Players who won't survive under a progressive manager

snk123

Playing with a keeper who refuses to come off his line and is a poor passer is a massive hindrance in today's football.
He really isn't a poor passer. Why would you pass to the shower infront of you knowing there is a big chance they'll lose the ball and leave another open chance?

Roboc7

Said this earlier in the week, the idea Ole has done a successful rebuild is nonsense. Who knows who the next manager will be, how they will play, which players will be part of that. Some of Ole’s signings will be deadwood, someone like DVB might get a new lease of life.

Ole can’t be blamed or credited with what happens after he leaves we can only assess him on state of team now and it’s an absolute shambles, worst in Premier League era.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What the feck has Ten Hag done!?
Was close to the CL final 2 years a go, was smashing the EL last year but was fecked when he had to play his 3rd goalkeeper (an academy kid that had a massive stinker), putting in fat results in CL groups right now.

So basically better performances than us internationally with a worse squad. Never mind the absolute trashing domestically, bringing in youth, having a coherent style of play while maintaining some tactical flexibility and creating the sum is bigger than it's part team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Conte evaluates the positioning in his defenders more than anything else.

AWB has absolutely terrible positioning. And positioning is even more important as a CB. He wouldn't play under Conte.
Ofcourse but we have only seen him with poor to average coaching so I do think Conte can get Wan Bissaka playing RCB in a back 3 which does have more defensive Lee way.

Hoboman

It's not so simple.

Henderson and Milner aren't exactly technicians, Kante neither. Walker was a kick and run merchant at Spurs. They've all been utilised to good affect. We've seen Fabien Delph and Victor Moses play important roles in title winning campaigns in recent seasons. John Stones was a laughing stock in the early part of his Man City career.

The main thing I'd be looking for from a new manager would be getting the most out of the players, coaching them to play their part in a system, getting the most out of their strengths and accommodating for or improving upon their weaknesses. I wouldn't write off any individual players before they are given a chance in a new set up.
This.

sparx99

He really isn't a poor passer. Why would you pass to the shower infront of you knowing there is a big chance they'll lose the ball and leave another open chance?
De Gea? He kicks the ball straight to the opposition 2-3 times a game. He regularly kicks the ball low through the middle of the park hitting his own players. He’s not good enough.

Several times today he should have been out on the edge of his box sweeping up through balls but hung back on his line creating a chance for Salah. It’s not good enough.

the_cliff

Fred would be first name on our team sheet :lol: :lol:, and people here saying he wouldn't play.
Bruno would defo be dropped, AWB maybe, although we don't have a decent backup. Fred, Matic and Pogba would probably benefit the most.

Idxomer

It's not so simple.

Henderson and Milner aren't exactly technicians, Kante neither. Walker was a kick and run merchant at Spurs. They've all been utilised to good affect. We've seen Fabien Delph and Victor Moses play important roles in title winning campaigns in recent seasons. John Stones was a laughing stock in the early part of his Man City career.

The main thing I'd be looking for from a new manager would be getting the most out of the players, coaching them to play their part in a system, getting the most out of their strengths and accommodating for or improving upon their weaknesses. I wouldn't write off any individual players before they are given a chance in a new set up.
Good post.

I think there are some limits to the improvement that could be done on some players. Maguire for example I always thought would be great and consistent only in a 5-3-2 setup, otherwise, I feel his weaknesses will remain exposed more often than not.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Well this is the worst opinion ever.

I should know. I’ve had loads of them
Well not over 1 or 2 transfer windows.

We already need 2 CM to begin with plus Pogba and Cavani replacements.

All with a budget of around 100mil.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Players a progressive manager would not like to play:

De Gea - Out. Bad with feet, doesn't come off his line
AWB - Benched. Not a good footballer or defender. Brilliant one on one.
Maguire - Maybe benched. He's slow and shite on the ball. Brilliant in the air.
McTominay - Out. Can't pass.
Matic - Out. Too immobile
Pogba - Will be at Madrid
Martial - Out. Doesn't move and lost all his ability.
Ronnie - Doesn'tpress. Won't play a full 90 in a close game.
Greenwood - Underdeveloped player (not that he won't develop obv)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think a new GK, rather a DM, would now be at the top of my shopping list. Regardless of the manager, you cannot hope to play out from the back with a GK who is quite clearly petrified of acting as a footballer. The only point of playing out from the back is that you have a man advantage. Liverpool could just mark us man for man as De Gea wouln’t come off his goalline. Never seen anything like it from United or any other top team, where a team attempted to play out from the back and the goalkeeper was limited to kicking the ball one yard in his six-yard box before retreating to his goal line.

