Players who don't fit in

Merman

to their national stereotype and sometimes underrated/considered overrated by their own fans.

Carrick - Plays like an Italian
Rio - Continental style defender. Not a natural defender like Carra, apparently.
Scholes - Doesn't run around aimlessly. He can dominate the midfield unlike most English midfielders.
Villa - Looks very unspanish to me. No wonder Spain won something at last. Reminds me of French strikers.
Le Tissier
Joe Cole - Skilful

Possibly Crespo, Rui Costa(not a wanker), Rooney(French), Heinze, Lampard

zain

Believe
Heinze for me is 'very Argentinian defender' like..

Crespo too, very Argentinian and almost comparable to Batistuta..

Lampard I'd say is fits in.

I'd say Hargreaves is hardly an Englishman with his style of play and mentality...and well..he really isn't..lol
Ashley Cole too. Rarely do you see an English wing back with his ability.

Merman

Describe french strikers for me please DR
Going by his Villa comparison, they are small, quick, busy, skillfull, industrious and great finishers.... Just like Henry, Trezeguet, Cantona, Papin ;)
:lol:I didn't mean it like that, but French strikers usually have a balance between skill and directness. Villa just doesn't seem like a Spanish striker to me.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Going by his Villa comparison, they are small, quick, busy, skillfull, industrious and great finishers.... Just like Henry, Trezeguet, Cantona, Papin ;)
You might wanna reconsider "small" :D

:lol:I didn't mean it like that, but French strikers usually have a balance between skill and directness. Villa just doesn't seem like a Spanish striker to me.
I see now.
Does Toni play like a typical italian striker ? I know I dread his style

Ekeke

I see now.
They are very, very, very direct these days it seems. Literally "Get as many players in the box and cross the ball in" direct. So in that sense he epitomises the current Italian attacking style. But he certainly isnt a typical italian striker in terms of what they've produced in the past.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
incredibly weird thread.
It's actually interesting.It's based on clichés for sure but nonetheless it's interesting
They are very, very, very direct these days it seems. Literally "Get as many players in the box and cross the ball in" direct. So in that sense he epitomises the current Italian attacking style. But he certainly isnt a typical italian striker in terms of what they've produced in the past.
Alright then

Merman

I see now.
Its hard to judge Italian strikers because they haven't really performed in big tournaments recently and I haven't watched enough of Toni, but from what I've seen in the Euros, he looked like a typical English 4-4-2 bully. He played like an Italian heskey in that tournament, couldn't hit a barn door.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Glenn Hoddle wasn't a typically English midfielder. That the kind of thing you mean?

Merman

Julio Cesar and Brazilian goalies.
I thought about it too. Ok, whats the first thing you think about when you watch players of a certain country.

Mine:

English defenders - Blood and Thunder, good headers, useless with the ball at the feet
English Midfielders - Box to box, cannot dominate possession, cannot dribble
English Strikers - Huuuuuuuge, not skilful enough
Spanish players - Suffer from the triangle passing disease. Useless flicks and tricks. Not direct enough
Argentine/Brazilian players - :drool:
Portuguese players - Diving Wankers, cnuts. Deco made the right decision
Dutch - Skilful, great first touch
Italians - Disciplined
Germans - winners
French - They have parts of every thing mentioned above. most balanced of the lot. My kind of players.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
:lol:

Neva wunce seen Mi'el Cawick playin ve piana and singin knees ap muvva braan so e carn be inglish canne?

Ole'sbodyguard

I always think threads like this overstate the issue and buy into stereotypes too easily. Hoddle might not have been a typical English centre midfielder but he was hardly a one off at the time. He was probably the best of his type around and the national side did not make the best use of his talents but there were plenty of players in the 80's with similar traits to Hoddle, just not as good or graceful or had some differences which made them slightly different. For example, Wilkins, Webb and Gascoingne were all players who were broadly around the same time who I would not class as typical English centre midfielders(like Robbo, Reid, Mcmahon, etc) who all have some parallels with Hoddle(stretching abit in Wilkins's case) and who were different to the box to box players who England always seem to have a good stockpile of.

Same with Le Tissier. He was talented as hell but there were plenty of other players who played a similar position to him in the late 80's and early 90s. Beardsley and Clough(who was a big prospect in his early days) could both play off a 'typical' English striker and whose had the ability to play in the hole. Gascoinge and Barnes could also perform this role if given a free role, although Gascoinge was never used in this way for England. Later on in Le Tissier's career Teddy and Scholes were also about. I reckon all of these players could arguably classed as not typically 'English'.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I always think threads like this overstate the issue and buy into stereotypes too easily. Hoddle might not have been a typical English centre midfielder but he was hardly a one off at the time. He was probably the best of his type around and the national side did not make the best use of his talents but there were plenty of players in the 80's with similar traits to Hoddle, just not as good or graceful or had some differences which made them slightly different. For example, Wilkins, Webb and Gascoingne were all players who were broadly around the same time who I would not class as typical English centre midfielders(like Robbo, Reid, Mcmahon, etc) who all have some parallels with Hoddle(stretching abit in Wilkins's case) and who were different to the box to box players who England always seem to have a good stockpile of.

Same with Le Tissier. He was talented as hell but there were plenty of other players who played a similar position to him in the late 80's and early 90s. Beardsley and Clough(who was a big prospect in his early days) could both play off a 'typical' English striker and whose had the ability to play in the hole. Gascoinge and Barnes could also perform this role if given a free role, although Gascoinge was never used in this way for England. Later on in Le Tissier's career Teddy and Scholes were also about. I reckon all of these players could arguably classed as not typically 'English'.
+1

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Berba -Don't really know what a typical Bulgarian player is but I'm sure none have ever been as classy as him.

G.Nev - Should have been German with that 'tache...

Justin

Kanu. African players are generally fast and powerful.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
You could argue that Benzema seems more like an English CF than a typically french one. Alan Smith with a continental reputation