Players you're glad we didn't sign

sillwuka

We've been linked with many players over the years, some genuine and others just pure speculation. There have been many bullets dodged.

Thomas Vermaelen - Strongly linked with him at the time, i thought he was bang average and Smalling was a better overall defender.

Pepe - I know it's easy to say this now but for the money he was touted for i didn't want to go near him. His dribbling and finishing looked ok but it's the Uber Eats League, never worth £70 mil!

Were there any standouts for you or anybody that you didn't want us to sign due to personal preference?

Dolf

Anderson Talisca - not the right mentality and not enough quality to begin with.
Eric Dier - Nothing special
Malcom - Playing for Zenit right now, says enough.
Belotti - Decent player but not worth the fee we were quoted.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Shearer. Obviously he'd have done well for us, but I can't stand the twat.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Eriksen and Dybala in 2019, not sure either were ever that close to actually happening but the club did good by pulling the plug on both before it got too far down the line

We'll never know for sure but of course many feel had we got Ronaldinho in 2003 we wouldn't of gone for Cristiano

led_scholes

Cicinho.
Kewell.
Kerlon.
Mikel (technically we did sign him).

And of course the one and only Prunier!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Eriksen and Dybala in 2019, not sure either were ever that close to actually happening but the club did good by pulling the plug on both before it got too far down the line

We'll never know for sure but of course many feel had we got Ronaldinho in 2003 we wouldn't of gone for Cristiano
Its not like Ronaldinho didnt have a fantastic career, but it was so short lived. I always wonder what effect SAF would have had on him in terms of career longevity.

GueRed

David Hirst

We badly needed a goalscorer

He was one of the best strikers around at the time

If we got him that would've meant no Eric though

OL29

Is it insane that i would take him now as a RW backup as we've now got Diallo and Pellistri?
He could definitely play a squad role, but the idea of him as our main winger under Mourinho was too much to take for me.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gaitan
Paulo Di Canio
Longstaff

GueRed

Its not like Ronaldinho didnt have a fantastic career, but it was so short lived. I always wonder what effect SAF would have had on him in terms of career longevity.
Ronaldinho's time at United would've been short but sweet IMO

imagine him playing off peak Ruud

Classical Mechanic

I think Shearer was the biggest missed opportunity in all the years I’ve been watching United. Twat or not he would have been incredible for us.

I‘d go for Dybala in recent transfers as it would have likely blocked Bruno coming in and was destined to be an epic failure. He’d have been on the disgruntled step with his buddy Pogba in no time.

MetoTTT

Ronaldinho's time at United would've been short but sweet IMO

imagine him playing off peak Ruud
Ronaldinho is my biggest regret not sign him at United. Maybe here, he could have lasted longer on top level (less partying environment than Barcelona)...or got depressed.:D

GueRed

He was a world class centre-forward in the mid 90's

He would've taken us onto another level in europe. Would've won more CL's trophies than the one in '99 IMO.

Kajus

20 posts in and you're the first to mention him. I agree.
Seemed fairly obvious to me, the first name to pop into my head when I saw the thread title. Was certain it was aimed at him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We've been linked with many players over the years, some genuine and others just pure speculation. There have been many bullets dodged.

Thomas Vermaelen - Strongly linked with him at the time, i thought he was bang average and Smalling was a better overall defender.

Pepe - I know it's easy to say this now but for the money he was touted for i didn't want to go near him. His dribbling and finishing looked ok but it's the Uber Eats League, never worth £70 mil!

Were there any standouts for you or anybody that you didn't want us to sign due to personal preference?
Perisic, Willian, Arnautovic, Alderweireld, Boateng.