Players you really wanted here but failed when they joined other clubs

manutddjw

I also wanted Morata over Lukaku and looking back I think my reasoning was solid. To me we needed a striker that was good with his feet and create chances for themselves because at the time we barely created anything. Morata was better suited for that than Lukaku although I never took into consideration Jose didn’t want to play that way.

Also Griezmann. I was a regular in that thread for 2 summers.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ballack. Thought he was the best in the world at the time at what he did, and couldn't believe he ended up Chelsea. Made so much sense for us. Then was just, meh for them.

Still think Fergie would have gotten more out of him. What a player.

Paul_Scholes18

Vidal at Juventus. Wanted him more than Pogba during that LVG summer when we wanted him in the press.
Then at Bayern and Barcelona he hasn't really produced at that level that I thought he would for us.
Also wanted David Luiz, but I think he has done pretty well mostly for Chelsea. Commical errors at Arsenal though and smashed by Germany.

Last edited:

Cloud7

I see the first post mentions Jovic. I really did hope he would have joined us, as he looked an almost sure thing. Since his name is mentioned here I'm guessing he hasn't done too well since going to Madrid?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Thought Alexei Arshavin was a neat dribbler, but doing that in the EPL is very different from everywhere else, where you get more protection from the refs.

Cloud7

I really wanted John Stones and thought he had the potential to become one of the best CB's around

Paul_Scholes18

I really wanted John Stones and thought he had the potential to become one of the best CB's around
He was one I thought would fail big time at City. He was almost proving me wrong as they won the title twice and he played a fair amount, but now showed his true colors again.

Paul_Scholes18

true, this thread would make people realise we are not the only ones make mistakes in the market
Mourinho made the biggest error letting De Bruyne, Lukaku(maybe not a big error) and Salah go. He won the league having Hazard, Costa and Fabregas/Matic, but it sure made Chelsea weaker long term.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How come? He’s an absolute liability. A more technically able Mustafi if you will
How has he been an absolute liability? He's been a significant part of one of the best defenses in the league over the past 2 seasons where they won 5 trophies.

He wasn't as good this season, but old age and all.

el3mel

Mourinho made the biggest error letting De Bruyne, Lukaku(maybe not a big error) and Salah go. He won the league having Hazard, Costa and Fabregas/Matic, but it sure made Chelsea weaker long term.
While KDB is his biggest mistake ever, no doubt about that, he didn't let Salah go though. He sent him on loan. He was still a Chelsea player but on loan to Roma when he was sacked by them. It's ultimately the club that decided 1 year later that Salah isn't good enough long term and sold him to Roma on permanent deal at the end.

vodrake

He was one I thought would fail big time at City. He was almost proving me wrong as they won the title twice and he played a fair amount, but now showed his true colors again.
I think he was still pretty poor even when city were dominating, it was just easier for him to get away with it. Always seemed to be leading the "Errors leading to goals" charts

Snuffkin

Mikel, Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.
Baines, injured and form dipped gradually now retired.
Hazard, fat.
Bale, injured.
Ramos, cnut.
Batistuta, no ankles left.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Gourcuff. Was convinced he would become a star but ended up getting no where near. Moyes' first summer, figured if we got Thiago and Strootman our midfield would be set for years. Might have been the injuries but Strootman ended up dissapointing too.

Eddy_JukeZ

Morata. I wanted him over Lukaku.

In the end, Lukaku was actually a better buy for us all things considered.

Bogga

Mikel, Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.
Baines, injured and form dipped gradually now retired.
Hazard, fat.
Bale, injured.
Ramos, cnut.
Batistuta, no ankles left.
Continued scoring for fun for Viola, joined Roma and won their only league title since 1983. Scored 30 in 63 games for them.
His legs being crap nowadays isn't what this topic is about

Red Stone

The mentions of J-Rod (James Rodriguez) and J-Rod (Jay Rodriguez) got me thinking. Has J-Rod (Jack Rodwell) been mentioned? Was never sold on him, personally, but the hype was massive. Apparently signed for Sheffield United in January, but has barely played. Still only 29, but it feels like he retired five years ago.

Mr Smith

Was gutted that we picked Lukaku over Morata.

Maybe I am just stubborn, but I still think there's a chance Morata could have been much better if we signed him
Nah we dodged a bullet there. He's really talented but had way too many hangups and frequently crumbles under pressure.

francobaresi

I really wanted us to sign Kevin De Bruyne. Such a relief he went to City and flopped massively

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
How has he been an absolute liability? He's been a significant part of one of the best defenses in the league over the past 2 seasons where they won 5 trophies.

He wasn't as good this season, but old age and all.
Stones (who’d also be a good shout for this thread) was meant to be their star centre back but that didn’t work out. Laporte’s the only good one they’ve bought in recent years.

Otamendi isn’t the worst but thinking back most city fans I know at work have been constantly whinging about him. You’re right that he probably doesn’t fully fit into this thread because he would’ve been better playing ahead of shite like Jones or Rojo, but I’d still be unhappy with him and I can get why people are saying his name.

