Players who will flop at the Euros

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I love it when people dismiss Kane's golden boot as all pens/tap ins/deflections/against crap teams etc.

Then why doesn't an English player win it every tournament then? Bearing in mind we frequently get crap teams in our draws?

Does every golden boot winner score only against "the best"?

Siezard

Classic English flat track bully?

What on earth is that. Interested to hear this list of classic English flat track bullies when you're ready..
Flat-track bully definition: a sportsperson who dominates inferior opposition , but who cannot beat top-level opposition.

Harry Kane golden boot in World Cup 2018
6 goals (3 of them penalties, 2 other goals against Tunisia, 1 goal against Panama)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Avoiding the English squad:

Rebic
Morata
Lewandowski
Ferran Torres

Veratti will struggle to get his spot back too, but that’s not his fault of course.

JJ12

I love it when people dismiss Kane's golden boot as all pens/tap ins/deflections/against crap teams etc.

Then why doesn't an English player win it every tournament then? Bearing in mind we frequently get crap teams in our draws?

Does every golden boot winner score only against "the best"?
It’s a fair point - he was the favourite to win it and he did, too much coincidence maybe?

Although his goals and who they were against were not very impressive.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It’s a fair point - he was the favourite to win it and he did, too much coincidence maybe?

Although his goals and who they were against were not very impressive.
Scoring goals is the hardest part of football though. Who cares how they go in?

My word, we 'd be grateful of him having scored the spawniest 1 yard tap in by now in this tournament!

MU655

Flat-track bully definition: a sportsperson who dominates inferior opposition , but who cannot beat top-level opposition.

6 goals (3 of them penalties, 2 other goals against Tunisia, 1 goal against Panama)
He was also the fastest to 20 goals in CL history before Haaland.

lysglimt

Scout

So Bruno then ? :)

TheReligion

Abusive

Yes I'm well aware of that but classic implies there's been a long list of them and that flat track bullies are a specifically English thing.

So?

JJ12

Scoring goals is the hardest part of football though. Who cares how they go in?

My word, we 'd be grateful of him having scored the spawniest 1 yard tap in by now in this tournament!
And it would’ve been against weak opposition :D

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
He was good defensively vs Germany, but now in possession hes been non-existent vs Hungary.
I don’t know. To me he looks good as do France. I usually don’t focus on him but that’s what’s great about international tournament.

Hammondo

I don’t know. To me he looks good as do France. I usually don’t focus on him but that’s what’s great about international tournament.
Well usually he doesn't need to do much for France, they dominate, the other 2 midfielders do the midfield work and Pogba can do as he likes.

As usual though, put in a tight defence against him and pressure him on the ball and he runs out of ideas fast.

Sir Marcus

I said before the tournament that Mount would have a better tournament than Foden. Mount seems to turn up every week and very seldom has poor games.

Foden goes missing far too often for me. Having a stormer every 6/7 games is not good enough. Clearly has the talent but overhyped beyond belief.
Good post, I agree with this.

RedChisel

Classic English flat track bully?

What on earth is that. Interested to hear this list of classic English flat track bullies when you're ready..
I meant more that English teams/players consistently flop at major tournaments.

RedDevilRoshi

Messi.

Ronaldo's been much better already. I haven't even heard about Messi so far. Little bovine cnut.
Unsurprising tbh. He never turns up at international tournaments in the 1st place so him going missing is no real surprise.

Monkers

Memphis Depay, he was so good for us (best player with frenkie).. has been horrible the last 2 games. Keeps losing the ball, nothing gone right.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
... yet he won the golden boot at the 2018 world cup :nervous:
2 against Tunisia, 3 against Panama (2 Pens), then a Penalty against Columbia. 6 goals. Half of them penalties

Most Golden Boot winners rack up cheap goals in the group stage, so it’s wrong to pretend otherwise.

It’s also wrong to disregard penalties as you still have to score them.

But it’s more than sensible to put those 6 goals in context. 1 goal against a half decent side. That’s it. It shouldn’t be a shield that defends any criticism. He’s a great centre forward but he’s yet to have a star turn at a major tournament.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
2 against Tunisia, 3 against Panama (2 Pens), then a Penalty against Columbia. 6 goals. Half of them penalties

Most Golden Boot winners rack up cheap goals in the group stage, so it’s wrong to pretend otherwise.

It’s also wrong to disregard penalties as you still have to score them.

But it’s more than sensible to put those 6 goals in context. 1 goal against a half decent side. That’s it. It shouldn’t be a shield that defends any criticism. He’s a great centre forward but he’s yet to have a star turn at a major tournament.
Rooney only scored once in a World cup and we didn’t exactly play that many decent teams. Only tournament he ever really produced was Euro 2004. Let’s be real here.

Dominos

I said before the tournament that Mount would have a better tournament than Foden. Mount seems to turn up every week and very seldom has poor games.

Foden goes missing far too often for me. Having a stormer every 6/7 games is not good enough. Clearly has the talent but overhyped beyond belief.
And what exactly is Mount contributing so far? Our #10 hasn't looked like scoring or creating a thing. If we'd have given Foden the central spot over Mount I'd fancy he'd have had more of an impact.