group of death. I played for Spain at 17, youngest ever forward to play for Spain. I would say that's bursting onto the scene.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Hard to burst onto the scene as a non goal scoring player, people probably don't remember if a young CB had a good game as opposed to a striker.
Phil Jones had a great game vs Drogba for Blackburn.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Was thinking about him earlier. He went from Padova to 40 or 50 games a season for Juventus in two seasons and replaced Baggio in the process. Although he was injured, Del Piero stepped in and due to his injury and a change of style he never got a look in again.

Also, any excuse to watch this goal.

That was a debut goal?:eek:

meamth

The term burst into the scene for me is teenagers who peaked early/abnormal consistency before his 20s.

There are very few generational talent who achieved that, first comes to mind is obviously Rooney, and then Rashford, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Fabregas, Fati..

Mike Smalling

Bojan Krkic? Became the youngest Barcelona player to feature in La Liga and the Champions League, and scored 12 goals in his first season which he finished still aged 17. Was supposed to be the next big thing, but ended up playing for Stoke.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
First, let's look at who coined the phrase, if you will. Micah Richards. Now let's look at what he actually said.:
"I played for England at 18, youngest ever defender to play for England. I would say that's bursting onto the scene"

Looking at the quote in isolation, one could be forgiven for thinking the ''header' against Villa was scored on Richards' debut. However, this was not the case. His debut was a cameo appearance in October 2005. Richards had to wait four months for his next cameo appearance. And now things start to pick up for him. After having to wait four months between two appearances, he received his next opportunity eleven days later, and to his delight, it was his first time being introduced in the starting berth. A week later he plays against Villa in the Fa Cup, and scores a header.

To understand the narrative which came about, it might be worth briefly discussing Todorov's narrative theory. In 1969, Todorov proposed a theory which he believed was applicable to all films. He believed that all films follow the same narrative pattern going through
. These are the Equilibrium, disequilibrium, acknowledgement, solving and again the equilibrium.
The disequilibrium was when Villa went ahead in the 70th minute. To mirror the words of the commentator, "can't believe it, Villa have stolen the lead against Man City. You cannot believe this! But Milan Baros has put Aston Villa in front. In a game which they have barely had a sniff of the goal. And they might have one leg in the quarter final." In the 92nd minute, the score was still 1-0 to Villa, meaning they were on the brink of knocking City out of the competition to enter the quarter finals. In the last second of the game, Richards gets the equaliser. In the post match interview, Micah can hardly believe what just happened on the pitch, and now he's in unfamiliar territory, he swears by mistake which underpins a rawness in the interview, which endears him to the public, as if to say, he's one of us.

A - Being an Fa Cup tie, there was already much at stake. To score an equalizer in the last second of the game provided huge amount of drama.
B. The manner of his goal. By climbing to the top, his header was symbolic. As if to say this is a young player that will climb to the top.

These things combined, made for a story which would lead to him being praised vociferously.

I played for England at 18, youngest ever defender to play for England. I would say that's bursting onto the scene"
Micahs senior debut at club level was in 05/06. Micah's England debut was in 06/07 which suggests he doesn't necessarily think the phrase needs to be restricted to the first season per se. And through this quote, you see an example of the standard he holds. Standard - something used as a measure, norm, or model in comparative evaluations. Measuring stick is an achievement/accomplishment relative to the position/team/league/competition they're playing in.

A) -
They must be vociferously praised (I think the initial point by Richards was that players need to stay grounded. In which case, the phrase is inextricably linked to exposure.)
B) - An accomplishment which sets them apart from players in their position/team/league/competition/age group
C) - Not limited to first season. ''Scene'' suggests visibility, which suggests club and International come into it.

The vociferous praise, I'd say. Why? It's predicated on the reception in the media, as opposed to an otherwise good start at any given club. A CB that is defensively astute for a club which.

A) After his first start for Barcelona, his stature in the game increased exponentially, as exemplified by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) showed interest in him, with Diario AS reporting that the Spanish government had set its sights on granting Fati citizenship with a view to including him in the squad for the 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup. (Taken from Wikipedia)

B) Youngest offensive player to debut for Barcelona which sets him apart from other attackers, and even offensively orientated midfielders. As according to transfermarkt, only Vincente Martinez (a defender) had an earlier debut for Barcelona

C) Visibility not limited to club football. Spain call up in second season. Ansu Fati became Spain's youngest debutant since 1936 when he took the pitch against Germany,

Finally, let's look at them side by side (Naturally, we have to give leeway to the trajectory of the club. This was before City were competitive.

"Do you not remember my header against Villa. "I played for England at 18, youngest ever defender to play for England. I would say that's bursting onto the scene. " Arguably, a case could be made that Fati also burst onto the scene. Who knows, several years from now he could be a pundit /(or a guest on one of those dramatic shows where they analyse lip reading )something along the lines of Do you not remember when I broke the internet by taking just 5 minutes to score against Inter in the group of death. I played for Spain at 17, youngest ever forward to play for Spain. I would say that's bursting onto the scene.
I'd say your analysis hasn't taken xG into account which is how we can measure "bursting onto the scene"

Eurotrash

Messi, without a doubt.

His debut "goal" was a sweet lob that was ruled out for offside. A few minutes later, he scores an almost identical goal that stood.

This proved that the first "goal" was no fluke, he really was that good.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
i cannot find a clip of it but i remember Ribéry debuting for Bayern and instantly establishing himself as the best playern in the Bundesliga.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

A) -

Can you expand on this a little?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The young stars of Ajax in the 90’s - Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf, Edwin, etc