Players you had forgotten existed

Baneofthegame

Dmitro Chrgysynski.

Probably not spelled correctly but Pep bought him at Barca for around 25-30 million which was a fair bit, still playing at AEK Athens.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wtf Raul Meireles actually won PFA fans player of the year?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Luke Garbutt. 26. Still at Everton. On his 6th loan move since 2011. I think this might be the one that gets him some first team football with us. He is developing well.

Lay

David Johnson former Ipswich and Forest striker. Richard Keys infamously called him “Choco Jocko” when he was linked to play for Scotland.

Redcy

Wtf Raul Meireles actually won PFA fans player of the year?
Yep, bizarre isn't it, he had a very good month where he scored 5 in 7, including a worldy one time edge of the box volley. So he was voted for the monthly award. Only players awarded the monthly award can win the year award. There were plenty of players who could lay claims to it, like Nasri who won it 3 or 4 times, and a few others, but him being a liverpool fan they all piled in on the vote.

Redcy

Anyone any idea what actually happened to Martin, I know he plays for Exeter now, as I came across him playing FIFA20, but what happened in his game/life that saw him drop so fast? He was this blinding talent back in the day scoring and assisting. I know he went out on loan, but he just disappeared? Lackof effort/desire? Home life? Injuries?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really want to know what that Michael Johnson fella who was at City is doing now. There is absolutely nothing about him on the internet since he retired at the age of 24.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I really want to know what that Michael Johnson fella who was at City is doing now. There is absolutely nothing about him on the internet since he retired at the age of 24.
Became an estate agent. Had issues with drink which meant he lost interest in football.

BTW is it true Omar Naisse is still an Everton player?! :lol: Been out of favour numerous times there (although always seems to get another chance when there's a change of manager). Everton signed him four and a half years ago.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Became an estate agent. Had issues with drink which meant he lost interest in football.

BTW is it true Omar Naisse is still an Everton player?! :lol: Been out of favour numerous times there (although always seems to get another chance when there's a change of manager). Everton signed him four and a half years ago.
Posted above about another player that you'd forget was still an Everton player. We have loads of players that clubs just will not buy. We have publicly tried to flog Niasse and people still won't buy him. :lol: Niasse, Besic, Martina, Garbutt, Sandro, Bolasie. All of them are still Everton players.

drdoityourself

Tiago

Played for Benfica, Chelsea, Lyon (while they were still dominant in France), Juventus and Atletico Madrid.

66 caps for a very good Portugal generation. Quite a remarkable career for such a forgettable player.

Just retired in 2017, but it feels like 15 years ago at least, had totally forgotten about him until I saw him in an old clip.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Posted above about another player that you'd forget was still an Everton player. We have loads of players that clubs just will not buy. We have publicly tried to flog Niasse and people still won't buy him. :lol: Niasse, Besic, Martina, Garbutt, Sandro, Bolasie. All of them are still Everton players.
Yeah we had Bolasie on loan but had enough of paying his 80k a week wages! Think he went to Anderlecht but that was last season so no idea what he's been up to so far this season.

Thought Besic had gone to Sheffield full time. Seen Sandro play a bit in Spain for the clubs you've sent him on loan to and his confidence is shot infront of goal (if he was ever that good in the first place). Thought Cuco Martina was rubbish at Southampton bar that amazing goal he scored v Arsenal so no idea why you signed him.

No Love

Nadir Belhadj, formerly of Portsmouth. Still playing in Qatar, actually. I liked him, he was quite skilful, had good pace and could get up and down the line.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Kevin Kuranyi - does anyone else remember him? A proper nutcase with one of the most colourful backstories in the game. Brazilian born to a German father of Hungarian descent and a Panamanian mother.

Has a fantastic wikipedia entry - "Apart from his native Brazilian Portuguese and German, Kurányi also speaks conversational Spanish, English, Russian, and Hungarian"
What makes you think he was a nutcase? Apart from his infamous farewell to Jogi Löw I have never heard much odd stuff about him other than he thought more of himself than most of his coaches .
I could name others of his generation that better fit that description..?!

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I was looking at Saviola yesterday and noticed he finished joint top goal scorer in La Liga on his debut season at the age of 19 with 17 goals for Barcelona. What is the reason he never went on to become a great player ?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Timo Hilderbrand. Thought he was brilliant up and coming keeper at Stuttgart (Kuyrani mentions made me look up that team) and Germany number one once Kahn retired.

Move to Valencia really seemed to stall his career. Came back to play in Bundesliga but looks that status. Could've been him instead of Neuer at 2010 and 2014 world cups (as could've been Robert Enke of course).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
From the Brazil thread: Cicinho

Genuinely forgot all about him until that thread.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Tiago

Played for Benfica, Chelsea, Lyon (while they were still dominant in France), Juventus and Atletico Madrid.

66 caps for a very good Portugal generation. Quite a remarkable career for such a forgettable player.

Just retired in 2017, but it feels like 15 years ago at least, had totally forgotten about him until I saw him in an old clip.
Really underappreciated player, also scored a screamer from 30 yards at old Trafford, Mourinho reaction was hilarious.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
But do you Miguel Guzman, who played left back and occasionally DM for Valencia back in the day? Was good enough to get 20+ caps for Argentina when they had a very good team.

No, you probably don't remember him. Because I made him up! The photo above is of Francisco Rufete, who you also don't remember.

What about Kerlon - the Brazilian whose trademark was the ‘seal dribble’ just looked him up and he completely fell off the radar barely playing 100 matches in his career.

Redcy

But do you Miguel Guzman, who played left back and occasionally DM for Valencia back in the day? Was good enough to get 20+ caps for Argentina when they had a very good team.

No, you probably don't remember him. Because I made him up! The photo above is of Francisco Rufete, who you also don't remember.
I remember Rufete at Valencia was great on PES

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I remember Rufete at Valencia was great on PES
)
Rufete also was at Malaga when they had loads of cool players, Dely Valdes and Dario Silva upfront ( :drool:) and Kiki Musampa on the other flank.

Lay

Cicinho bloody hell. I thought he was going to be a massive star. He had a shocker against Arsenal much to my
Friends amusement as I had bigged him up before the game

Ibi Dreams

Just remembered Samed Yesil who signed for Liverpool from Leverkusen. Apparently now playing in the Turkish 3rd division and only 25 years old

Web of Bissaka

I was looking at Saviola yesterday and noticed he finished joint top goal scorer in La Liga on his debut season at the age of 19 with 17 goals for Barcelona. What is the reason he never went on to become a great player ?
What about Kerlon - the Brazilian whose trademark was the ‘seal dribble’ just looked him up and he completely fell off the radar barely playing 100 matches in his career.
Woah, what happened to them?

Also Freddy Adu.

SambaBoy

Aldo Duscher. The guy who broke Beckham's metatarsal when playing in the CL for Deportivo at OT.

Was public enemy no1 in the UK for weeks as he was suspected to miss the WC. He was linked with moves to the Prem afterwards.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just remembered a whole host of 90's Italian Goalkeepers.
Pagliuca
Toldo
Peruzzi
Rossi
Antonioli