Players you believe get a raw deal on the caf

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought United fans were really harsh on Nani and we were all probably too impatient with Fletcher.

Nobody from the current lot.

simplyared

1- Rose is and always was bang average, no great achievement keeping him out the team.
2- Valencia used to get so much more stick despite being one of the best RBs in the league for a couple of seasons. Young was never at that level. He was a failed winger and then a pretty poor fullback. Playing for England really isn’t an indication of anything. Scholes and Carrick barely featured despite being world class.
So you're still saying he was shite then?

Stacks

I thought United fans were really harsh on Nani and we were all probably too impatient with Fletcher.

Nobody from the current lot.
I agree. We have one of the most expensively assembled and highest paid squads in world football and they are getting out performed by players on meagre wages. If I could get paid loads to be worse than my competition I would be chillin. The criticism is fair for what has been delivered over the past 7 seasons where our average league finish is 5th depsite having the biggest wage bill and club rep.

There are a sizeable group whom I think don’t appreciate Martial and Rashford for the world class ability and talent that they have at their age and potential they have to become truly top level players.

That’s fine. But then those same people will then hype players in that age group at other clubs....few have numbers to match, all go through dry patches... but when you’re judgment is based on YouTube highlights you don’t know about the 15 quiet games a season that (insert player) at other club had

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think many were disappointed that Nani never took the final step, as it were: at his best, he was utterly brilliant, a match winner, a flair player of the sort every manager dreams of having around. But he suffered from inconsistency on the whole - and he ended up being looked upon as Ronaldo's successor at that. He never lived up to that - which wasn't his fault, but there you go, it influenced how fans perceived him.

As for Fletcher - he was much better, in most respects, than many gave him credit for. But when he started to come truly good for us, he had already gained a reputation as an "overrated" academy product - and some just refused to give him a break. And then, when he had the chance to finally cement his place and convince the doubters, his progress was cruelly halted by factors he had no control over.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This might be controversial but I feel since we started getting consistently successful under Fergie; fans were less patient with players who came through the club ranks compared to bought players.
Agreed. Despite the opposite often being claimed on here, there's not a lot of patience at all for United youth players. Bought players have to do a lot to get fans to turn on them, I get the excitement to an extent, with players like McTominay he was facing an uphill battle to get the fans on his side after his first game.

wolvored

Every player who has a shit game or games are slated. Its part and parcel of the game. The fact they are slagged off on here mens nothing and keeps the forum ticking. I bet if Bruno had 3-4 bad games on the trot a lot of people and especially on here would be slagging him off.

simplyared

Did you rate him?
You say you thought Danny Rose was bang average. So there's a chance we're not on the same page regarding evaluating players. Danny Rose was the type of player I like to watch. The type who'd go through a brick wall to make a decisive tackle, very strong going forward as well. Played with his heart on his sleave. If I'm honest thought he was a better LB than Young. However Young adapted to the role of LB very well, not as tenacious as Rose or Evra, for that matter but very good in most departments. He was certainly a weapon for us going forward when cutting in to the right and bending his shot into the far left of the goal. Pity was he became easily sussed by GK's and was not as effective with that later on. Agree towards the end of his tenure with us his crossing wasn't the best but on the whole a decent player and a good servant for the club.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You say you thought Danny Rose was bang average. So there's a chance we're not on the same page regarding evaluating players. Danny Rose was the type of player I like to watch. The type who'd go through a brick wall to make a decisive tackle, very strong going forward as well. Played with his heart on his sleave. If I'm honest thought he was a better LB than Young. However Young adapted to the role of LB very well, not as tenacious as Rose or Evra, for that matter but very good in most departments. He was certainly a weapon for us going forward when cutting in to the right and bending his shot into the far left of the goal. Pity was he became easily sussed by GK's and was not as effective with that later on. Agree towards the end of his tenure with us his crossing wasn't the best but on the whole a decent player and a good servant for the club.
Yeh on Rose I have always thought he was overrated, string physically with limited technical abilities. I think Shaw is a better player by some distance for example.

