Players you had forgotten existed

Bole Top

Hulk. one of the most overrated and most forgettable "star" players ever. pointless clubs, pointless career.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I bet Chris Eagles is still playing for some mid level Championship club
He WISHES he was playing for some mid-level championship club!

Without a club apparently - left Ross County "by mutual consent" in April last year.

Irrational.

Remember the players Chelsea were signing when they were trying to make themselves relevant?

Geremi
Tiago
Smertin
Mutu
Kezman
Jiri Jarosik
Maniche
Asier Del Horno

All faded into the history books of irrelevance, all forgotten.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Remember the players Chelsea were signing when they were trying to make themselves relevant?

Geremi
Tiago
Smertin
Mutu
Kezman
Jiri Jarosik
Maniche
Asier Del Horno

You remember them!

Also, tough to lump Geremi in with that lot. He won La Liga, two Prem titles and a gold in the Olympics.

Ramos

Geremi
Tiago
Smertin
Mutu
Kezman
Jiri Jarosik
Maniche
Asier Del Horno

Good shouts (especially Del Horno) but kind of harsh on Tiago. Had a resurgence late in his career and was a member of that Atletico side winning almost everything (Europa League, Copa del Rey, La Liga, 2 times runner-up in the CL).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Woah, I had to google that one. No recollection whatsoever.
He also did well at PSV where Chelsea parked him for a couple of years before they got a work permit. Can't remember if he played for Brazil or not much.

Far more forgettable CB for Chelsea around that time was Tal Ben Haim. Did well at Bolton but way out of his depth at Chelsea. Boulharouz was also awful for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bought him on my FM19 save, he's damn good still.

Aaron Hunt is another one who just went off the radar.
There was fuss about Hunt years ago as he qualified for England (similar to Holtby). Perception was England had lost out on two major players but it didn't really pan out like that as they got the odd cap for Germany but not much else.

Aaron Hunt now plays for SV Hamburg....alongside Lewis Holtby. :lol:

Actually just remembered one which ties it all in......Michael Mancienne. Was at Chelsea for years, constantly loaned out of course. Hyped up and made an England squad but I never really saw the fuss. He also played for Hamburg a few years back but no idea who he's playing for in England now unless I wiki it.

Plg91

Breel Embolo.
At one time he was even more highly rated than Dembele. How is he now?

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
There was fuss about Hunt years ago as he qualified for England (similar to Holtby). Perception was England had lost out on two major players but it didn't really pan out like that as they got the odd cap for Germany but not much else.

Aaron Hunt now plays for SV Hamburg....alongside Lewis Holtby. :lol:

Actually just remembered one which ties it all in......Michael Mancienne. Was at Chelsea for years, constantly loaned out of course. Hyped up and made an England squad but I never really saw the fuss. He also played for Hamburg a few years back but no idea who he's playing for in England now unless I wiki it.
Actually Mancienne is with New England Revolution now. He is...ok?

Water Melon

Anders Lindegaard. To think that he initially threatened De Gea's position and was our main keeper for a season. He then stayed with us for five years and basically never played. Moved on to West Brom, Preston North End and finally Burnley where he has been since 2017 and has yet to have a league appearance. In fact, looking at his career, he has barely played any football. His year at Aalesund is the only time he has been a regular starter. 139 total appearances in sixteen years. I thought he was alright.
:nervous: I remember myself insisting that Anders could be good enough for us and should be played more often. The biggest humble pie I had to eat in my life.

DRM

Jon Stead. Burst through the scenes at Blackburn, even scored a winner against us if memory serves me right. The goals then dried up and was never mentioned again!

Saffron

Most Danish players except Schmeichel, Laudrup and Gravesen (for comedic reasons).

In the mid 2000s they plenty of ”stars” that all seem very forgettable now.

Cristiano_RAFC

Bojinov. I remember him being hyped up as a future star before signing for City. I barely remember him featuring for them. I wonder how his carreer turned out.

