Playing out from the back

Foxbatt

I think this is where some people( not necessarily here) have no idea about passing from the back. I include some coaches too in this. What is the purpose of football? It is to get the ball in the opposing net. Not to get the keeper to pass to the CBs or the FBs. But we get Degea to pass to Maguire or Lindelof and then get them to pass to Pogba.
By getting Maguire and Lindelof in the box, we are eliminating two players from the equation.
I am sure that we do not practice passing out from the back in any real fashion. This is why we play in this stupid way. If the players think ahead and DeGea knows where to pass and when to kick and for the players to know which space to move we would not have this issue. We should practice and also know when to kick long and which direction and which players need to try and contest the ball in the air and which players to contest for the second ball.
I really wonder what our coaches do.
Yes it is pointless to blame everything on Ole but the buck stops there as he hires and fires them and decide on the strategy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Let's compare back 4's when it comes exclusively to passing and technique.
Lamptey >>>>> AWB
Dunk > Maguire
Webster > Lindelöf
White > Bailly
March = Shaw

Oh and De Gea is the last keeper in the entire league you want passing out from the back. He's seriously ATROCIOUS at it, always makes the wrong decision.

We simply keep buying below par defenders when it comes to passing, technique and vision. They will get slaughtered if they try. It also requires good positional coaching and deeply ingrained passing patterns to work, something Ole doesn't believe in, let alone is able to implement.
That's objectively just wrong isn't it though. I'm not a fan of Lindelof but Webster is very average, and Shaw's touch and passing are his best attributes by miles so...

Red Royal

Think it is just fashionable. Watching Arsenal last night it looked like they would concede at every goal kick, and Arteta has better ball players then us. Unless/until we get better ball playing defenders we should just go long and battle for it in midfield.

Tiber

I'm not sure a team can consistently fight for major titles and not play from the back. If you want MU to be forever in the fight for 4th and never challenger in the CL, than by all means let's hoof it.
Not totally convinced this is the main reason we have struggled in recent years

Foxbatt

Why do our players try to head the ball high up every time they see a ball in the air? I don't see them trying to control it even if there is opposition nearby or try to head it to a team mate. I see them try to head it as high up as they can. Rashford wouldn't even bother going for a 50/50 header.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It's not and we have not been fighting for major titles. My point is Liverpool, Man City, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, and Bayern Munich, the teams that fight for major titles each year, all play out from the back more often than not.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not the sole reason, and it's not the main reason

However if we are gonna keep on talking about getting back to the elite table, then all aspects of our play on the pitch have to be elite. Including what our defenders can do on and with the ball.

TheGodsInRed

Brighton are so much quicker playing the ball through the back, they take 1-2 touches each, we take 4-5. It’s no wonder we are easy to press.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Brighton are so much quicker playing the ball through the back, they take 1-2 touches each, we take 4-5. It’s no wonder we are easy to press.
CBs and GK casually passing it between each other, waiting for options to open while everyone is just standing and waiting for something to happen and Brighton have long since covered the passing angles.

Either play to target man with someone to pick up second balls, or put it out wide with CMs splitting for support. Or if you have to pass it out along the ground, do it at a much faster tempo before the press comes in. We're simply giving possession away in dangerous areas every single time. This is Brighton's second team with a basic high press, Ole needs to do better.