To be fair on my assessment of Young I’m mainly referring to his final two-three seasons as that’s when he really started to get some stick. Before that he was okay but I don’t think he was ever Man Utd quality even from the moment we signed him. For a spell I think he did okay at fullback and I’d probably say that was his best position for us but in those final 2-3 years I just can’t stress how bad he was. He looked like someone who had won a contest at times, he would hoof the ball down the line to no one and turn over the ball more often than not. He was always okay as a defender though but that’s not why he was slated. Overall my point is when a player is that poor, they really can’t be surprised when fans of Manchester Utd slate them. While it’s not their fault per se, it comes with the territory and he had no right playing as long as he did.

Strelok

I agree. We have one of the most expensively assembled and highest paid squads in world football and they are getting out performed by players on meagre wages. If I could get paid loads to be worse than my competition I would be chillin. The criticism is fair for what has been delivered over the past 7 seasons where our average league finish is 5th depsite having the biggest wage bill and club rep.
Tbf it's not totally on the players.

lsd

The Oracle
:lol: Yes, that's the reason for the critcism. FFS

It is. James and Lingard are decent players and are useful to have in the squad. Both are capable of winning a game on their own by doing something special.

Both can never be faulted for lack of effort yet they are despised by do many on here because they don't do special things every game.

Neither are supposed to be star players in the mould of Bruno etc so why hate on them every time they play and for every little error they make?

They don't start every game in lingard's case I doubt we will see him again anyway but James still has a lot to offer and it would be nice if people would get of his back.

RUCK4444

Maguire, by far the worst. I'm not his biggest fan but he's called shite at least 5 times per minute on the Caf I would estimate. His individual errors are relatively small.

Pogba, but even I think he's been poor recently. But back when he was our best goalscorer and assist maker he was getting pelted. I honestly think people have willed this one into failure with the power of their minds.

James, absolutely disgraceful posts about him. Relatively inexperienced player thrown in as our ONLY right winger when he was bought, did OK but predictably wilted under the sheer daily siege of pressure and negativity.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is. James and Lingard are decent players and are useful to have in the squad. Both are capable of winning a game on their own by doing something special.
Yeah so are most PL level players.

We don't need decent. Crystal Palace news decent.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agreed. Despite the opposite often being claimed on here, there's not a lot of patience at all for United youth players. Bought players have to do a lot to get fans to turn on them, I get the excitement to an extent, with players like McTominay he was facing an uphill battle to get the fans on his side after his first game.
Yeah, do you remember people saying Fletcher was Fergies love child and that’s the only reason he was in the team, or that he was only good enough for lower league football. Madness

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ronaldo when he first joined, Nani and Pogba have gotten ridiculously over the top criticism in relation to their ability and performance

Valencia Shin Crosses

I would have said Pogba and Fred a while back, but Fred is finally being appreciated and Pogba has gotten markedly worse recently.

Martial definitely does, just because of body language experts in spite of years of evidence he was our most productive attacker when playing. His tough start to this year has only fueled those people.

Lingard doesn't, he's been quite terrible after his purple patch went a couple years ago.

GueRed

Under Fergie:

Fletcher
Smith

Post Fergie:

Rooney
Smalling
Young
Valencia
Maguire

Consistent performers. And even when they didnt have great games ALWAYS put in a good shift and earnt their place in the team..

They always got it in the neck whenever the team lost. Whilst others got away with fecking murder :lol:

GueRed

I think many were disappointed that Nani never took the final step, as it were: at his best, he was utterly brilliant, a match winner, a flair player of the sort every manager dreams of having around. But he suffered from inconsistency on the whole - and he ended up being looked upon as Ronaldo's successor at that. He never lived up to that - which wasn't his fault, but there you go, it influenced how fans perceived him.

As for Fletcher - he was much better, in most respects, than many gave him credit for. But when he started to come truly good for us, he had already gained a reputation as an "overrated" academy product - and some just refused to give him a break. And then, when he had the chance to finally cement his place and convince the doubters, his progress was cruelly halted by factors he had no control over.
yeah over his 7 years he was overall very inconsistent...reminds me of Martial

He was world class however the calendar year of 2010. He was amazing.
He played a big part in our title success of the 2010/11 season IMO

Lastwolf

Jonny Evans always got brutalised for "looking nervous" people forget he was a decent chunk of our best ever defense and now he's not at United and doing well, it swung back around to "he'd be good as a backup".

