Players you believe get a raw deal on the caf

lysglimt

Scout
Fletcher was one of the worst. That was really bad at one stage

Snuffkin

See Jones and Rojo for similar issue. Ole has been the only manager since SAF committed to moving these players on, however.
Ole gave these muppets lucrative contracts. Ole is too loyal. That's his only fault.

RashysTekkers

Rashford being compared to Darren Bent still brought out a chuckle from me from time to time. And the absolute garbage people spew about McTominay during his debut season was sickening.

Wittmann45

Fletcher was one of the worst. That was really bad at one stage
Yeah, Fletch and Richardson were really disliked on here for some time and Richardson never really lived that down. And Park too was also a very divisive player.

Both Park and Fletch started to be more loved on the Caf around the same time, roughly 2008. Before that, whenever either player was starting, the matchday threads would be alive with criticisms of both.

I kind of recall that Saha got a lot of hate on here too, even before his injury troubles.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Maguire. It was fun to read the Caf just before PSG game when Harry was unavailable for the match. Suddenly, our “slab head” became the most valuable player.

Strelok

I saw some posters calling Bruno lazy and a horrible passer.

Tbh what could you expect here? It's the caf.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
DDG, Maguire, Lindelof, McT, Mata, Rashford, James from the top of my head

stevoc

Ole gave these muppets lucrative contracts. Ole is too loyal. That's his only fault.
He didn't actually Rojo signed his last contract in March 2018 before Solskjaer was at the club. Phil Jones deal was renewed in February 2019 about 6 weeks after Solskjaer was appointed caretaker manager so i doubt he had much input into that decision.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah, Fletch and Richardson were really disliked on here for some time and Richardson never really lived that down. And Park too was also a very divisive player.

Both Park and Fletch started to be more loved on the Caf around the same time, roughly 2008. Before that, whenever either player was starting, the matchday threads would be alive with criticisms of both.

I kind of recall that Saha got a lot of hate on here too, even before his injury troubles.
Park was genuinely loved by a lot of people - and rightly so. But that season when Ferguson played Fletcher on the right side of midfield, he was generally considered crap in here. And Fletcher probably didn't really win people over until the 2008/2009 season, and the season after he was probably our best central midfielder. But then his career was practically over at the age of 27

lysglimt

Scout
He didn't actually Rojo signed his last contract in March 2018 before Solskjaer was at the club. Phil Jones deal was renewed in February 2019 about 6 weeks after Solskjaer was appointed caretaker manager so i doubt he had much input into that decision.
Yeah - I doubt any caretaker manager has the power (or will) to stop a player from getting a new contract that probably has been negotiated for months. I would assume most managers want to get to know their players and start with a clean slate - but if he had been at the club 5-6 months earlier, I doubt he would have given Jones a new contract.

lysglimt

Scout
Silvestre was another one who took a lot of stick. But i think he redeemed himself quite a bit when he headbutted Ljungberg :)

What I liked about Silvestre was that he was so incredibly fit - in his first 7 seasons at United, he missed less than 30 matches. And that includes 5-6 due to suspensions and I think he signed after the 5th round of the 99/00 season, so in reality he missed less than 20 matches through injury over 7 years. So he wasn't the greatest player, but he was always available.

stevoc

James
Lingard

They get the most critism by far mostly for not being Ronaldo or Messi
Lingard probably mostly gets criticized for not even being Brady or Lallana.

EngimaMK

Too many FIFA players and YouTube wankers. Unless they watched something tantamount to a highlight reel or FIFA easy mode destruction, they aren't happy. Nobody has patience, realistic expectations or sense of perspective anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This might be controversial but I feel since we started getting consistently successful under Fergie; fans were less patient with players who came through the club ranks compared to bought players.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Most players tbh - some awful fans here, I mean look at the ‘cut our losses on Maguire’ thread.

However some really good posters who aren’t as reactionary and have good perspective.

A lot of fans were spoiled for many years, which is a huge contributing factor. What I don’t understand is even the very good players get abused.

Redfrog

Matic: "Matic takes the piss out of us"
"didn't care whether we won or lost"
"There's not a single decent thing I can say about him, he's complete and utter garbage"

Maguire (after last night's game)
"He's been really poor for a long time"
"even his heading technique is comical"
"May as well start calling him calamity Maguire"

Rashford (written 22nd Nov)
"he is just not good enough"
"we will be waiting for him to develop till the cows come home"
"

Ridiculous comments!
this kid really lacks any natural footballing ability" this is nonsense, even prime Cristiano would be critisised then. Every one in world football is praising the boy for his abilities. With Bruno he is our best player, but whatever. Thé same people will blame the club if he was sold. Spoiled child I suppose.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You really can’t say Young, he was rightly called out as shite. Possibly one of the worst players I’ve ever seen don the shirt and no amount of ‘attitude’ can make up for that. Add to the fact he played every game despite playing poorly and he got the criticism those performances were always due.