If Henderson isn’t the man, De Gea certainly isn’t. I don’t care how good your shot stopping is. A goalkeeper can be so much more. It feels like Liverpool are playing with 12 men with Alisson sweeping his final third.

LoneStar

Depends on the coaching style tbh. Our most limited players like McTominay, Fred and AWB might be the most likely.

But then again, limited hardworking players can definitely play a part. Honestly, the next manager is getting a squad which is in much better position compared to LVG, Jose and Ole for sure.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
They'd be fine. These threads are dumb. A good coach gets the best out of his players and knows how to hide weaknesses.
That’s nonsense because the two best coaches in the league had to change most if not all of their players before they won anything didn’t they?

fed up of seeing things like a decent coach turns water into wine. They don’t.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Except AWB everyone will survive. This thread just creates a narrative that players are bad. They aren't. It's the coaching and manager.

K Stand Knut

Well not over 1 or 2 transfer windows.

We already need 2 CM to begin with plus Pogba and Cavani replacements.

All with a budget of around 100mil.
Absolute Bollocks.

We don’t really need to replace Pogba and Cavani, for starters

Every new manager has been backed and if you do it properly, you’d get the players for £100m. Especially with £500k/week off the wage bill with Pogba and Cavani out of the door (presumably we’ve lost Lingard out of the door as well).

B

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Said this earlier in the week, the idea Ole has done a successful rebuild is nonsense. Who knows who the next manager will be, how they will play, which players will be part of that. Some of Ole’s signings will be deadwood, someone like DVB might get a new lease of life.

Ole can’t be blamed or credited with what happens after he leaves we can only assess him on state of team now and it’s an absolute shambles, worst in Premier League era.
This is true. The prevailing narrative during the LVG era was that he was setting up the foundations for the next manager's success. Didn't quite pan out that way.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That’s nonsense because the two best coaches in the league had to change most if not all of their players before they won anything didn’t they?

fed up of seeing things like a decent coach turns water into wine. They don’t.
It's not water into wine. It's Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba, Bruno, Shaw, Maguire, Varane. Or solid hard working midfielders like Fred who are starters for Brazil. Good goalkeepers.

If you think that this is our level, then you're a fool quite simply. Our players are at a level where we can be challenging for the title. Even all the talk about the midfield - look at liverpools midfield players today. The midfield personnel have nothing to do with why we were outclassed today.

If people seriously don't think that a proper coach doesn't transform us, I don't know what the feck they've been watching. Go back a year and everyone was laughing at United and Chelsea for being fools and persisting with Lampard and Ole despite them AT BEST being average level managers who keep things ticking. Chelsea decided to get serious and sack Lampard before it was too late, which led to them winning the Champions League and being top now. It's time for United to get serious and stop this pity party experiment.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not water into wine. It's Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba, Bruno, Shaw, Maguire, Varane. Or solid hard working midfielders like Fred who are starters for Brazil. Good goalkeepers.

If you think that this is our level, then you're a fool quite simply. Our players are at a level where we can be challenging for the title. Even all the talk about the midfield - look at liverpools midfield players today. The midfield personnel have nothing to do with why we were outclassed today.

If people seriously don't think that a proper coach doesn't transform us, I don't know what the feck they've been watching. Go back a year and everyone was laughing at United and Chelsea for being fools and persisting with Lampard and Ole despite them AT BEST being average level managers who keep things ticking. Chelsea decided to get serious and sack Lampard before it was too late, which led to them winning the Champions League and being top now. It's time for United to get serious and stop this pity party experiment.
I was agreeing with your first paragraph, we do have great players, we also have weak ones. then came the insults. What a surprise.

my reply to you was about your post saying a good coach gets the best out of his players. If that was the case pep and klopp wouldn’t have had to buy new first elevens. Now Tuchel has won the champions league coming in mid season fans seem to think you just change the manager and go and win a trophy. Can’t be arsed to argue it with you.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I was agreeing with your first paragraph, we do have great players, we also have weak ones. then came the insults. What a surprise.

my reply to you was about your post saying a good coach gets the best out of his players. If that was the case pep and klopp wouldn’t have had to buy new first elevens. Now Tuchel has won the champions league coming in mid season fans seem to think you just change the manager and go and win a trophy. Can’t be arsed to argue it with you.
Of course a coach needs good players. But we have great players so of course we'd see an improvement.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Of course a coach needs good players. But we have great players so of course we'd see an improvement.
Yes I agree with that. Sorry probably still sour after the match earlier and seen lots of posts in the past making out that coaches go to clubs and shit miracles.