Number32

Lallana, Clyne, Chambers, Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Shaw. I thought they would winning the league with Pochetino.

troylocker

I never wanted him, but Jovic is the most obvious one from the latest years. Many in here wanted him, and he might still make it at a big club, but his debut season at RM was dissapointing to say the least:

26 apps (8 starts, 18 times subbed in), 2 goals and 2 assists in 800 minutes. Halved his marketvalue and has played a grand total of 124 minutes in all comps since the 19th of January.

Toni Roncoroni

I see the first post mentions Jovic. I really did hope he would have joined us, as he looked an almost sure thing. Since his name is mentioned here I'm guessing he hasn't done too well since going to Madrid?
I also hoped that Jovic would join us. What a player he was at Frankfurt. A beast, great work-rate and a killer in front of goal. But as you rightly mention, his season at Real was really bad. Looks like Zidane doesn't rate or trust him. There was no way past Benzeman for him and was only in the media for mad stuff off the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he is moving on this summer.

sp_107

I also hoped that Jovic would join us. What a player he was at Frankfurt. A beast, great work-rate and a killer in front of goal. But as you rightly mention, his season at Real was really bad. Looks like Zidane doesn't rate or trust him. There was no way past Benzeman for him and was only in the media for mad stuff off the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he is moving on this summer.
Worth bringing him as he could be a great success here OR it would block Mason's development?

I think Jiménez or Jovic can improve our striking options but we have Martial/Greenwood , I think better we spend money on Grealish/Sancho.

Toni Roncoroni

Worth bringing him as he could be a great success here OR it would block Mason's development?

I think Jiménez or Jovic can improve our striking options but we have Martial/Greenwood , I think better we spend money on Grealish/Sancho.
I think we will need a further striker anyway. So Jovic (maybe on loan) or Jimenez would be great additions. As we will have a lot of important games we will need a few bodys who can perform. I don't think it would block Masons development. Will be interesting to see how he is going to perform next season after this great season he had.

Sancho is a must. I would love Grealish too. Or Rice.

SER19

Mangala and otamendi were both cautionary tales for me to never feel particularly strongly for any player I actually haven't seen much of away from YouTube. Convinced myself fully they were vidic and ferdinand.

Acole9

Outstanding
I remember wanting Ings when he was at Burnley. I know he's had a good season at Southampton but yeah...

Halftrack

I was definitely in camp Morata during that summer when we signed Lukaku.

I was on the Pedro train as well, though I guess he hasn't failed so much as been underwhelming.

I was really into Griezmann as well, but like Pedro, I think he's been more underwhelming than failed. Plus, it's a bit early to declare him a failure after one season.

And finally, Pedro when he was leaving Barca. We were heavily linked. I thought he would be amazing for us. He’s just kinda done OK-ish for Chelsea
After we failed to land him, we were heavily linked with Mané. This got a bunch of Caf posters really mad, because Pedro was the quality we should be aiming for, while Mané was beneath us. Funny how things turn out.
Morten Gamst Pederson (Back when we were eternally linked with him)
Pedersen didn't fail, just wasn't as good as interest from United would suggest.

MrSingh2002

Aurier Mangala Coentrao
R. Sanches
Moura Gaitan Strootman Joaquin
Griezmann Piatek

I'm still kinda convinced if we had bought Strootman from PSV and before his injury he would've gone on to be one of the world best box to box midfielders and probably a United captain.

Coentrao and Mouras careers would've been better had they signed for us and a recent miss for me was letting Piatek go when we could've signed him for around 25m from Milan. He's at Hertha Berlin now so see how his career pans out.

Pughnichi

Seri - went to Fulham. Shamefully fell for the glorious YouTube montage.

Pughnichi

Aurier Mangala Coentrao
R. Sanches
Moura Gaitan Strootman Joaquin
Griezmann Piatek

I'm still kinda convinced if we had bought Strootman from PSV and before his injury he would've gone on to be one of the world best box to box midfielders and probably a United captain.

Coentrao and Mouras careers would've been better had they signed for us and a recent miss for me was letting Piatek go when we could've signed him for around 25m from Milan. He's at Hertha Berlin now so see how his career pans out.
with you on strootman.

wolvored

One of the biggest youngsters built up as a superstar and I was jealous of was Jose Reyes going to Arsenal. This was a time we were neck and neck with Arsenal at the top.
He did win trophies, but didnt live up to the hype of being the equivalent to a Messi or Ronaldo. Sadly he died a couple of years ago and I know you shoudn't talk ill of the dead, but just saying.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Wanted Malcom here before he left for Barcelona thinking he would solve our long lasting RW problem.

Thankfully it never happened and he really flopped badly at Barcelona.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Why? He was very highly rated in La Liga, those videos of him locking up Ronaldo and Messi were extremely enticing I remember.

Or are you saying he hasn't been a disappointment for City?
Otamendi had one excellent season for City (2017/18). Other than that he’s been a disappointment.

Not a complete failure like Morata but yeah, he hasn’t lived up to expectations.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I really wanted us to sign Jean Michael Seri in the summer of 2017