Players you admired in rival teams

MiracleInMadrid

If I have to choose one player then without doubt Torres at Liverpool. I detest Liverpool, but I loved watching Torres in his prime. My favourite kind of striker.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The myth Torres always terrorised us is based purely on about 2 games where Vidic had a nightmare. He was usually contained him really well.
See when I think of Torres against us, it's not the Vidic games that come to mind. One is a goal against us at Anfield where he rinsed Rio and scored at the Kop end. The other was a brilliant header he scored at the Stretford End. Might be blown out of proportion, but he's definitely a player I admired when he was at Liverpool.

Redcy

Admired maybe not, but always wanted to see what they had done and enjoyed watching:

Fowler - Always seemed to get a mix of spectacular goals and "strikers" goals
Kewell - I like a quick footed, exciting winger and for a period at Leeds he was magic to watch
Hasselbaink - Something about the strength and power of him I liked
Kinkladze - Had the quickness of feet I always imagined I had

Dozer

Between 2005-2008 I really coveted Michael Essien.

Immediately after Keane's departure, even though we had good technicians like Scholes, and Carrick 6 months later, it still felt like we were lacking a quality physical midfielder who could grab games by the scruff of the neck.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

I didn't admire him but it's more I accepted he was a really good player who seemed to be a pretty decent guy. IIRC he was good friends with Larsson so that's good enough for me.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Speaking of Hasselbaink, until recently I didn't realise that he scored so many goals against Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool during his time with Leeds and Chelsea (and Middlesbrough), including some highlight reel stunners against all of them.

Plus during his one season at Atletico Madrid when they were relegated in 1999/2000, he scored against all of the heavyweights, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Deportivo and Valencia.

Nice going there.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Pretty much that whole arsenal team of 03/04

Pughnichi

More recently TAA.

An academy product that’s going to be world class for a very long time. Will be interesting to see his career develop

Envious as well of Ballack (free transfer) and Essien when he was a machine at Chelsea

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Jamie Vardy. Little scrote but can't not admire what he's managed to do with his career. I think his first season in the PL with Leicester he was 27 in 2014-15 and he'd only been playing at a level higher than League 2 since the age of 24/25. Since 2015-16 season he's managed 94 goals in 158 games and his record against the big sides is quality.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think Gerrard was a dickhead/is a dickhead but he was some player.
Imagine him and Keane in the same side. Wow.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
More recently TAA.

An academy product that’s going to be world class for a very long time. Will be interesting to see his career develop

Envious as well of Ballack (free transfer) and Essien when he was a machine at Chelsea
Essien definitely. I used to moan about his 'tackling' but was secretly green with envy seeing him power Chelsea's engine room while we started to struggle to identify good midfielders.

Ashley Cole was a pantomime villain, easy to dislike in a lot of ways but his football was never one of them.

Brightonian

Drogba.

So underrated outside of Chelsea fans. For me there are a lot of parallels with Rooney's time at United. Drogba didn't rack up massive goal counts every season, but he was an absolutely integral part of Chelsea's most successful period, and indeed one of the all-time great Premier League sides. None of what has happened at Chelsea under Abramovic's ownership would have been possible without Drogba.

Then look at the season's when he did rack up lots of goals. 09/10, in particular, which is the same season United fans consider Rooney's best as a goalscorer for getting 34 in 44 appearances, Drogba outdid that with 37 in 44. At his best, he was completely unstoppable, and could score any kind of goal. Also a brilliant hold-up and link-up player with that very rare triple threat of physical strength, raw pace and delicate skill.

CornerFlag

Supports
Liverpool
C. Ronaldo
Ferdinand
Lampard
Baines
Southall
Sheringham
Fabregas
Tony Adams
Van der Sar
Kompany
Henry

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Lampard. Absolutely not Gerrard, and not really Terry either.

Drogba you always knew was a hell of a player, even if he was a complete shithouse as well.

David Silva and Aguero are both sublime and its massively disappointing that they remained loyal to City all these years. Kompany too.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Torres, who then ironically became the only Chelsea player I grew to dislike while playing for us.

