Playing Matic, Fred and Lingard in midfield ...

FujiVice

I dont think I've seen a worse trio in the middle in the last 40 years. This is the standard. We're witnessing a special period. Rotten.

Snafu17

We've played a Mata-Fred-Pereira midfiled just a few weeks ago.

BlahRules

What trio? Matic refused to pass it to Fred and Lingard never made himself available for the ball or tried to drop to the halfway line to get the ball.

criticalanalysis

Any 'midfield' with Lingard in it is sh|te. The other two have their faults but Lingard doesn't play midfield, he plays and positions himself as a 2nd striker.

Any 2 man combination midfield in the Premier League is sucidal.

Bwuk

Lingard was hiding the whole game.

Doesn’t want the ball or to be involved.

Ludens the Red

Not going to lie, seeing this killed my spirit. Was quite optimistic a few days ago but once the Mctominay and Pogba news came in we were always gonna be lining up with a bad midfield, What you hope for though is the manager to not pick the worse performing player in the squad. But there you go.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Hopefully we will get some reinforcements in midfield. Matic and Lingard should leave.

buckooo1978

Fred was good

Matic was ok I felt relatively speaking - used the ball ok - would have loved to see him leave but with injuries he is here to Summer

Lingard is done - I'm all for keeping players who are homegrown as squad players but his run of poor form is really pathetic - he's done

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Fred was good

Matic was ok I felt relatively speaking - used the ball ok - would have loved to see him leave but with injuries he is here to Summer

Lingard is done - I'm all for keeping players who are homegrown as squad players but his run of poor form is really pathetic - he's done
Looking at Lingard I think he's worse now that ever before. He's regressed and that's taking into consideration that he's never been more than decent (ish)

Red_toad

I dont think I've seen a worse trio in the middle in the last 40 years. This is the standard. We're witnessing a special period. Rotten.
Lack of other options. No Pogba nor McTommy, not really the game for throwing in 2 youngsters. Having to rotate players to keep them fresh.

Matic looked half arse, Jesse looked terrified of the ball. Both should be gone in the summer.

Fred was good.

Matic was always behind the speed of play and when he got the ball he needed 3 touches to turn and run or look up, when he needed to be passing first time.

Lingard isn't worth the keyboard strokes.

Josep Dowling

Not purchasing a CM destroyed the season before it even started. It’s clear the club has no ambition. If they did they would go and buy one this month. There are so many players that are better than are current crop,’ no value in the market’ is a load of crap. There is a good list of players going out of contract that we simply ignore because they aren’t British.

Walters_19_MuFc

Apart from swapping Pereira for Lingard, what else could we have done? Its clear what we need. Hopefully Ole sees that, too.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Let Fellaini go. Let Herrera go. Kept Pogba against his wishes. No new CM signings.

Getting what we deserve. I'd say we've got clowns running this club but that would be an insult to clowns. Woodward and co need to feck off to the moon and then keep fecking off some more.

The reason we need a buyout because it's the only way we get rid of the twat. Glazers won't sack him.

buckooo1978

Looking at Lingard I think he's worse now that ever before. He's regressed and that's taking into consideration that he's never been more than decent (ish)
was recently watching highlights of our Europa League campaign and he looked a much better player - playing in a better side with leaders around him

he's always been limited but his confidence is totally gone

not sure what the personal problems he has are and how much they are effecting him but he isn't a Premier League player - really should be moved on but can we afford to? if we prioritised we'd shift Matic/Mata/Pogba/Jones/one or two others and we don't seem to be able to sign more than 3 players at a time

SteveW

We need signings. Fred, Scott, Pogba is a fine midfield but we've nobody else.

R'hllor

Who instead of Matic? Dunno, place a brick, there already better. Get Garner or someone from under ranks, young hungry, no fear and even if things are to hot for them, at least they are able to run, Matic cant pass without touching a ball 20 times, cant run, cant track his runners i mean stop playing dumb and act like we are trying to replace 6/10 player when he cant pass 2.

el3mel

Matic and Fred were the only 2 decent players we had today. Lingard was the atrocious one.

So of course we need more bodies in midfield now with Pogba and Scott out for a month or 2.

RuudTom83

It’s a recurring problem, but the entire team failed tonight...you can point fingers all over the place.

grim :(

Ace of Spades

We need signings. Fred, Scott, Pogba is a fine midfield but we've nobody else.
Yeah, and two out of them are injured. We are very thin, and Fred has played all the games full 90 mins. I would rest him for the FA Cup game.

SteveW

Yeah, and two out of them are injured. We are very thin, and Fred has played all the games full 90 mins. I would rest him for the FA Cup game.
Not getting one in the summer was insane. Doing it again in January is unthinkable. We have a gaping hole that everyone can see. We're a big rich club. Time to act like one.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Fred was trying and Matic I didn't think was awful. They just don't work as a pair. We had no choice with the personel available.

Lingard...I think he gets a lot of unfair stick, but he really looks done. He is offering so little you just can't justify picking him ahead of anyone. It was weird he started and criminal he wasn't taken off at the latest at half time. At this point surely you take him out of the firing line and don't put him back until/unless he starts showing something in training that forces you to.

Captain16Keano

I thought matic was ok last night. He his touch was better than usaul, and considering his lack of pace he did well most of the time under the high press. May not of shown in the space as much as you would like but i dont think he had the pace to get there in time a lot of the time. First decent game I've seen from him in a while, just in time for transfer window...sadly probably not a coincidence

flappyjay

We basically played a 4 2 4 because lingard absolutely refused to be seen in the midfield area. I would hide too if I was as crap as him.

Samrat Mazumdar

Fred was woeful yesterday, Lingard was upto his standards, those names on the team sheet immediately inspire confidence in the opposition players. Why not try out Garner there is beyond me

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Matic and Fred are never players who are going to be creative and create things. The onus falls on the attacking midfielder. But if the attacking midfielder is Jesse fecking Lingard, is it really a surprise that we are shit? In fact, Fred and Matic were creating more than Lingard was.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Never been a fan of Lingard but yesterday was a new level of uselessness. Hard to believe that he is a professional footballer.

Matic did ok for most parts but he and Maguire move around a bit like the Ents from LotR.

I am generally speaking a fan of Fred but he also was poor yesterday.

We really should have cashed in on Pogba and brought in 2 or 3 good midfielders.

norm87cro

I'm really no fan of any of them but is it really thier fault McTominay is injured and Pogba's jumping ship?

MiracleInMadrid

I also think that Matic, along with Fred, actually tried to keep the tempo up and move the play forward. I can't recall seeing Matic dribble past the opponent the number of times he did yesterday. They were limited by a complete lack of structure, urgency and will of almost the rest of the team. Rashford looked exhausted after 20 minutes, Martial and James tried occasionally, Lingard was just bad. Our entire back four and keeper looked completely drained of confidence and made mistake after mistake.

I think many of our players look worse and more clueless than they actually are. The lack of tactical structure and cohesion is making many of our players worse than they are.