Players you really wanted here but failed when they joined other clubs

Daverson

When Mourinho was still here I thought that signing Bale would be worth a shot. I figured that he would love to play some football for a change and get fans behind him – and we needed an experienced game-changer. Thank feck we didn't do anything :lol: It looks like he had completely given up on this sport, I've certainly misjudged his motivation.
Tbf he hasnt given up on golf, his true sport

freeurmind

weak willed
Is Ozil considered a failure at Arsenal?
Shevchenko
Mendieta
Kaka
Nuri Sahin

Irrational.

Anyone remember Cicinho, the Brazilian right back? I was quite excited at the prospect of him signing after I saw him win the CWC against Liverpool in 2005. I remember him being shown around Carrington by Gary Neville, only for him to turn us down for Real Madrid. Never heard from him since.

Likewise Aaron Ramsey. He'd have been ten times the player for us than he was for Arse had he not turned us down.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I wanted us to sign Stan Collymore and was disappointed when the club announced Andy Cole instead.

That hasn’t aged well.

Orange Tree

Anyone remember Ljajic? We signed him along with Zoran Tosic from Serbia. Deal fell through because he couldn't get a work permit.

He seems to be doing quite all right now, but certainly not as good as I thought he would be initially.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is Ozil considered a failure at Arsenal?
Overall he surely has to go down as one as it seems years and years of dreadful heartless performances, going missing, being left out for sketchy reasons and generally waste of spacery.

The season he was a record assist maker seems like a different generation now. That and the days he was the must have player in the German midfield.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wanted us to sign Stan Collymore and was disappointed when the club announced Andy Cole instead.

That hasn’t aged well.
One of those super talented players in the same locker as Gazza. You suspect they'd have gone better with Fergie as boss, but you certainly couldn't have guaranteed it.

The idea of Gazza and Robson in the days where every team had 2 centre mids would have been mouthwatering though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mangala and otamendi were both cautionary tales for me to never feel particularly strongly for any player I actually haven't seen much of away from YouTube. Convinced myself fully they were vidic and ferdinand.
I quite wanted Mangala, having never seen him play but from physical description and nationality, thinking he'd be the next Lillian Thuram!

AshRK

Pepe the arsenal one. Wouldn't call him flop yet but he has been underwhelming.

Canagel

Aurier. I still like him offensively but he turned into a shambles at defending

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I quite wanted Mangala, having never seen him play but from physical description and nationality, thinking he'd be the next Lillian Thuram!
I have rearely seen a player hyped that much when he was clearly not particularly good. I was quite happy when City bought him.

SAFMUTD

I really wanted us to sign Jean Michael Seri in the summer of 2017
I remember him being linked with Barca, labeled as the next Kante. He's now currently in Galatasaray on loan from Fulham.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I have rearely seen a player hyped that much when he was clearly not particularly good. I was quite happy when City bought him.
It's why recruitment is so incredibly important.
City did some amazing recruitment at the start of their oil period, whereas post Fergie we did ridiculous stuff.

Clearly it helps with the unlimited funds City had to play with, mixed with super ambitious owners. Mistakes like Mangala could quickly be written off and another cheque lashed out.
We kept changing from one type of manager to another, with plans totally changing.

We're exceptionally lucky we didn't pile up on too many of Jose's 29/30 year olds at high fees, like Perisic, Willian etc. Especially at the expense of Martial.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really wanted Salas. Think he went to Lazio and was badly injured

Le Red

Early days but if De Ligt can't live up to the hype he's the one I'd put on my list.

el3mel

Overall he surely has to go down as one as it seems years and years of dreadful heartless performances, going missing, being left out for sketchy reasons and generally waste of spacery.

The season he was a record assist maker seems like a different generation now. That and the days he was the must have player in the German midfield.
While the ending for Ozil's career at Arsenal looks pretty bad, I think it's pretty harsh to say he was an overall failure there. He did gave them some very good years earlier and some great goals and passes for them to remember him with at least.

MattofManchester

Riyad Mahrez after Leicester won the league. Was actually shocked we were never in for him and instead opted for Sanchez.

Jackal981

Thought we should get Nicolas Pepe. A RW sized hole in our squad and a rising RW ? Thought it was no brainer at the time

passing-wind

Clyne
Sahin
Javi Martinez
Daehli

I'd be tempted to put Ndombele but I don't think he's played poorly I think his fitness and mentality has given him restrictions but surely he's still a very capable midfielder.

Chief123

Shevchenko to chelsea
Mangala to City
Ndombele to spurs (defo not as good as I thought)
Pepe to Arsenal (Nowhere near as good as I expected!)

Ones that went the opposite way that were even better than I thought they would be:

Ronaldinho to Barca (absolutely broke my heart every time I saw him play!!)
Robben to Chelsea (he was just filthy)
Overmars to Arsenal (was a menace!)

reddevilchennai

Lucas Moura when he went to PSG for the money.

Herrera when he rejected our contract and warming the bench at PSG.

Benjamin Mendy was very good in the first few matches for City. I wish we should have been for him at that time but luckily we weren't. Now he turned into trash.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has done well for City though. Certainly not a failure.
Barely featured when they won the league. He went from a league star performer with Leicester to almost a bit part player. Played a good bit more this season but arguably not a great success yet

Lelouch geass

Eden Hazard and Mane are couple I can think about. I thought we matched the fee for Hazard but he chose Chelsea while we bought Mikhi instead of Mane!

rollingstoned1

Deal fell through because he couldn't get a work permit
That's not what happened. Tosic ended up joining us. We pulled the plug inexplicably on the much more highly regarded and talented ljajic who even smiled and took photos with our shirt. Till date no idea why that happened and it felt like a dick move at the time from us.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Wesley Sneijder was undoubtebly when I was peak muppet, must of visited his thead 10-15 times a day

Tiki-Taka

Eden Hazard and Mane are couple I can think about. I thought we matched the fee for Hazard but he chose Chelsea while we bought Mikhi instead of Mane!
The thread title refers to players that “failed when they joined other clubs”. Mane and Hazard proved to be incredible signings.

Nick7

That's not what happened. Tosic ended up joining us. We pulled the plug inexplicably on the much more highly regarded and talented ljajic who even smiled and took photos with our shirt. Till date no idea why that happened and it felt like a dick move at the time from us.
The official line from us was work permit issues.