Lay

Lampard
Gerrard when I was younger but then began disliking him
Drogba

iHicksy

For me to admire a player i'd have to not hate the way they played some aspects of the game. So for me, that would exclude the likes of Suarez, Robben, Drogba etc. On that basis i'd go for

• Bergkamp
  • Henry
  • David Ginola
  • Klinsman
  • Bale
  • Zola
  • Alonso
  • Hazard
  • Ashley Cole
  • Aguero
  • De Bryune
  • Torres
  • Yaya
  • Shearer

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Jamie Vardy. Little scrote but can't not admire what he's managed to do with his career. I think his first season in the PL with Leicester he was 27 in 2014-15 and he'd only been playing at a level higher than League 2 since the age of 24/25. Since 2015-16 season he's managed 94 goals in 158 games and his record against the big sides is quality.
I have to admit that when opposition fans dish out stick (or sometimes even pretty unsavoury abuse) to Vardy, which only gees him up and invariably leads to him scoring and then taunting those fans with his goal celebration, I love it and think 'good on you pal'.

4 years in a row a sizeable number of West Brom fans dished to abuse to Vardy at the Hawthorns, and 4 years in a row he scored important goals to help Leicester win there and took great pleasure in taunting and winding up those fans. Quality.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Lampard. Absolutely not Gerrard, and not really Terry either.

Drogba you always knew was a hell of a player, even if he was a complete shithouse as well.

David Silva and Aguero are both sublime and its massively disappointing that they remained loyal to City all these years. Kompany too.
I remember being in the first row of the North Stand when we were playing Chelsea, we were in the ground well earlier than kick off and the chelsea team were warming up, Drogba had this vest top on and he was doing sprints. It was a sunny day and hot out, he was like a feckin thorough bred horse coming at me and turning on the line - I was probaly what 6 or 8 ft away from him. Absolute beast of a human. Scary his actual size.
He'd have done well at United

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'll go to hell for this - John Terry.

Fantastic defender and I enjoy his style of play. While I can say Rio>Vidic, watching Vidic was a hell of a lot more fun to me. I like the high action/getting stuck in CBs.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Too many to list but I'll go for Bergkamp.

As for managers...I'd choose Keegan, and not only for his attacking philosophy. In a world where managers - even painfully average ones - are so big-headed that they address themselves in the Third-Person, Keegan had humility & could admit his flaws; a rare thing indeed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Always been a big fan of Michael Essien. Scored some cracking goals and was an absolute engine.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Kevin-Prince Boateng was an entertaining player to watch.
Got a interesting back catalogue of teams he's represented over the years too,especially considering I dont think he ever truly fulfilled his potential.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Strictly going by one of our two biggest rivals( united in this case
Playing abilities:
Scholes
Giggs
Keane
Heart:
Neville to a degree only because he really is a manc through and through and is true to his club

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I always respected Diego Costa he seemed one of those players I would have loved in the team you support rather than facing him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
There are a lot but I'll cast my vote for Aguero.
I think he has a case for best player in the PL history but doesn't get as much recognition as others. He's also a guy that's been exceptional at his job for his entire career, yet has remained humble and dedicated. I have to respect that.

Vault Dweller

Too many to list but I'll go for Bergkamp.

As for managers...I'd choose Keegan, and not only for his attacking philosophy. In a world where managers - even painfully average ones - are so big-headed that they address themselves in the Third-Person, Keegan had humility & could admit his flaws; a rare thing indeed.
Love it @SteveJ, love it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Bergkamp, Vieira, & Henry - Arsenal
Shearer - Blackburn & Newcastle
Albert & Ginola - Newcastle
Zola & Hazard - Chelsea
Xabi Alonso - Liverpool
Klinsmann, Bale & Berbatov - Spurs
De Bruyne, Aguero & Kinkladze - City
Le Tissier - Soton

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Half of Blackburn squad in 95. Sutton, Sherwood, Hendry, Shearer, Kenna, Le Saux, Flowers...

Okocha and Bergkamp would love them in United, same with Gattuso.