Players you're glad we didn't sign

iHicksy

Hazard was superb a lot of the time for Chelsea.
He was a major miss.
Indeed. What a ridiculous thing to make out that Hazard wasn't anything but a roaring success for Chelsea. He was one of the best players in the premier league for his entire tenure here. Just because he doesn't have the elite mentality you need for Madrid seems a few people here want to re-write history.

Hazard during his time at Chelsea.
Oh yeah we sure dodged a bullet there.... Jesus wept. Guy would have been insane under Fergie.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Alderweireld
Dembele from Monaco
Kovacic or however you spell it
Why Alderweireld?. Do you mean whilst he's been playing for us? Or do you mean when he played for Southampton... I think he's been a solid signing for the price we got him for. Don't forget when we signed him we had clown's in Fazio and Chirches playing for us. A very shrewd signing and it's no coincidence with him in the team our position and form under Pochettino improved

Hester_manc

John Obi Mikel - actually we did sign him, but you know, what I mean.

Freddy Adu.

Michael Keane

Longstaff.

I can see, some of you mention Eriksen. I think, he would have been great at United.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Indeed. What a ridiculous thing to make out that Hazard wasn't anything but a roaring success for Chelsea. He was one of the best players in the premier league for his entire tenure here. Just because he doesn't have the elite mentality you need for Madrid seems a few people here want to re-write history.

Hazard during his time at Chelsea.
Oh yeah we sure dodged a bullet there.... Jesus wept. Guy would have been insane under Fergie.
He's probably the top example of the players we missed out on because we wouldn't grease the agent up enough.
When you see how we went totally the other way in the years after Fergie it does leave you with a what may have been scenario.

Chief123

We've been linked with many players over the years, some genuine and others just pure speculation. There have been many bullets dodged.

Thomas Vermaelen - Strongly linked with him at the time, i thought he was bang average and Smalling was a better overall defender.

Pepe - I know it's easy to say this now but for the money he was touted for i didn't want to go near him. His dribbling and finishing looked ok but it's the Uber Eats League, never worth £70 mil!

Were there any standouts for you or anybody that you didn't want us to sign due to personal preference?
Havertz

Chief123

Sean Longstaff - (£50m was quoted. My god!)
Timo Werner
Gabriel (he’s better than what arsenal had but still not top level)
Ake
Willian
Dier

Chief123

Am I the only one who wouldn't have taken Koulibaly for the fee that was touted?
That’s probably the reason why we didn’t take him!

I would have loved him at Utd but the price they wanted for a 29 year old was ridiculous. Same reason City sacked it off.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Probably Yoan Gourcuff. Was touted as the new Zidane for while and then faded into obscurity.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We were linked with Salah at the time when Chelsea signed him. If we’d managed to sign him then (2013 I think) then we wouldn’t have ended up signing him in 2017.

Why Alderweireld?. Do you mean whilst he's been playing for us? Or do you mean when he played for Southampton... I think he's been a solid signing for the price we got him for. Don't forget when we signed him we had clown's in Fazio and Chirches playing for us. A very shrewd signing and it's no coincidence with him in the team our position and form under Pochettino improved
clearly when it was potentially signing him on a free recently.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wesley Sneijder. He would never have lived up to the transfer thread on here. Though he is the size of muppet.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I mean when we were linked with him during Mourinhos time at United. Always felt TA was a bit overrated and vertongen was the better defender

eire-red

That's a hard list to put together, it's difficult to know how genuine the links with some players were.

Off the top of my head; Dier, Willian, Pepe, Jorginho, Longstaff from more recent times. An easier list would be players I'd wished we never signed!

sparx99

Benteke, weren't we linked with him? I wanted us to sign him at the time. Shows how much I know!

Anyone remember Dodo (?), Brazillian LB we were heavily linked with a few years back. Wonder how he's doing.

How's Meunier doing at Dortmund?
There is another one coming! Dodo is a 21yr old right back playing for Shakhtar which I’m fairly sure is where the LB played once upon a time.

Thinking of other players we’ve been linked to; Leandro Damiao springs to mind.

Robbie Boy

Rice. Reckon we've missed the boat with him and he's a banker to join Chelsea. Hand on heart one of the most overrated players of the PL era. I would be more than happy to watch Chelsea spend a fortune on him. Could be an ok CB one day but he's not in a million years a natural DM.

SAFMUTD

50M for Lognstaff would have looked pretty dumb right now, to be fair it would have looked as dumb in that time as well.

GueRed

He was a shit CB. I couldn't figure why SAF wanted him
We needed an extra body at centre-back at the time tbf. especially when you consider Pallister's dodgy back, Johnsen's jumper knees and David May injury prone.

Celio Silva wasnt even first choice. I think he was more of a punt signing alongside a another.

Marcel Desailly was first choice for Fergie he had discussions with his agent but the board wasnt going to break the wage ceiling for him.

The club were deep in talks with Markus Babel but that broke down when they couldn't come to an agreement over his wage demands.

We then made a late bid for Stephane Henchoz the Swiss defender at Hamburg but that was also unsuccessful, as he preferred to link up again with Roy Hodgson at Blackburn.

We eventually ended up with just Henning Berg from Blackburn.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We needed an extra body at centre-back at the time tbf. especially when you consider Pallister's dodgy back, Johnsen's jumper knees and David May injury prone.

Celio Silva wasnt even first choice. I think he was more of a punt signing alongside a another.

Marcel Desailly was first choice for Fergie he had discussions with his agent but the board wasnt going to break the wage ceiling for him.

The club were deep in talks with Markus Babel but that broke down when they couldn't come to an agreement over his wage demands.

We then made a late bid for Stephane Henchoz the Swiss defender at Hamburg but that was also unsuccessful, as he preferred to link up again with Roy Hodgson at Blackburn.

We eventually ended up with just Henning Berg from Blackburn.
Celio was shit though. I mean, current Phil Jones shit or even worse

GueRed

Celio was shit though. I mean, current Phil Jones shit or even worse
like i said he was 4th/5th choice down SAF's list

more of a punt.

sometimes they work out, more or less they dont

I bet you were one of those who muppeted out over celio when we in for him. Brazil cb international etc despite not watching a game of his :lol:

Infra-red

Sneijder. One season wonder who would have cost us a fortune and then spent half his time injured.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Steve Stone. Heavily touted as a Kanchelskis replacement. But we brought Beckham through instead.

David Hirst. Great goal scorer pre injury. But his long term absence meant we signed Cantona.

Stan Collymore. Great player when he was bothered, but we opted for Andy Cole instead. Nuff said.

Just three random ones that I think were pretty pivotal in the roots of our recent success.

More recently I’d say Jadon Sancho. For 108M he was massively overpriced with no guarantee of success. Would still like to see him here at a reasonable fee, but this might turn out to be a situation where we have gotten a better player (Diallo) for a fraction of the price.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
John Obi Mikel - actually we did sign him, but you know, what I mean.

Freddy Adu.

Michael Keane

Longstaff.

I can see, some of you mention Eriksen. I think, he would have been great at United.
Errr.....

Icemav

Every player the Caf were wetting themselves about signing who then went on to be meh. So a out 90% of them.

That aside I didnt want to sign Sancho and very happy we didnt cave to Dortmund. A soild win for us.

RedDevilzFox

Dybala - classic South American who'd have hated life in Manchester and would only be here for $$$.