Red Stone

Bojinov. I remember him being hyped up as a future star before signing for City. I barely remember him featuring for them. I wonder how his carreer turned out.
Part of the Bulgarian Beasts on CM 03-04 along with Anatoly Todorov.

Being in that game was as far as they ever got as far as I'm concerned. Never heard of them outside of that.

dmode

We should start a new thread about the players we never thought would make it.

Grande

Hulk. one of the most overrated and most forgettable "star" players ever. pointless clubs, pointless career.
‘Overrated’ (by whom?) is not the same as forgotten. I think most people here remember him well enough for his strength. His carreer is certainly respectable. Hulk scored well over 100 goals in 200 games for Porto and Zenith, winning league and both cups in both Portugal and Russia, a treble including the Europa league once, he has more than 50 caps for Brazil, including an Olympic Silver and a World Cup SF.

He came onto the European scene late after spending quite a bit of his youth developping (and scoring) in Japan before he broke theough at Porto, and he opted early (around 30) for a luctrative China deal with Shanghai. So if he went under the radar of some Europeans, It may be mostly due to them following their own local league and the CL.

BigMacBaz

Completely forgot about Elano that played with City and Geovanni for Hull around a similar time I think can just vaguely remember both scoring wonder goals for half a season before vanishing. Also Grafite and the deadly partnership with Dzeko for Wolfsburg in there title winning season no idea where he ended up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He had 2-3 ACLs with them, was pretty good in Seria A. Probably their Rossi.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Breel Embolo.
At one time he was even more highly rated than Dembele. How is he now?
Ruined by injuries. He had a long-term injury that caused him to majority of the 2017/18 and had a three-month absence this season. Still only 22, but already looks like he lost a yard of pace.

United58

Geremi
Tiago
Smertin
Mutu
Kezman
Jiri Jarosik
Maniche
Asier Del Horno

I'm a massive PES aficionado and for about a decade I was convinced Kezman only existed in that game.

Back in the mid 00s Liverpool had a load of random players like Zenden and Sissoko for a couple of seasons, their squad used to be very exotic and in constant turnover. I suppose we'll look back in a decade at Blind, Rojo, Schneiderlin in the same way.

Freddy Sears, West Ham's teenage superstar with 2 PL goals.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Most Danish players except Schmeichel, Laudrup and Gravesen (for comedic reasons).

In the mid 2000s they plenty of ”stars” that all seem very forgettable now.
I remember that Christian Poulsen guy from that time. Birmingham wanted to sign him in 2002 after promotion but he went to Germany instead, then Totti spat at him in euro 2004 and he somehow played for Juve and Liverpool in his career although didn't last long at either.

Rommendahl was another who looked amazing at PSV but didn't do much when he played in the prem.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I was reminded of Ross Turnbull last night during a game of PES 6.

Only 34 but retired two years ago which is weird for a keeper. I'm assuming injuries played a part. Currently a coach at Hartlepool.

Bokito

In another thread, someone mentioned Milan Baros. I had to think really deep to rember anything about his career, even though it was quite the player...

RochaRoja

In another thread, someone mentioned Milan Baros. I had to think really deep to rember anything about his career, even though it was quite the player...
Literally the only thing he did during his Portsmouth career was cost United the treble.

Arguably “scored” in a Champions League final too as Šmicer’s goal would probably have been saved by Dida if not for Baroš’s hand deflecting it in.

Ramos

Germany had a couple of players during their transitional period that could have been important but it didn't really happen for them. I'm thinking:
Tim Borowski
David Odonkor
Mike Hanke

Graveyard

I remember that Christian Poulsen guy from that time. Birmingham wanted to sign him in 2002 after promotion but he went to Germany instead, then Totti spat at him in euro 2004 and he somehow played for Juve and Liverpool in his career although didn't last long at either.
Poulsen has a nice resume for a player of his ability. Players like him arent used much these days. Latest news is that he'll be assistent manager at ajax next season.