Players you had forgotten existed

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Adrian Ilie, one-time Romanian striker. Wiki says he played for Galatasaray and Valencia among others. I just remember him from France 98.
I seem to remember he was pretty good for Valencia around the time they got to the CL Final twice but I may be misremembering.

Lars Bohinen
The type of name that would pop up on Premier League Years.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Ilie was definitely a very talented second striker/wide forward. Maybe slightly undisciplined, but he had looked like he was going to start fulfilling his potential at Valencia, until injuries ruined the rest of his career.

Axe2401

James Rodriguez.
I don't know how such talent can play at Al-Rayyan at age of 30, and Olympiakos at age of 31.

Gazza

English media called Ilie the Romanian Owen when England and Romania played at France 98. They played again in Euro 2000 but I don’t recall Ilie playing then.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Jurgen Macho ex Sunderland goalkeeper, never kicked a ball for us
Tijani Babangida
Mikael Madar
Marco Negri - who was looking like he was going to absolutely blitz the Scottish league
Kiko - Atl. Madrid

Djalminha
Robert Jarni

Sir Erik ten Hag

I find it quite funny how the player who scored the most important goal in Portugal's history was forgotten almost immediately in the same year.

Edwards6

Craig Hignett. Just been watching him on the 'under the cosh' podcast, some great stories from that Middlesbrough team with Ravenelli, Juninho, Gascoigne, Emerson

CarbonStoolBites

Kevin Mirallas - Belgian international winger that played for Everton, was a pretty good player on his day and caused us problems too once or twice.
Plays for AEL Limassol in Cyprus nowadays.

Kopral Jono

Ilie was definitely a very talented second striker/wide forward. Maybe slightly undisciplined, but he had looked like he was going to start fulfilling his potential at Valencia, until injuries ruined the rest of his career.

Romania had a very good batch of players sometime around the turn of the century. Aside from Ilie, you have the likes of Chivu, Contra, Munteanu, Moldovan and Mutu to name a good few. None of them reached their full potential, however.

mu4c_20le

Hugo Viana, supposedly a huge talent like a riquelme type

Mateja Kezman, used to be a stick to beat failed signings from eredivisie with.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Hugo Viana, supposedly a huge talent like a riquelme type
:lol:

I remember that. That really didn't turn out.

From Wiki:

Style of play[edit]
Viana was known for his range of passing and his control of the ball, as well as for taking powerful shots from distance, including from free kicks. Conversely, his ability to contribute equally to defence was criticised by pundits.[5][46] His comparative lack of pace meant that he struggled when placed on the left wing due to Newcastle's strength in central midfield.[6] Charlie Woods, the scout who recommended him to the club, reflected in 2020 that he played like Mesut Özil.[5]

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Craig Hignett. Just been watching him on the 'under the cosh' podcast, some great stories from that Middlesbrough team with Ravenelli, Juninho, Gascoigne, Emerson
That was a decent Boro side that. We beat them in 97 cup final [and 98 league cup], but both their disallowed goals were onside if i remember right. Think they were both headers - Memory has gotten terrible with age :D

Longlivekeano

Romania had a very good batch of players sometime around the turn of the century. Aside from Ilie, you have the likes of Chivu, Contra, Munteanu, Moldovan and Mutu to name a good few. None of them reached their full potential, however.
Romania’s peak was in mid 1990s, not so much turn of 21stC. We saw this in the 1994 World Cup starring Gheorge Hagi, Gica Popescu and Dumitrescu. They even knocked out Maradona’s Argentina in the way to the quarters or semis.

Gazza

The SPL in the mid/late 1990s was a fun place. Rangers and Celtic were able to attract some very decent talent.

A couple from Rangers

Jorg Albertz. I believe they may have called him the Hammer.

Marco Negri. Came and went, but scored Jardel-like numbers for Rangers. Think he was only there one season?

Lorenzo Amoruso. Long-haired captain from Argentina, I think.

Kopral Jono

Romania’s peak was in mid 1990s, not so much turn of 21stC. We saw this in the 1994 World Cup starring Gheorge Hagi, Gica Popescu and Dumitrescu. They even knocked out Maradona’s Argentina in the way to the quarters or semis.
Yeah, I'm fully aware of this. I'm just pointing out that Romania was still producing talents beyond their peak.

massi83

Ritchie De Laet, still playing for Antwerp, who have won all of their first 9 games this season.

Darron Gibson. 34 now. Signed for Salford, but was released right after when the pandemic hit. Resigned for the club the following season, but broke his leg early in the season and was released.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Funny man. Joined my cf gym, shocking how bad his movement patterns were/are
Now plays for a non league team in the over 40s
I find it strange how bad footballers are at the gym. Carragher and Redknapp are also horrible with their form.

SirScholes

I find it strange how bad footballers are at the gym. Carragher and Redknapp are also horrible with their form.
You’d think with being elite professionals they’d know better, or atleast someone at the club would know the benefit of having sound movement patterns and how it would reduce injuries