Players you rate more highly than others did...

Devil81

Two for me.

Davor Suker - Whenever I throw together my favourite all time eleven Davor gets in every time, I'm aware that makes me rate him more highly than others as realistically he's not in an all time eleven but he was still an incredible striker. Forgetting his stint at Arsenal when he was finished he had a fantastic career and is one of them strikers that was actually better the higher the level he went. The chip on Schmeichel at Euro 96 alone was something extra special.

Steven Davis - Aston Villa, Rangers and Southampton, just came into my head a minute ago because I always thought he was an extremely tidy little player that barely ever put a foot wrong whatever the opposition. I always thought he'd step up to a better team but never got a look in.

Glorio

For a very very very short period: Anderson :lol:

Others:
Darren Fletcher
Craig Bellamy
Aaron Ramsey
Jay Jay Okocha
Rui Costa

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If John Obi Mikel was in the premier league now everyone would be raving about him. The most press resistant player I've ever seen.

George the Cat

Stevie Coppell, one of the best wingers we ever had, career cut cruelly short by injury.

iHicksy

Beckham. Even on here, or maybe especially on here I feel he is criminally underrated. I don't know if it's because of the way he left. But he was the absolute best crosser in world football for his entire career. He was so devastatingly effective that he didn't need to use pace to beat a man, all it took was a half yard knock forward and he'd whip in the perfect cross 9/10. I think maybe people forget that his passing was up there with the very best, perhaps because he played on the right wing and is known for his crossing and freekicks people forget what a ridiculous passer of the ball he was. He'd pull of the same passes the likes of Scholes and KDB could but didn;t get the same coverage. Then there's his freekicks. Not since Becks have I seen a player that once we had a freekick on the edge of the area you were more convinced it was going in, than wasn't.

Just check out this video of his passing range, the weight of his passes is absolutely perfect.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
@FrankDrebin ?

No coincidence he had his best games against Pep's Barca and Heynckes's Bayern. Two of the best pressing teams ever.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
But he's the best press resistant player you've ever seen ?
In his last Chelsea seasons I don't recall him ever having the ball nicked from him. Ridicule me all you want but at the top of my head I can't think of anyone else who could deal with a team pressing intensely like him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think Bruno fits our style under Ole more than Mount would. Mount fits Tuchel's system perfectly. He's very controlled, patient and adept at finding pockets of space. Bruno is more of an emotional percentage player suited to our fast transitions. I think Ziyech and Pulisic are the Chelsea players that would suit our team under Ole.
Agree that both Bruno and Mount are in the perfect place where they are now, but among the most striking features of Mount's game to me are drive and intensity. Both against the ball and in fast transitions.

Jacob

Johnny Evans
Wes Brown
Darren Fletcher
Javier Saviola

Classical Mechanic

Agree that both Bruno and Mount are in the perfect place where they are now, but among the most striking features of Mount's game to me are drive and intensity. Both against the ball and in fast transitions.
He generally looks for the 'right' pass rather than going for a high risk potentially high impact one, which I think is a key distinction between them. I wonder if Chelsea would swap DVB for Ziyech. I think that would suit both sides.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably Pogba, but he’s such a polarising figure it’s hard to say, ask one person they’ll tell you he’s the best player in the world, ask another they’ll tell you he’s shit. I think he’s a legitimately world class footballer, which is probably higher than most people rate him?

I don’t know how highly I rate him persay, because I don’t watch him enough, but the sight of Giroud coming off the bench against us for Arsenal/Chelsea has always worried me. Yet he seems to be a laughing stock to some. I’ve always considered him very dangerous.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Two for me.

Davor Suker - Whenever I throw together my favourite all time eleven Davor gets in every time, I'm aware that makes me rate him more highly than others as realistically he's not in an all time eleven but he was still an incredible striker. Forgetting his stint at Arsenal when he was finished he had a fantastic career and is one of them strikers that was actually better the higher the level he went. The chip on Schmeichel at Euro 96 alone was something extra special.