Any player ravaged by injury is usually hammered, it's safe to say neither Jones or Shaw will ever live up to the their original potential, Shaw because he gets injured as he's getting into from and Jones because he's legit made of a glass, but some people seem to hate them with a fiery passion, when it's just sad all round.

Under Fergie:

Fletcher
Smith

Post Fergie:

Rooney
Smalling
Young
Valencia
Maguire

Consistent performers. And even when they didnt have great games ALWAYS put in a good shift and earnt their place in the team..

They always got it in the neck whenever the team lost. Whilst others got away with fecking murder :lol:
aside from Valencia, they are all British players...

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Since we reduced first XI wages by dropping Pogba we've not been outplayed once, and outplayed opponents on couple occasions too. You could make a point about Arsenal outplaying us, although I don't think they are on meagre wages.

Edit:
Actually Pogba played in Arsenal game so yeah, looks even worse for him.

Tribec

If a player doesn't perform like Ronaldo did on his debut, they get questioned in here. If they do well, they get about 6 months grace, if they are OK that grace moves down to about 6 weeks. From that point on stick comes to everyone from everyone for a poor game or if they have a flaw in the game that they don't improve over time.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I’m bored of the Maguire hate, it’s stupid as it’s all based around his price tag. We overpaid, who gives a feck? It’s not your money, the manager got his number one target - he is a good captain, our best defender and he’s never injured.

Abizzz

I’m bored of the Maguire hate, it’s stupid as it’s all based around his price tag. We overpaid, who gives a feck? It’s not your money, the manager got his number one target - he is a good captain, our best defender and he’s never injured.
The problem with that is that we really could have used a defender worth the price paid for him. Still need one now. (You're right though in the sense that now he's here there's no point in not supporting him, and whatever agreement the clubs came to is hardly his fault either).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Agreed. Maguire’s a very good player and will give us long and trouble free service. That When to cut our losses with Maguire thread is absolute tosh!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The problem with that is that we really could have used a defender worth the price paid for him. Still need one now.
He was the player not only Ole wanted but also Jose. £80m is what Leicester wanted, we paid it and Maguire has not let us down. He really isn’t as bad as people are making out and will give us long and loyal service.

Pogba cost £90m, is on massive wages and contributes very little. It’s all about perspective.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was the player not only Ole wanted but also Jose. £80m is what Leicester wanted, we paid it and Maguire has not let us down. He really isn’t as bad as people are making out and will give us long and loyal service.

Pogba cost £90m, is on massive wages and contributes very little. It’s all about perspective.
I don't think it's about perspective at all. I consider both Pogba and Daniel James as not good enough for United at this point, don't really care about price tag. I also thought it was a good move buying Pogba, it just didn't work out because he doesn't have that X factor to go up a level. It happens, we'll see if it's because of United or all down to him in the future next years.

Same applies for Maguire, I believe he's a fine Centre Back, whatever we paid for him.

Stacks

The problem with that is that we really could have used a defender worth the price paid for him. Still need one now. (You're right though in the sense that now he's here there's no point in not supporting him, and whatever agreement the clubs came to is hardly his fault either).
True but then people talking about we need another £80 million world class CB to partner alongside him otherwise we have to play less creative midfielders to provide protection. I don't understand the point in spending 80 million on a 40million defender and having to play 2 players to protect our defence (we don't even have maurauding FBs) or we need another hyper expensive world class CB to partner him. We have other areas of our team that are being neglected or need sorting and it won't happen with these transfers. Ole wants to play out from the back and buys AWB for £50million to play in his defence. Its a bit weird.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maguire hate? Erm, Maguire is absolutely adored on here.

Stacks

Same here.
Depends what your ambitions are. He is fine for teams who want to qualify for top 4. All our defenders are to an extent. But could he have replaced VVD and helped Liverpool to Champions League and Title glory?

Could he have replaced Sol Campbell in Arsenal Invicibles season, partner with Kolo and had the same effect of winning a double?

Could he have partnered Gallas and broken premier league records?

I am not so sure. Building defences that can win trophies is more than keeping a few clean sheets. There are some forwards who can score here and there but you won't win anything major with them. Obviously if we had the best midfield and forward line in the world then we possibly could.