ThinkTank@Cafe

John O’Shea. The only Manchester United player who played in all positions. A lot of good memories including a GK performance against Spurs, winner against Everton, and of course the goal at Anfield. He was immense in 2006-2007 season (my favorite season, long awaited resurrection after Chelsea 3-year domination).

I love the guy and he is United legend for me who epitomizes a United Squad player. Squad players like Ole, Park, O’Shea, in my view, were as important as our star players for the club throughout the years.

He got a lot if stick from the Caf, especially during gloomy 2003-2006.

Hailee

Out of all players, I think Lukaku receives the rawest deal here.

Di Maria is next.

No one is more unfairly abused than Jose Mourinho of course.

However some really good posters who aren’t as reactionary and have good perspective.
I'm not sure why right wing politics has to do with any of this.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Park used to get a lot of hate for someone that was a vital cog in the side. It took awhile for people to realise his importance. Same with fletcher.

Glideman

For me:
Maguire - honestly it’s because of his price tag which isn’t his fault
Rashford - no idea why people go at him despite how productive he is
AWB - yes he’s not the greatest attacking wise but people calling him deadwood is too far

For me:
AWB - yes he’s not the greatest attacking wise but people calling him deadwood is too far
all English as well...

ThinkTank@Cafe

For me:
Too far is an understatement. He had a dip in form towards the end of the last season, but he was at elite level for 2/3 of 19/20.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I give you the Cafe:

Pogba - "He was a record signing, he should be the best in the World, no excuses, sell him for whatever we can get, I hate him!"

Maguire - "Price tag wasn't his fault, he had a difficult Summer, give him time, he's reliable"

Pogba has flashes of brilliance other players can only dream of. The amount of shit he gets from the fans & media, it's a wonder he can get himself out of bed in the morning to go to work at all. It's no wonder he wants out, the way he's been treated is a disgrace.

Maguire is shite, he can't defend, he can't head the ball, he drops his defensive partner in the shit all the time, he goes missing, he's not even really a defender, I would say he would be better as a holding midfielder, in front of the defence, because he can bring the ball forward quite well. He was way over priced to start with, the summer was 3 months ago now and it was barely mentioned in the press apart from on the few days around when it happened. It's almost embarrassing that he is captain of United (although not as embarrassing as when Young was).

diarm

Smalling is the opposite of whatever this thread is about. The longer he went without playing for us, the more inclined people on the Caf were to tell a tall tale about how good he was.

It was similar to the way in which Cafites would convince themselves that Rooney's best position was the one he wasn't playing at the moment. He was potentially a great midfielder until he got picked in midfield when he was only ever supposed to be a centre forward. Then that wouldn't work out so he should be played on the wing, or second stricker, or defensive mid, or midfielder again.

Smalling was not a reliable centre back and never should've been first choice for a club like United.

PoTMS

Pogba has had every excuse under the sun for his piss poor inconsistency. He most definitely does not get a raw deal.

Anyway my answers would be Shaw, McTominay, Lindelof and Rashford.

GazTheLegend

All of them. This place is a toxic, abusive cesspit toward pretty much every single player up to and including Bruno Fernandes (who someone was suggesting was a 7/10 player just the other week) and I pray none of our footballers ever, ever dip their toe into the shitfest that is redcafe because only woe shall they find.

ThinkTank@Cafe

—————————Barthez—————————-
O’Shea—Maguire—Silverstre———Shaw
————Butt——————Fletcher—————
Valencia————Mata———-Young——-——
———————Berbatov———————————-

Stacks

We have all have a right to have opinions on players but aren’t there always players who get slagged off no matter what?

Sometimes it becomes a pattern of behaviour. Some examples of players unjustly treated according to my experiences:

Smalling
Rashford
Maguire
Matic

Views on this!
Smalling - He plays well for a period then reminds people why he hasn't been able to hold down a place under many managers and every summer we try to buy a new CB. Then our new CB's are shaky and we lament for Smalling again. He is both underrated and overrated at the same time and is closer to Wes Brown level than anything.

Rashford - again its performance based and the inconsistency of a youthful player. I defend Rashford to the hilt but understand other's frustrations because he has played 4.5 seasons at top level + 40 international caps, played in and won cup finals etc but you still feel the unrefinement of youth through out his his game. At the end of this season will be a better assessment as then it would be 5 full seasons to assess where he is at and just how much he has developed.

