Players who will still be here in 5 years time?

Skills

Snitch
Saw this thread on RAWK, so I'd like to hear the Car's thoughts on players will definitely be here in the long term especially with the recent high turnover of the playing squad after the stability under Sir Alex.

If we did this in 2010 only the following guys survive the cutoff.
Rooney
Carrick
Rafael
Nani
Evans
Valencia
Smalling

I'm pretty sure by the end of the summer Evans, Rafa and Nani will be gone leaving just 4.

Smalling
Jones
Shaw
Depay
Blind

Nickosaur

Rooney will be what, 35? Can't imagine he'll be United quality but he might want to pull a Giggs...

Wilson
Shaw
Smalling
Depay
Jones
Herrera
edit: Pereira!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Smalling
Shaw
McNair
Memphis

.....I think thats about it.

Last edited:

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
DDG :drool: - if he stays one more season, we'll get him for 5. Providing Benitez does his job and steers Real downhill.
Shaw
Jones
Smalling
Pereira
Depay
Hererra
Carrick - can see him being the 'old but gold' CM - like Pirlo and Scholes. Retires at 39.

I can't see Wilson making it sadly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
At this point I would only say Shaw reason being that unless they get over their constant injuries I can see either this manager or the next getting rid of Smalling and Jones

5 years time both Rooney and Carrick will be too old with the latter quite possibly retired while I suspect Rooney will end his career elsewhere

Hard to predict the foreign lads, Herrera and Mata I still feel could be on the fringes of things in the coming seasons, Depay could fail in the PL, Blind may be replaced by someone better albeit I suspect due to his versatility he would have as good a chance as anyone to still be here

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think the following will still be here:

Herrera
Mata
Smalling

Not Shaw. Not sure about the rest.

MoskvaRed

We know that LVG won't be our manager by then (unless he changes his retirement plans) so it's very difficult to second guess who Pep/Ancelotti/Moyes II might bring in. Assuming De Gea is off, Luke Shaw, Blind and McNair are the only ones I would be confident might be both good enough, young enough and wanting to stay.

SalfordRed1960

Saw this thread on RAWK, so I'd like to hear the Car's thoughts on players will definitely be here in the long term especially with the recent high turnover of the playing squad after the stability under Sir Alex.

If we did this in 2010 only the following guys survive the cutoff.
Rooney
Carrick
Rafael
Nani
Evans
Valencia
Smalling

I'm pretty sure by the end of the summer Evans, Rafa and Nani will be gone leaving just 4.

Smalling
Jones
Shaw
Depay
Blind
Unless DDG signs a new contract, I do not believe a single player in the current squad will be here in 5 years.

Pre-LVG players will all be gone, LVG players will either be at end of their careers so be looking for final pay day or will have been replaced by younger versions. Do not believe any of the current youth players will make it to permanent first team so will be moved on.

Pretty pessimistic and sad, but pretty likely.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
A 250lb Rooney. :lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Unless DDG signs a new contract, I do not believe a single player in the current squad will be here in 5 years.

Pre-LVG players will all be gone, LVG players will either be at end of their careers so be looking for final pay day or will have been replaced by younger versions. Do not believe any of the current youth players will make it to permanent first team so will be moved on.

Pretty pessimistic and sad, but pretty likely.
Its not likely at all, what team ever has a complete turnover in 5 years? Depay will be 26, Shaw 24, no where near the end of their careers. Adnan and Andreas have enough quality to make it, Wilson has huge potential and McNair is progressing hugely. We always have academy products in our squads.

My list:
Shaw
Depay
Blind
Jones
Smalling
Adnan
Andreas
Wilo
McNair
Then if you want to count current youth players then Tuanzebe, TFM, Gribbin and a few others like Gomes.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Shaw
Blind

Possibly Depay (unless he ends up being a flop), Jones, Smalling, Adnan, Wilson (if he makes it here), and Herrera (if he doesn't leave for Spain)

LR7

Jones
Smalling
Shaw
Januzaj
Wilson
Blind
Herrera
Depay
McNair
Pereira

Rafael should be on this list. No way should we give up on him. He's a fantastic little player and his injuries have been purely unlucky.

