Players who instantly lifted a team upon arrival

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Which players arrived at a club and had an instant impact, immediately seeming to lift their team to another level and become instant heroes to the fans?

Our most recent example is Fernandes, with everything about the team suddenly seeming to get better when he arrived and him taking to the bigger stage like he was built for it.

I thought Ibra did similar, albeit to a lesser extent and for a shorter period. He seemed to arrive pre-made as both a hero to the fans and a leader on and off the pitch, again looking completely at home as the centre of attention.

And of course the great example was Cantona, arguably the single most influential signing of the Fergie era.

I've heard it said that Kevin Keegan had that sort of impact when he arrived at Liverpool, quickly becoming the talisman of a side that would win three first division titles. And I'm sure some would argue that the arrival of Van Dijk immediately took Liverpool to another level too (even though I think Alisson and Robertson were a huge part of that as well).

Who else that sort of immediate, talismanic impact?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cantona and Van Persie our two biggest examples in the last 30 years. Bruno was making a good claim to join them though, before the 3month gap.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Payet seemed to lift West Ham instantly, not to anything particularly high but there was a bounce.

Aboutreika18

A couple from 2003/04:

Davids at Barca basically reinvigorated that side when he joined midseason.

They were languishing in midtable when he joined and they ended up finishing 2nd behind Rafa's Valencia side.

From then on, Ronaldinho kicked on, Eto'o and Giuly were signed, amongst others and the rest was history...

Leon Osman at Derby County almost singlehandedly kept them in the Championship.

They were a poor, disjointed side struggling to score goals until he joined on loan and provided a creative spark that just about kept them up.

Derby wanted to make the move permanent but Moyes brought him back to become a regular for them.

Derby ended up getting into the play-offs the following season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'll stick with Chelsea.

Juan Mata, added some desperately needed creativity and magic into a stagnant Chelsea side.

Demba Ba, purely for not being Torres.

Petr Cech, no explanation needed.

Costa and Fabregas, we lost the title the previous year due to inability to break down parked buses, they both saw to that.

Early days but Billy Gilmour looks to be in that category aswell.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cantona for us
Van Nistelrooy maybe for RM
Salah and Van Dijk for Pool

Not including Bruno as he's not been here long enough

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Arshavin when he went to Arsenal. I recall him having a pretty decent impact.
Aye definitely, then he disappeared just about as quickly.

Amr Zaki and Michu. For 6 months
I remember a good mate taking the piss about how Zaki had more goals than our entire team. It must have been early in that season :lol:

Also for Wigan, Victor Moses was a class above most players they had in the PL and lifted them hugely.

Andersonson

Tevez for City. Instantly made them real contenders. League top scorer and eventually won the league.

He was immense for them, sadly. Also was captain until he went AWOL i think

JarkiJarko

Effenberg in his 2nd Bayern stint. Thanks to him they became one of the best teams in Europe for the next 3-4 years, reached the CL final twice and won it in 2001.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I think Mane for us. He was Klopps first major signing IIRC and he scored that great goal against Arsenal at the Emirates on his debut. Van Dijk then took us to another level after that

Devil81

Cantona, plain and simple he was born to lead a team to success.

It pains me he left before we won the Champions league for a second time.

ReddBalls

I've heard it said that Kevin Keegan had that sort of impact when he arrived at Liverpool, quickly becoming the talisman of a side that would win three first division titles.
He definitely had that effect at Hamburg (won the Bundesliga and the Ballon d'or) and Newcastle (promoted to the top division) too.

I don't think even Jesus would get a better reception than Keegan got at Newcastle in 1982.

sherrinford

A couple from 2003/04:

Davids at Barca basically reinvigorated that side when he joined midseason.

They were languishing in midtable when he joined and they ended up finishing 2nd behind Rafa's Valencia side.

From then on, Ronaldinho kicked on, Eto'o and Giuly were signed, amongst others and the rest was history...

Leon Osman at Derby County almost singlehandedly kept them in the Championship.

They were a poor, disjointed side struggling to score goals until he joined on loan and provided a creative spark that just about kept them up.

Derby wanted to make the move permanent but Moyes brought him back to become a regular for them.

Derby ended up getting into the play-offs the following season.
Davids was the one that sprung immediately to mind for me.

Barcelona hadn’t won the league since 1999, finished 6th the year before and the arrivals of Laporta, Rijkaard and Ronaldinho to turn things around wasn’t working.

Davids came in at the exact midpoint of the league season, Barcelona in 7th, had been as low as 12th, 7 wins and 6 loses in 19 games, and beat by Real Madrid at the Camp Nou.

The following 19 league games saw them win 14 and lose 2, go on a 16-game unbeaten run including a 9-game winning streak, score 11 more goals and concede 11 less than in the first half of the season and beat Madrid at the Bernabeu, as you said finishing second.

A massive impact.

Luke1995

Sanchez. For Arsenal, of course. 2014-15 season was easily the best of his career.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Juan Veron’s return to Estudiantes, his boyhood club.

Helping them to their first Apertura in 23 years upon arrival, followed by consistent good form (bar injuries) and a Libertadores a few years later.

He didn’t just lift the level of the team, but the whole club, donating to improve both the training facilities and the stadium.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He made an electrifying start with Rooney for a while before things go south.

if my memory serves me correctly
But Saha arrived in Jan 2004. If anything, it was he and Ruud who formed a rather electrifying partnership in those first few weeks together and kept the club firing as the defense collapsed with no Rio. Saha was crocked the next year plus before settling in around Feb 2006.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But Saha arrived in Jan 2004. If anything, it was he and Ruud who formed a rather electrifying partnership in those first few weeks together and kept the club firing as the defense collapsed with no Rio. Saha was crocked the next year plus before settling in around Feb 2006.
Well... I guess he fits the OP.

Oh, Yorke has a very nice start to finish in 1999