Players you're glad we didn't sign

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In 1998 we were very heavily linked with Marcelo
Salas, had that gone through Ole would have gone to Spurs.

In recent years

Moyes- William Carvalho

LVG- Vermaelan, Jordy Clasie, Strootman, Pedro, Debuchy (Wenger confirmed we wanted him)

Mourinho- Willian, Arnautovic, Boateng

Ole- Longstaff, King

say what you want about Moyes, but his targets were Bale, Kroos, Thiago, Fabregas & Baines. All would have been very good signings.

I think Perisic & Alderweireld would have been good signings under Jose to be honest.

LVG wanted Mane as first choice before Pedro (& eventually Martial)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m surprised so many are saying Milinkovic-Savic. He had a poor season a couple years back but I thought he bounced back last season as Lazio finished 4th.

I don’t watch Lazio very often but he’s always seems a good player to me. Maybe a poor mans Lampard. An old-fashioned goal scoring midfielder if you like.
I know. I've not watched him much but many serie A fans calls him one of the leagues best or the leagues best midfielder.

I remember it all changed bit particularly after a single match vs England when many people thought he was shit and no one here seemed to rate him much after that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Somehow I think if we had signed Shearer you wouldn't be saying that :lol:
People presume we'd have won "more" with Shearer. But as we won 5 out of 6 leagues, won a double or 2 and a treble in that period, there's every chance we wouldn't have.
I doubt many would swap to see how we may have gone with Shearer on board.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Zaha or Depay again.

Griezmann probably would have been a big let down too.
Surprised it took so far into the thread for Griezmann to come up.
For 100m he'd have been a disaster. You just know we'd have tried to play him out wide too.

Was the peak of our "sign big players and hope they do it on their own" period.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I can’t believe nobody else has mentioned Mathieu Debuchy. Wenger literally told the media he’d rejected a bid from United in Jan 2016.

Debuchy went on French tv as a pundit 2 years later & said he’s still annoyed about it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Can't believe no one has mentioned Hazard. Would have blown as hot and cold for us as he did for Chelsea.

The only possible good thing would have been the huge fee we would have got out of Real Madrid for him. Although, something tells me we wouldn't have got 75% of the money they paid to Chelsea for him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Can't believe no one has mentioned Hazard. Would have blown as hot and cold for us as he did for Chelsea.

The only possible good thing would have been the huge fee we would have got out of Real Madrid for him. Although, something tells me we wouldn't have got 75% of the money they paid to Chelsea for him.
Hazard would have been a phenomenon under Fergie.

Probably would be inconsistent under Moyes, then fell out with LVG & be sold.

RedDevilRoshi

Lewendowski

If saf had got him instead of rvp then probably he'd have banged in 200 Premier league goals for us by now and we would have won a few more trophies... but he's so good he would.probably have kept moyes in the managers job and I cant imagine much more soul destroying than moves having time to build a team of fellainis
WTF?

Cloud7

Benatia is another one.

I have vivid memories of Jim White tweeting this one was a done deal.
Whatever became of him? I remember he was called one of the best in the world, linked with us, Bayern signed him, and what happened after that?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
People presume we'd have won "more" with Shearer. But as we won 5 out of 6 leagues, won a double or 2 and a treble in that period, there's every chance we wouldn't have.
I doubt many would swap to see how we may have gone with Shearer on board.
If shearer had signed he'd have been top scorer for all 6 of the seasons you are referring to and would be one of the greatest United players of all time

I'm not saying we would have won more (we would have) but, had he signed, no one would have been disappointed we had signed him.

Cloud7

Hazard would have won a Balon Dor with a few years under Sir Alex

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If shearer had signed he'd have been top scorer for all 6 of the seasons you are referring to and would be one of the greatest United players of all time

I'm not saying we would have won more (we would have) but, had he signed, no one would have been disappointed we had signed him.
You never do know how things would have worked out.

Cole and Yorke wouldn't have destroyed European defenders in 98/99 and Solskjaer most likely wouldn't have been scoring the winner in the final. Those things we can be fairly sure of.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Hazard was superb a lot of the time for Chelsea.
He was a major miss.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Definitely Dybala. He didn't want to leave Juve, certainly didn't want to come here, and it would've been another Hollywood signing for a huge fee and massive wages who no doubt would've disrupted the team.

Also, more importantly, it wasn't someone we desperately needed anyway. It would've been an entirely gratuitous signing.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

If there’s one player out of all we have missed who I would have loved at United it would be Hazard. He was mostly phenomenal for Chelsea. His RM form isn’t going to change that.

sillwuka

Whatever became of him? I remember he was called one of the best in the world, linked with us, Bayern signed him, and what happened after that?
Bayern ended up signing him where he had a bit part role. Loaned to Juve where he had a first team role for a season or so.

Skip forward 4 years and he's now playing in Qatar at the age of 33.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Are you being serious? Hazard would've been a great buy.

Tallis

I was quite happy we didn’t sign Dybala. Not that I don’t think he is talented but like Griezman, he requires a system that suits him. Very unlikely it would have been a happy marriage and we would have another big money flop.

Varun1

Benteke, weren't we linked with him? I wanted us to sign him at the time. Shows how much I know!

Anyone remember Dodo (?), Brazillian LB we were heavily linked with a few years back. Wonder how he's doing.

How's Meunier doing at Dortmund?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sergio Ramos. Our fanbase can't handle Maguire's odd mistake. Can you imagine if we signed Ramos? He's the Spanish Phil Jones when it comes to being error prone. In fact, that may be an insult to Phil Jones...

Mindhunter

It has to be Bale. Each time his name was brought up, I feared that Woodward will take the "disneyland" approach and bring the prince here only for him to sulk, throw tantrums, feck off for golf, and generally stink up the place.

Thankfully, he hasn't done any of that for Spurs but he is still a spent force. Glad we learned our lesson with Sanchez.

roseguy64

If there’s one player out of all we have missed who I would have loved at United it would be Hazard. He was mostly phenomenal for Chelsea. His RM form isn’t going to change that.
Yeah Hazard was literally match winning for Chelsea.

Lebo

Lewendowski

If saf had got him instead of rvp then probably he'd have banged in 200 Premier league goals for us by now and we would have won a few more trophies... but he's so good he would.probably have kept moyes in the managers job and I cant imagine much more soul destroying than moves having time to build a team of fellainis
this is a rather convoluted yet somewhat true. We would be worse off now

Mic

Sancho because as a result we signed future Balón D'or winner Diallo.
Future Ballon D'or winner? If he even ever gets listed for it, it will be a massive achievement. Just watch the World's top 15 U21 and U19 national teams and suddenly you'll see dozens far ahead of him.

EngimaMK

Hazard would have been a magnificent signing, can't believe some have listed him in this thread.

youmeletsfly

Sancho
Rice
Longstaff
The british RW playing for Atletico now, the dogshit one.
Strootman
Snjeider
And any other British player we didn't sign in the last 10 years because most of them are utter garbage.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Wow, can someone compile a full list of the most relevant names mentioned? Mainly those who've been discussed or linked heavily with us at different times. Would be very cool to see.