You can never tell with youth but I've high hopes for Pearson, Harrop, Gribbin, Williams, Fosu-Mensah and a few others....

Impossible to predict since we don't know who the next manager is. If LvG really retires in two years (I think he'll stay a bit longer though), the next manager will have had four transfer windows to make changes - anything could happen.

I suppose the ones most likely to stay are the relatively young English players who might become international quality - Shaw, Jones, Smalling. The club won't want to sell to PL rivals, and they won't be too keen on leaving England, so I can see several of they staying.

Rafael should be on this list. No way should we give up on him. He's a fantastic little player and his injuries have been purely unlucky.
I don't know how people can keep saying this. I like him too and would like him to stay, but it's fairly obvious that LvG doesn't rate him, at all.

LR7

I don't know how people can keep saying this. I like him too and would like him to stay, but it's fairly obvious that LvG doesn't rate him, at all.
Did I say he did? It's quite obvious he'll probably leave soon. But I think he's one of the players who should be here in 5 years time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shaw
Smalling
Herrera
David May
Wilson
Depay
De Gea

stu_1992

Shaw is the one I have faith in to definitely be here. Wouldn't be shocked to see the likes of Smalling and Jones here either. Most of the rest of the team are probably at an age where it's hard to say. I'd like to say Wilson, but he needs to prove he belongs yet. Depay hasn't even played for us yet, so I wouldn't comment on him.

SalfordRed1960

Its not likely at all, what team ever has a complete turnover in 5 years? Depay will be 26, Shaw 24, no where near the end of their careers. Adnan and Andreas have enough quality to make it, Wilson has huge potential and McNair is progressing hugely. We always have academy products in our squads.

My list:
Shaw
Depay
Blind
Jones
Smalling
Adnan
Andreas
Wilo
McNair
Then if you want to count current youth players then Tuanzebe, TFM, Gribbin and a few others like Gomes.
I think you are right to say potential, however, Powell and Morrison had potential. It did not get them again.

If we buy experienced Defenders this year, I do not see McNair/Blackett getting much game time and will probably be offloaded. Jones still has a long way to go to prove he can make the grade, lots of effort, but I'm still not totally sure of him. I discounted Depay as we have just bought him, and I think the OP is really talking about guys we have. Look at last year we offloaded a lot, over a 5 year period it would not be surprising to get rid of fringe players.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rooney's a dead cert imo
He has 4 more years left on his £200k+ a week contract, doesn't he? Which basically means he won't be leaving us at least until 2019 as no one in their right mind are going to pay him that.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think Smalling and Jones will still be here. Especially in Smalling’s case, since he’s proven himself to be good enough to be a starter for us and a regularly featured player, but he’s not that good to the point where teams like Real Madrid may come sniffing. Same could probably be said for Shaw, although whether he’s here will obviously depend on his development.

You’d think that Blind and Herrera could potentially be long-term players for us, although it’s difficult to tell; anything can obviously happen in the next few years, and one or both of them could fall out of favour as quickly as they fall into it.

Rooney’s a possibility, but I’m not sure he’ll end his career here, which 5 more years would suggest.

Asger

Maybe he was on the same program as Mata and Herrera before he got injured? And at that time Valencia was playing well.... Well I actually hope so!

thelemon

Carrick will still be our most important player (as he has been since the dawn of time) and we have to keep playing him because we are so bad when he is not in the team that we will get relegated if we get rid of him.

Seriously though, I think that the most likely players to still be here in 5 years are:
Smalling
Jones
Shaw
Blind
Herrera
I think that Rojo, Rooney, Mata, Januzaj and Wilson probably will be too. McNair perhaps as a last resort option for injuries.

I have only considered players have been first team players this year. However, there will no doubt be at least a couple of academy products still at the club and I assume that Depay will be as well.