Players you really wanted here but failed when they joined other clubs

jem

I really wanted Woodward to bring Ronaldo back in 2018. The club didn't even attempt to compete with Juventus.

Look at the numbers he's had over there in these two seasons. We would probably be much closer to catching City/Liverpool
What does that have to do with this thread?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
12 words in the title is clearly at least 6 too many.

hubbuh

Joe Cole, Bentley (:D), Diarra (Lyon), Bojan Krkic, A. Diaby, Isaksson, Joaqin, Vicente, Aimar, Riquelme, Adriano.
That is a superb shout. One that immediately comes to mind is Yann M'Vila from 2012. I remember thinking he was exactly what we needed at the time, despite barely ever seeing him play. He ended up at Sunderland during his prime years, which tells you all you need to know.

el3mel

Modric was a big one for me when Scholes was nearing the end. Thought we should have went for him before Madrid came sniffing.
Modric didn't fail though ? He's talking about players that joined other clubs and didn't live up to the expectations.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Sneijder. Went downhill after he snubbed us for a 4th or 5th time. That really did it! That old age and retirement made me decide I no longer wanted him and all was good.

/s

Red Stone

Desperately wanted us to pick up that Messi fella before he joined Barca. Wanted Ramos from Sevilla too, and we were so close to signing Kroos before he joined Madrid. Seem to recall being linked to Varane too? He was an FM god, so I obviously wanted him. De Bruyne, Lewandowski and Mbappe are other obvious picks.

whitey white

fps

I remember when we almost got Ronaldinho before he joined Barcelona.

That one has stuck with me. Could you have imagined peak Ronaldinho running at defences at Old Trafford. Madness.
That’s not what the thread asked.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why? He was very highly rated in La Liga, those videos of him locking up Ronaldo and Messi were extremely enticing I remember.

Or are you saying he hasn't been a disappointment for City?
He has not. Past 2 seasons City conceded the least amount of goals in the league.

Do you understand the thread?
Yes. It's a massive stretch to say he failed at City.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Based purely on football manager, Carlos Kameni. Had an alright career but I thought he'd be a worldie.

Also Tim Borowski - I followed Bremen as an adopted team around 2006. Thought he'd be unbelievable alongside Scholes but he flopped hard at Bayern.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Morata - really looking forward for him joining us, thought he'd become a class player for us
Renato Sanches - really thought he was world class talent
Goetze - They call him German Messi, I really buy into the hype, he was surely the golden boy back then
Sneijder - Every single fella here in Redcafe wants him back then, thought he might be our new Cantona type of signing
Joe Cole - Thought he was going to be class player in future, and has the potential to reach the heights of Scholes
Joaqin - really want him that time, such a wonder winger

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Always thought Eren Derdiyok was going to end up being a big time striker when he was at Leverkusen.

He has not. Past 2 seasons City conceded the least amount of goals in the league.

Yes. It's a massive stretch to say he failed at City.
Most City posters here would tell you Otamendi has been disappointing. There's a reason he's not first choice over a converted defensive midfielder when everyone is fit. We conceded one more goal than City this year, are our defenders all top signings as well? City have to defend far less than other teams with the amount of possession they have and the way they counter-press high up the pitch, Otamendi is decent in a high line and on the ball though. Personally, I thought Otamendi was destined to be one of the best CBs in the league after his move. He hasn't been a complete failure, but definitely a disappointment (and surprisingly soft for such an aggressive centreback that likes kicking balls at people's heads when they're on the ground). We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Most City posters here would tell you Otamendi has been disappointing. There's a reason he's not first choice over a converted defensive midfielder when everyone is fit. We conceded one more goal than City this year, are our defenders all top signings as well? City barely have to defend with the amount of possession they have and the way they counter-press high up the pitch, I'm judging this off of watching their games. Personally, I thought Otamendi was destined to be one of the best CBs in the league after his move. He hasn't been a complete failure, but definitely a disappointment (and surprisingly soft for such an aggressive centreback that likes kicking balls at people's heads when they're on the ground). We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Agree to disagree, but I'm still laughing at his mentions here.

Glorio

A few off the top of my head:
  1. Tom Ince - there were a fair few debates on whether we should've gotten him or Zaha (not like Zaha did great for us though!)
  2. Ballack - Not a flop, but not brilliant
  3. Obi Mikel - Wow for all that drama as well.
  4. Didier Zokora
  5. Samir Nasri

Reactions: Invictus

iHicksy

More recently Pedro to Chelsea. Thought he was going to tear the league up coming from Barca and thought he'd be ideal for our right wing. Bakayoko to Chelsea too.

Tiber

Was gutted that we picked Lukaku over Morata.

Maybe I am just stubborn, but I still think there's a chance Morata could have been much better if we signed him

RyRoc

Wouldn't say quite a few of the players that have been mentioned 'failed' perhaps didn't quite live up to expectations. Also I disagree with Pepe, Ndombele or anyone who played their first season last year as failing as for all we know they could turn it around.

Panther

Otamendi, looked great at Valencia but disappointing at City.

NotQuiteManc

I am not sure if Mexes can be considered as a success or failure, but I think he could be considered as a player I really wanted just because Sir Alex really wanted it to join United.

Bogga

Going back a bit...
Didier Zokora was meant to be the next big defensive midfielder prior to signing for Spurs.

Freddy Adu was meant to be footballs shining star for the next decade and was even on trial here. I was sure it would end with he signing him.

I was annoyed we didn’t go for Damien Duff the year he left Chelsea. Thought he would have been quality for us. He was never the same and was just an average winger by that point.

And finally, Pedro when he was leaving Barca. We were heavily linked. I thought he would be amazing for us. He’s just kinda done OK-ish for Chelsea
Freddy... damn... he didn't just fail, he super-mega-failed! :lol:

SATA

De Ligt. He’s been muck at Juventus but he is still young and can improve. He would have been slaughtered like Maguire if he had put some of those Juve performances in a United shirt

Ribble Valley Red

Steven Defour. There seemed to be firm interest in him but suffered injury and later underwhelmed at Burnley.

Havak

Pokemon master
Not a drastic failure, but he didn't fit in at Real Madrid and I'd really wanted us to sign him that Summer prior.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

His seasons at Real Madrid and AC Milan from 2009-2010 would probably be regarded as failure despite 15 goals in 45 league games combined. Went to Schalke then back to Ajax and made a much better time of it. But still, barely won anything in the grand scheme of things despite being a very good forward.

It would probably have been out of him or Berbatov for us at the time and Sir Alex went with Dimitar (or maybe Klaas fancied Madrid more). Still, think he'd have scored a lot more goals for us and won some bigger honours.

In Rainbows

De Ligt. He’s been muck at Juventus but he is still young and can improve. He would have been slaughtered like Maguire if he had put some of those Juve performances in a United shirt
Apparently he's been good for them. Just behind Ronaldo and Dybala. Think he just started off bad.

RiqCantona

A few names over the years:
Ronaldinho (faded away towards the end at Barca)
Huntelaar
Sneijder (Couldn't do it at Real)
Griezmann (Jury is still out)

As far as I remember, we were a signature away from signing them.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Would Patrick Kluivert be considered a failure at Barcelona? If so then him in summer of 1998.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
A few names over the years:
Robben
Essien
Ronaldinho
Sneijder
Hazard
Griezmann

As far as I remember, we were a signature away from signing them.
But they were all really successful.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't think of any but those saying Morata is a good shout, I felt at the time he was a far more exciting player to sign than Lukaku who we knew what we were getting. Funny how shit both ended up being