Players who won't survive under a progressive manager

Idxomer

DDG, Maguire, McTominay, and AWB.

Would any of these players be starters under a progressive manager like Pep, Klopp, or Ten Hag?

Who else in the current squad would you add to this list?

Revan

Assumptionman
AWB and McTominay, no way. Maguire yes, but not as an undisputed starter, he will have to fight with Lindelof for that second place.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Obvious ones are McTominay and AWB,
Fred and Bruno Fernandes to a lesser extent.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
There isn't the funds to replace them.

The next manager will have to work with most of this squad.

100 mil will be our funds next summer. 2-3 players max will be brought in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They'd be fine. These threads are dumb. A good coach gets the best out of his players and knows how to hide weaknesses.

Lukinho

Why the feck is De Gea in there. Without him this season couldve been even worse. How can somebody be so blind.

Godfather

We won't get a progressive manager is my fear. Probably another nepotism choice judging by this fecking club

Judas

Open to offers
I'll judge these players a lot more harshly under a new manager and staff, ones with a plan, who have an identity. Who knows what they could possibly get out of this group.

Idxomer

Why the feck is De Gea in there. Without him this season couldve been even worse. How can somebody be so blind.
I like De Gea, he's an amazing shot-stopper but that's sadly not enough in modern football.

Playing with a keeper who refuses to come off his line and is a poor passer is a massive hindrance in today's football.

Lukinho

I like De Gea, he's an amazing shot-stopper but that's sadly not enough in modern football.

Playing with a keeper who refuses to come off his line and is a poor passer is a massive hindrance in today's football.
I respect your opinion but I think this has improved a lot this season. Especially his passing I think

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally think AWB could be big under Conte at RCB like azpilicueta.

However, Conte is not progressive manager.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Interesting thread. I think Pogba and Maguire would struggle. AWB would have to develop his technique really quickly. The keepers will struggle. McTominay will need to start showing for the ball.

I also think a lot of players will benefit: Garner, Mejbri, Laird, who as of yet have not had a look in. Donny if he's not been sold.

Terminator

Agreed.

Amazing shot stopper when on form but any manager who plays a progressive brand of footballer will want a sweeper keeper.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I'll judge these players a lot more harshly under a new manager and staff, ones with a plan, who have an identity. Who knows what they could possibly get out of this group.
Pretty much where I'm at with it

rooney2009

Fred, Fred, Fred, Fred, AWB, McTominay.
Fred starts for a brilliant Brazilian team
All this players play for their countries
this was a tactic issue for the last few games
We need a manager with proper tactics and technical guidance

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Fred starts for a brilliant Brazilian team
All this players play for their countries
this was a tactic issue for the last few games
We need a manager with proper tactics and technical guidance
Does playing for Scotland count as an achievement though?

Idxomer

Thread title should be changed to 'what players don't you personally like?'.
I like both AWB and DDG and kinda agree with the Pogba mention but he's leaving anyway, so he doesn't matter in this discussion.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
We all know the usual culprits. As for who would do well, I think Sancho and DVB are worth a shout. It's not surprising we can't get a tune out of them. Lindelof and Fred were the same when they arrived, but they gradually adjusted to being uncoached

Revan

Assumptionman
I personally think AWB could be big under Conte at RCB like azpilicueta.

However, Conte is not progressive manager.
Conte evaluates the positioning in his defenders more than anything else.

AWB has absolutely terrible positioning. And positioning is even more important as a CB. He wouldn't play under Conte.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maguire, McFred, AWB, Pogba, for different reasons:

Maguire - too slow, liability at the back at times, cost us many goals this season, very poor influence as a captain

AWB - as modern wing back, he is really poor at attacking. I loss count on how many chances he create for opponents when he try to run past opponents, then losing possession and out of position, then result in starting an attacking move for the opponents

McFred - can't pass, didn't do their job to protect the back 4, have no attacking qualities, and got outplayed in almost every single matches this season. Easily the worst midfielder pairs in the league at the moment, or probably the worst pivot ever in our history

Pogba - he doesn't care about the team, not a team player for us, he only plays for himself, and he is liability in defence.

Last edited:

slored1

Might sound crazy but Fernandes. Not sure how a progressive manager will stick with his tendency to play the killer ball every 5 seconds.

Kaos

DDG, Maguire, McTominay, and AWB.

Would any of these players be starters under a progressive manager like Pep, Klopp, or Ten Hag?

Who else in the current squad would you add to this list?
I actually agree with your list of players. Trouble is we don't have good enough alternatives for a couple of them.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
A name not mentioned so far, but Rashford would seriously have to retain the ball better. He loses possession way too often and often completely unnecessarily

Hammondo

There are not many players who would, as much as many here won't like it.

Hammondo

A name not mentioned so far, but Rashford would seriously have to retain the ball better. He loses possession way too often and often completely unnecessarily
And he was lazy, hes not a modern type of forward.

Idxomer

We all know the usual culprits. As for who would do well, I think Sancho and DVB are worth a shout. It's not surprising we can't get a tune out of them. Lindelof and Fred were the same when they arrived, but they gradually adjusted to being uncoached
Sancho, VDB, and Amad are all players who would thrive under a more progressive setup because they all value possession and were coached the right way in their academies.

Josep Dowling

Because his distribution is terrible and he doesn’t come out quick enough. Granted his form has been very good this season but he’s still awful when the ball is played back to him. A big issue for us this season is we have tried to play out from the back and we aren’t very good at it.

Trequarista10

It's not so simple.

Henderson and Milner aren't exactly technicians, Kante neither. Walker was a kick and run merchant at Spurs. They've all been utilised to good affect. We've seen Fabien Delph and Victor Moses play important roles in title winning campaigns in recent seasons. John Stones was a laughing stock in the early part of his Man City career.

The main thing I'd be looking for from a new manager would be getting the most out of the players, coaching them to play their part in a system, getting the most out of their strengths and accommodating for or improving upon their weaknesses. I wouldn't write off any individual players before they are given a chance in a new set up.

sparx99

McTominay could still reach the level of Jordan Henderson IMO. He’s not a holding a midfielder but he could definitely play in a gegenpress style. Needs to play in a 3-man midfield with clear instructions though.