Steven Davis - Aston Villa, Rangers and Southampton, just came into my head a minute ago because I always thought he was an extremely tidy little player that barely ever put a foot wrong whatever the opposition. I always thought he'd step up to a better team but never got a look in.
Davis is a good shout. Even at 36 he's just settled an Old Firm tie with an overhead kick on the back of one of the best seasons of his career. He was always comfortable on the ball, with a good engine, and a reliable 7/10 in Europe against top opposition. He could easily have been a cog in a bigger team from a top league.
Thiago Mendes
Gabi
Ruben Baraja

Think Thiago was good everywhere he played and added a lot to his teams. Very unselfish player. No coincidence that he would be such a great partner with Gabi, who is another unheralded player. Superb player yet never got one cap for Spain.

Baraja was the bees knees. Perhaps never got the recognition and praise as Mendieta and then Aimar did, but he was so consistent and over a long stretch of time. A true all-round midfielder who chipped in with a lot of goals.
Aye, I think he was as good as it gets amongst CMs inbetween the peaks of the Keane/Davids/Redondo/Vieira generation and the Xavi/Iniesta/Schweinsteiger/Fabregas lot. Rarely gets the recognition because he 'only' played for Valencia, despite them being one of the very best sides in Europe through the early 2000s.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Özil

Loved watching him play, very classy. Last two or so seasons were rubbish though.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He generally looks for the 'right' pass rather than going for a high risk potentially high impact one, which I think is a key distinction between them. I wonder if Chelsea would swap DVB for Ziyech. I think that would suit both sides.
That's true, Mount is an AM leaning towards the midfielder side, Bruno to the attacker side. (Tendencies, not absolutes.) That's why I agree both are in an ideal place in their respective teams.

Just thought that if I'd name an emotional percentage player (provided I understand that term correctly) in that Chelsea offense, it's Mount before anyone else. Can understand why some may point to Pulisic (mustn't be either/or anyway), but to me Mount is the heart & soul, and as much a driving force. I reckon it won't be long until he'll be captain.

DDROGBA

If John Obi Mikel was in the premier league now everyone would be raving about him. The most press resistant player I've ever seen.
Obi Mikel was a big game player...great in multiple FA Cup finals, the CL final, man of the match in ACN Final.

one of our greatest midfielders ever!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Robinho. Genuine world class talent.
For a brief period he was outstanding for Madrid but injury happened and then they tried to flog him to us for Cristiano and his form dipped. Good first season at City but poor second. Did well at Milan and won the league.

He was out of this world in one of the Copa America’s. Brilliant talent who should have been top 5 in the world for a couple of years but never was.

Suedesi

Didnt realise had such a big injury, he did fade. 3-4years though, lets face it Cantona and Ronaldhino will be forever remembered for there careers which both really only had a similar golden period
Ronaldinho had a higher peak imo. ADP had a cult following by Juve fans similar to Cantona with United, that parallel is accurate (though he won more CL's and with the national team than Cantona).

thepolice123

Aye, I think he was as good as it gets amongst CMs inbetween the peaks of the Keane/Davids/Redondo/Vieira generation and the Xavi/Iniesta/Schweinsteiger/Fabregas lot. Rarely gets the recognition because he 'only' played for Valencia, despite them being one of the very best sides in Europe through the early 2000s.
Bentiez's Valencia had a pretty great midfield. Baraja's partner-in-crime Albelda was a superb defensive midfielder. On the wings they had someone like Vincente. In the #10 there was Aimar.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Baraja was the bees knees. Perhaps never got the recognition and praise as Mendieta and then Aimar did, but he was so consistent and over a long stretch of time. A true all-round midfielder who chipped in with a lot of goals.
Oh yeah! For some reason I really disliked Albelda and really loved Baraja, which was probably unfair :lol:

Trex

Yaya Toure; doesn't get the recognition that the likes of Silva, Aguero and Kompany gets even though I think he was just as great, he should be regarded as one of EPL all time best midfielder he was that good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yaya Toure; doesn't get the recognition that the likes of Silva, Aguero and Kompany gets even though I think he was just as great, he should be regarded as one of EPL all time best midfielder he was that good.
100% agree. At his best he was better than anything I’ve seen in the PL.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Another from left-field but, Dan Petrescu.

