Players you rate more highly than others did...

Devil81

I know some thought he was a show pony but I loved it when Denilson would get his cameo at the end of matches for Brazil.

It was like they unleashed the Harlem Globetrotter.

The skill levels were absolutely insane.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Roy Makaay
I rated him higher than van Nistelrooij
Probably the same here, although they're slightly different types of attacker. Makaay had a better left peg, more of a threat from around the edge of the box, and stronger in the air. He was a little more rounded and had the skillset to play off the right (as he often did for the national team) or as a second striker for Depor. All of that said, Ruud was more devastating in the penalty box. Next to nothing between their goal records during their 3-year peaks (RVN 110 goals, Makaay 104 goals). When you factor in assists Makaay was a bit more productive (RVN 0.85g+a per game, Makaay 0.95 g+a per game). Comparable in their standards, just depends what you need in your team.

Last edited:

Welbeckham

Thiago Motta was an incredible player. Very slow, but his football brain was unbelievable. It was a pleasure to watch him jogging around with his silky left foot and always making the right decision.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maguire's one for me. In my opinion, he's one of the best CBs in the league and rarely gets the respect he deserves.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rob van Persie

One of the best strikers I’ve seen in my life, and for about 3 years touched an incredible level and for me, is up their with the very, very best centre forwards this league has ever seen. And he made it look so good too. Great player, who is obviously rated, but nowhere near highly enough for my liking.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I join the Makaay club, without going to assess whether Van Nistelrooy was better.
I loved him in his time at Deportivo and I think he is not remembered as much as he should be

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yes, Makaay was damn great. He had this predatory instinct, total confidence, and an unbelievable shooting technique. Also a unique way of making unpredictable decisions and the skills to back it up. My favourite goal was the first one against Ajax in 2004 - I mean, who finishes off a counter like that?

Jerzol78

Hargreaves, Kuyt, Piszczek, Riquelme, Joaquin, David Villa.

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Zico, he never gets mentioned in Top 10 discussions when he most certainly should.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ruud was better thank Makaay but both were quality.

Fred currently. Clearly has his flaws but what he does is so important. Matic and Fred rolled into one would be ideal.

Pickle85

Sort of semi-related but I remember watching one Derby game years ago and coming away convinced that Seth Johnson was destined for greatness. Despite the next two seasons of him being bang average I remained convinced he was just about to catch fire. All based off of one game. There's still a part of me that thinks "he's only 42 now...maybe he's just a very late bloomer..."

Suedesi

Lee Bowyer - that Leeds team was a bunch of hard bastards to play against. Made it back to back to UEFA and CL semifinals playing a high-tempo, electric style. As a sidenote, can't believe David O'Leary never got another decent job after Leeds and Villa.

SerenityValley

Henrik Larsson.

For a decade I had frequent arguments with English football fans over his top class quality. They couldn’t see past the league he was playing in.

Sure a lot changed their minds over time but that doesn’t count for me - he wasn’t rated properly whilst in Scotland. Despite a terrible leg break he was still an unbelievable talent.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Maguire's one for me. In my opinion, he's one of the best CBs in the league and rarely gets the respect he deserves.
I work with a scouse fan who genuinely argues that Coady and Mings are both "miles better" than Maguire.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
At their prime:

Laurent Robert
Robert Pires
William Gallas
Jeremy Menez
Ceara

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thiago Motta was an incredible player. Very slow, but his football brain was unbelievable. It was a pleasure to watch him jogging around with his silky left foot and always making the right decision.
Another man of taste here - The best of the Brazilian, Italian and Spanish (product of Barcelona FC) football reunited in one player :drool:

Polar

Players like Henderson and Dier deserve more credit.

Luke1995

I always felt like Sturridge and Walcott were underrated. Maybe a case of unfulfilled potential.

Sturridge was great in the season Liverpool almost won the league.

Walcott had many world class games during his career. But it was married by inconsistency to maintain it week in - week out.

Gibb11

At their prime:

Laurent Robert
Robert Pires
William Gallas
Jeremy Menez
Ceara
Don't really know how good he was or rated at PSG and Roma but I was surprised how good he was at AC Milan before his injury, basically a one man offence for them, super ability