Maguire: Mostly his price tag versus his ability. Essentially he is a good solid CB where as United are crying out for a great dominant intimidating scary CB. We made that level of investment which consumed a lot of our budget which may have been used in other areas and we are often being forced to play 2 destroyer type midfielders which effects our passing ability....... Basically the value for money is off and that will be used against him.

Matic - No raw deal at all. Not one good season at United despite 40 million investment. United have also tried to buy Fred and promote Mctominay as Matic cannot hold down a first team place for a season. When he plays well, we play well but its pointless (7-10 games per season). Imagine having an important player/role that you cannot rely on for the duration of the season? This was Jose's "trusted soldier" nonsense and we should of had the scouting department to find younger reliable options.

James
Lingard

They get the most critism by far mostly for not being Ronaldo or Messi
They are not up to it which is fair as this is mostly player performance forum.

Stacks

Maguire has had one bad game this season against Spurs and takes dumb amounts of flak, despite being our best CB. Aside from him, probably James, Rashford and Mata. The French lads, especially Pogba, get defended too much sometimes. Their fanboys can’t take constructive criticism.
We have to play 2 holding midfielders as our defence cannot be trusted. This makes us a rigid and uncreative team.

simplyared

You really can’t say Young, he was rightly called out as shite. Possibly one of the worst players I’ve ever seen don the shirt and no amount of ‘attitude’ can make up for that. Add to the fact he played every game despite playing poorly and he got the criticism those performances were always due.
Your comments my friend ar way over the top and is exactly what this thread is all about. How can you say a player is shite when he's considered good enough to play for his country. After 4 yrs away from international duty he made the England squad for the 2018 World Cup and had a key role playing LB taking us all the way to the semis. Not only that he was preferred to Danny Rose who imv was a top LB at the time. Him being chosen by Southgate for England was based on his club performances so how can you say he was shite. Hard words for a player who gave everything every time he put on the utd shirt!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Pretty much every player that plays for United.
Yeah, at least in the sense that people constantly - and often wildly - exaggerate how useless they are.

It wasn't long ago that some very vocal people on here claimed that Rashford was "Championship quality" after an underwhelming performance or two.

Says it all, really. If that is your genuine judgment - if that's how you actually value said player - you're an idiot, there's no other word for it. And nobody should pay attention to anything you have to say about other players either.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Your comments my friend ar way over the top and is exactly what this thread is all about. How can you say a player is shite when he's considered good enough to play for his country. After 4 yrs away from international duty he made the England squad for the 2018 World Cup and had a key role playing LB taking us all the way to the semis. Not only that he was preferred to Danny Rose who imv was a top LB at the time. Him being chosen by Southgate for England was based on his club performances so how can you say he was shite. Hard words for a player who gave everything every time he put on the utd shirt!
1- Rose is and always was bang average, no great achievement keeping him out the team.
2- Valencia used to get so much more stick despite being one of the best RBs in the league for a couple of seasons. Young was never at that level. He was a failed winger and then a pretty poor fullback. Playing for England really isn’t an indication of anything. Scholes and Carrick barely featured despite being world class.

romufc

I give you the Cafe:

Pogba - "He was a record signing, he should be the best in the World, no excuses, sell him for whatever we can get, I hate him!"

Maguire - "Price tag wasn't his fault, he had a difficult Summer, give him time, he's reliable"

Pogba has flashes of brilliance other players can only dream of. The amount of shit he gets from the fans & media, it's a wonder he can get himself out of bed in the morning to go to work at all. It's no wonder he wants out, the way he's been treated is a disgrace.

Maguire is shite, he can't defend, he can't head the ball, he drops his defensive partner in the shit all the time, he goes missing, he's not even really a defender, I would say he would be better as a holding midfielder, in front of the defence, because he can bring the ball forward quite well. He was way over priced to start with, the summer was 3 months ago now and it was barely mentioned in the press apart from on the few days around when it happened. It's almost embarrassing that he is captain of United (although not as embarrassing as when Young was).
The difference is quite clear tbh.

Pogba was worth the money, he came with big expectations, the talent he has means he should produce alot more than he does.

Flashes of brilliance is not good enough though is it? For a CM who is meant to be the one to bring us back to the glory days, all he does is talk about other clubs or get others to talk about other clubs on his behalf.

Maguire gets the same shite by fans, every goal we concede is his fault whereas if you actually look at the goals we have conceded since lockdown, Pogba has been at fault for at least 4 goals by losing the ball or giving silly penalties away.

The difference in the price tag is, everyone knew Maguire isn't worth the £80m but Pogba was which is why the expectation on Pogba is alot higher.

So two wrongs make a right? Pogba does something and is unfairly criticised in the media, I agree that is wrong, the media should not target one person but just because Maguire doesnt get the same coverage, are you saying he should?