It may well have been that his era was when I was young and I remember fondly, but he’s up there with the best right backs I’ve ever seen in the PL for me, maybe the best. Was a class footballer, goalscoring right back with great finesse who loved to chip a keeper.

Reiver

Probably right. My main memory of him now, though, is the story about him whinging because City didn't get him a birthday cake.

Rossa

Beckham. Even on here, or maybe especially on here I feel he is criminally underrated. I don't know if it's because of the way he left. But he was the absolute best crosser in world football for his entire career. He was so devastatingly effective that he didn't need to use pace to beat a man, all it took was a half yard knock forward and he'd whip in the perfect cross 9/10. I think maybe people forget that his passing was up there with the very best, perhaps because he played on the right wing and is known for his crossing and freekicks people forget what a ridiculous passer of the ball he was. He'd pull of the same passes the likes of Scholes and KDB could but didn;t get the same coverage. Then there's his freekicks. Not since Becks have I seen a player that once we had a freekick on the edge of the area you were more convinced it was going in, than wasn't.

Just check out this video of his passing range, the weight of his passes is absolutely perfect.

Watching just 5 minutes of that, and I'm left thinking that he, out of the small sample have had 20 more assists to his name. Brilliant passer! Beckham and Scholes are probably United's finest passers as long as I've watched football.

Rossa

He was perhaps too powerful and physical to be mentioned alongside the technical players that you mentioned. The thing is though, that he was probably just as technical. In addition he was frightfully fast once he got going, and he was impossibly strong.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Moutinho was the best CM in the world behind Xavi and Iniesta during his peak.

Trex

He was perhaps too powerful and physical to be mentioned alongside the technical players that you mentioned. The thing is though, that he was probably just as technical. In addition he was frightfully fast once he got going, and he was impossibly strong.
Yah he was like Pogba going forward, but with more discipline and superior decision making on the ball, he could just take hold of a game and be totally unplayable and he could play all three midfield position.

Eddy_JukeZ

Never heard anyone say Xavi is better than Iniesta to be fair!!! :eek:

Edit: But I've just seen it affirmed on this thread. For me, Iniesta is the absolute daddy. Will pass the opposition to submission, off the ball movement, very deceptive speed, dribbling, intelligence - he had it all
Xavi is a level above Iniesta.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Xavi is a level above Iniesta.
Agreed. Iniesta was world class and could do some things Xavi couldn’t, but watching them week in week out when they were at the peaks, it was clear Xavi was the one who had the most influence on the team.

kidbob

To be honest I don't believe that Anderson was as bad as people remember overall. For me his main problems were obviously injuries. However contrary to belief I don't think he was lazy by nature I simply believe that he was a guy that didn't have the mental fortitude to keep trying to come back from setback after setback. I remember a game against Reading where he was incredible for the first about 25 minutes and capped it off with a great goal (I mean great goal) and then injured his knee again. He looked so devastated coming off, like a guy that just wanted his body to allow him to play consistent football. He was an excellent carrier of the ball (attack the space!), has great vision and creativity but was a bit inconsistent in his passing and overall looked like a guy who could have adapted to the role of CM (I don't think SAF was wrong in this) but simply never got the game time to do so because his body wouldn't allow it (a bit like Phil Jones, who I'll always say could have been incredible). Let's not forget he suffered the leg break very young too.

I honestly think if everyone here had the ability to sit down and watch every games he's played for us then I reckon he had more decent to good or very good games for us than truly awful ones. Ultimately I think he eventually gave up after one injury too many, which the rest of his career would suggest.

Here's the goal, great first time pass to Young and super finish.