Players you're glad we didn't sign

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sean Longstaff. We might not have signed Bruno if we'd spent 40m on him. Also he seems incredibly average.

EireRed_GS

- paying 50m for Longstaff (seriously Newcastle were having a laugh there. can you imagine we paid that!)

- Gareth Bale, Think this one speaks for itself. Not even half the player that left spurs

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Dybala, Vermaelen, Boateng, Milinkovic-Savic, Willian, Bale.

I was bummed about Perisic though. I think he'd have had a positive impact on the team if he came.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Can't believe someone said Ronaldinho. Probably the player i wish we signed the most. Im happy we didn't spend 50 mil on longstaff.

GuyfromAustria

WIlliam Carvalho and Miguel Veloso - both were linked to United around the late 2000s, especially 2008/2009. I remember watching Veloso and liking that he could play multiple positions. Who knows, maybe SAF would have turned him into a great squad player, but neither turned out
Good shouts, but Carvalho was later, his thread here was active in 2014 and 2015.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Kevin Strootman is a shout.

I remember us linked with Steven Defour for a while under Fergie. Only ever made it as a half decent player for Burnley. There’s a million examples from that period where we were desperate for a midfielder and I’d have literally taken anyone. Gourcuff of Lyon is someone I was desperate for and never really seemed to make it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dybala even though I really wanted him. Just isn’t the player he should have become and he would have struggled here

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Shearer. Obviously he'd have done well for us, but I can't stand the twat.
Twat indeed, but absolutely no doubt in my mind that we'd have won a European Cup or two with a prime Shearer, and would probably have 5/6 Premier leagues on the bounce too.
Yeah, I do regret that one didn't happen.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Patrick Kluivert - I was never a fan of him at Barca and then ended up at Newcastle for a time
Good shout, if we'd got him we would never have had yorkie!
Also: Areiel Ortega
Gaitan
Southall
Gascoigne
Fabregas
Aaron Ramsey

SeanyC

- paying 50m for Longstaff (seriously Newcastle were having a laugh there. can you imagine we paid that!)

- Gareth Bale, Think this one speaks for itself. Not even half the player that left spurs
Very good shout! 50mil for Longstaff...couldn’t believe what I was reading when I seen it, hands in face shaking moment for sure and Bale, Jaysus he is so fragile he would pull a muscle playing golf

KeanoMagicHat

Good shout, if we'd got him we would never have had yorkie!
Also: Areiel Ortega
Gaitan
Southall
Gascoigne
Fabregas
Aaron Ramsey
It depends when you're talking about, but when he was most linked to us, Fabregas clearly would have been a massive improvement on anything we had in Moyes's first season, then he was one of the main difference makers for Chelsea when they won the league, he would have been great to sign I think.

United58

Can't believe someone said Ronaldinho. Probably the player i wish we signed the most. Im happy we didn't spend 50 mil on longstaff.
Think the idea is that we wouldn't have signed Ronaldo if we'd got Ronaldinho (not that I would have complained!!!)

Think the idea is that we wouldn't have signed Ronaldo if we'd got Ronaldinho (not that I would have complained!!!)
that’s it. If we got Ronaldinho, we wouldn’t have got Ronaldo. Nothing about the player per se, but the implications of signing him.

automaticflare

I remember us linked with Steven Defour for a while under Fergie. Only ever made it as a half decent player for Burnley. There’s a million examples from that period where we were desperate for a midfielder and I’d have literally taken anyone. Gourcuff of Lyon is someone I was desperate for and never really seemed to make it.
Defouir broke both his legs in space of 3 years if I remember right though

manutddjw

This is commonly said and I for one don’t think it’s true. Scholes was playing behind Ruud to accommodate Veron and was vocal about not being happy about it despite him doing well there. Ronaldinho was to be signed not to replace Beckham to play on the right but to play behind Ruud and move Scholes back.

Ronaldo got signed because he ran us ragged and was clearly a special talent. Had he played like Lingard that day, yeah we might not of signed him, but with his performance that day we were forced to move because when we spoke to Sporting they told us others were interested. The 2 were not dependent on the other. We wanted Ronaldinho and bought Ronaldo solely off a friendly performance.

What is interesting is if we signed Ronaldinho, we probably don’t sign Rooney at least not when we did.

SAFMUTD

Nicolas Pepe, I remember some posters here totally devastated that we lost on him to Arsenal. Thank God it didn't happened.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Bale-Morata-Perisic
Rice-Gaitan-Longstaff
Baines-Ake-Vlaar- Debuchy
Pickford

NoPace

Agreed on Longstaff, but Bale scored 105 times in 251 games at Madrid and 24 in 48 (give or take one game) for Wales during those seasons, he'd have been a massive, massive upgrade on our production at RW, and people think of him as constantly hurt but 36 games a year for Madrid isn't terrible. Leaves about 20 for a backup to play.

Mata and Di Maria alone cost that much and neither solved our RW option.

Would have been a very, very good move for us, even if he wasn't the player he was at Spurs. I mean the 2016 Wales run was halfway through his time at Madrid and he was absolutely a top 10 player in the world then even if half the time you watched a Classico he had the worst touch on the field. Wing goals are priceless.

RkkMan

Agreed on Longstaff, but Bale scored 105 times in 251 games at Madrid and 24 in 48 (give or take one game) for Wales during those seasons, he'd have been a massive, massive upgrade on our production at RW, and people think of him as constantly hurt but 36 games a year for Madrid isn't terrible. Leaves about 20 for a backup to play.

Mata and Di Maria alone cost that much and neither solved our RW option.

Would have been a very, very good move for us, even if he wasn't the player he was at Spurs. I mean the 2016 Wales run was halfway through his time at Madrid and he was absolutely a top 10 player in the world then even if half the time you watched a Classico he had the worst touch on the field. Wing goals are priceless.
I think the issue is when Bale would have been an ideal signing. Anytime between 2015-2018 he`d have been a top signing for any price but in 2019 it would have been a straight 50/50 at best as he was getting injured a lot on top of his attitude issues and I`m gobsmacked there were people furious we didn`t buy him last year. He was ALREADY INJURED when Spurs loaned him and even when fit he`s been nothing more than a luxurious squad player at best he`s only looked good in the low tier cup games for Spurs which says a lot about how much he`s sharply declined as a player. On current form even Rashford who`s not a RW is miles better than him there

Bogga

Might've missed him being mentioned... So happy we didn't buy Tiemoue Bakayoko. What a garbage player

tayside red

Bale - finished
Ozil
Andy Carroll
Sergio Ramos - we're 2 or 3 years too late for him now
Grealish - we've already got a couple of prima donna's in Martial & Pogba

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It depends when you're talking about, but when he was most linked to us, Fabregas clearly would have been a massive improvement on anything we had in Moyes's first season, then he was one of the main difference makers for Chelsea when they won the league, he would have been great to sign I think.
Its just a personal dislike for the tosser rather than not thinking he would be good for the team, he's always come across as a massive twat for me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Surely you meant Bordeaux because Gourcuff was perpetually injured for Lyon.