Players you're glad we didn't sign

Kag

Xhaka*. I remember RedCafe telling me that he was one of the best midfielders in Europe.

* This could be applied to a whole host of midfielders who turned out to be terrible.

Cloud7

Willian
Morata
Bale (The post Madrid, crocked version that Jose was interested in)
Baines
Milinkovic-Savic
Belotti
Jerome Boateng
Arnautovic

Come to think of it a great many players I consider as bullets dodged were all strongly associated with United under the same manager :lol:

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
Hirst & Shearer of Southampton, both above Eric on the wanted list

Collymore, arguably a better player than Cole, but it may have changed the look of our trophy cabinet

Dybala, seems a real favourite of the hipsters, personally find him overrated and Bruno would probably be at Spurs

Sancho, the transfer thread was hard work during the summer, he's worth half the fee Dortmund wanted and i enjoyed the disappointment the muppets suffered

Last edited:

AndOr Hererra

Andre Gomes
Renato Sanches
Ashley Williams
Josh King
Thomas Meunier
Keylor Navas
Alex Sandro
Andrea Belotti
Jonny Evans
Ezequiel Garay
William Carvalho

Some are more subjective than others but this is just my personal opinion

Last edited:

buckooo1978

surprised to see Sancho in here when Dan James is starting games and Diallo and Pellestri look like Under 23 players this year. There's an open league this year and Sancho could make the difference in spite of our defensive issues

Di Canio was a fantastic player- think he would have been great for us

A lot of mine come from the Van Gaal era - thankfully we didn't spend 80m on Strootman or Savic

sparx99

I’m surprised so many are saying Milinkovic-Savic. He had a poor season a couple years back but I thought he bounced back last season as Lazio finished 4th.

I don’t watch Lazio very often but he’s always seems a good player to me. Maybe a poor mans Lampard. An old-fashioned goal scoring midfielder if you like.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Eriksen, you could see in his last few months with Spurs he'd be another Sanchez with us
Absolutely this.

Imagine if we'd have signed him and not Bruno??

Would've held us back massively. Dodged a bullet there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dier, Eriksen, Dybala are all good shouts.

Beyond that, mostly anyone Jose wanted.

TrustInOle

Eriksen and Dybala in 2019, not sure either were ever that close to actually happening but the club did good by pulling the plug on both before it got too far down the line

We'll never know for sure but of course many feel had we got Ronaldinho in 2003 we wouldn't of gone for Cristiano
Ronaldo.....Rooney.....Ronaldinhio

:drool:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Lewendowski

If saf had got him instead of rvp then probably he'd have banged in 200 Premier league goals for us by now and we would have won a few more trophies... but he's so good he would.probably have kept moyes in the managers job and I cant imagine much more soul destroying than moves having time to build a team of fellainis

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Definitely Vermaelen under LvG. He'd been plagued by injuries forever. He went to Barca, somehow, and continued to be forever injured. No idea why he seemed to want him so badly

Spark

Ronaldo.....Rooney.....Ronaldinhio

:drool:
Imagine having the Two Ronnies. Probably would have been declared illegal.

Slightly on topic, but I’m just glad Mourinho didn’t flog Martial and whoever else he wanted to in order to replace them with older shitter players (e.g. Perisic). As raw and frustrating Martial can be, this would have been a disaster.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I wouldn't have minded Renato Sanches. I think he would've progressed well with us.
Unsurprised that he's now developing well at Lille.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
This thread illuminates the number of average players that use our name to get a move or a contract. I doubt we were ever interested in signing half of them.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
David Hirst
David Hirst

We badly needed a goalscorer

He was one of the best strikers around at the time

If we got him that would've meant no Eric though
Yeah Hirst was the first that came to mind. Hard to contemplate how things might have gone if we’d signed him that time.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah Hirst was the first that came to mind. Hard to contemplate how things might have gone if we’d signed him that time.
Most players mentioned would have changed the team at the time for the worst maybe, Hirst could have prevented the signing that changed the future and history of the club. Hard to be beaten

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Gareth Bale (2020)
Joshua King (2020)
Douglas Costa (2020)
Christian Eriksen (2020)
Kai Havertz (2020)
Antoine Griezmann (2019)
Sean Longstaff (2019)
Ryan Sessegnon (2019)
Jerome Boateng (2018)
Alvaro Morata (2017)
Eric Dier (2017)
Odion Ighalo (2016)
Otamendi (2015)

Bobade

The Longstaff rumour was one of the best. Some people on here seemed convinced that he was essential to the team and would have been the final piece of the puzzle to bring us back to title winning ways. 50mil for him.... dodged a bullet.

Also glad we did not get Dybala, didn't seem massively keen and I echo another poster who said he would likely have gone the same way as Pogba.

I was one of the fools who thought Bale might not be so bad on a short loan. Openly admit I had not seen him play much for a while - he has massively declined.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ron Vlaar and ezequiel garay

davidmichael

David Hirst as we got Cantona.

Ronaldinho as we got Ronaldo

Collymore as we got Cole

Shearer in hindsight

Recent ones,

Garay

Gaitan

Benatia

Renato Sanches

Arnautovic

Gundogan

Willian

red_de_pologne

Lewendowski

If saf had got him instead of rvp then probably he'd have banged in 200 Premier league goals for us by now and we would have won a few more trophies... but he's so good he would.probably have kept moyes in the managers job and I cant imagine much more soul destroying than moves having time to build a team of fellainis
You're glad we didn't sign one of the best strikers in the world because we would win trophies and that would mean keeping Moyes in the job longer.. ok.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Collymore
Anderton
Celio Silva
Vermaelen
Arnaoutovic
Alderweireld
Dier
Boateng
Gundogan