Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

Roger

I finished Detroit: Become Human this weekend, it was actually very good. It's certainly Quantic Dream's best one yet for me. The choices and outcomes felt pretty convincing most of the time. And I really enjoyed the main characters. Better than the reviews in my opinion.
I just finished it today. Very good game and one Ill probably revisit as I ended up nuking Detroit. Ive also got Hard Rain. I haven't completed that and theres a pretty bad glitch that was never fixed. Its when you start the game. It won't load properly but there is work around. it was bundled with Beyond Two Souls from the Playstation store with a really good discount.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Anyone know if, once you've formatted it and started using it as an extended storage device on your PS4, you can store other things on an external HDD?

I got a 6TB Expansion Drive but it'd be nice to store some music and F1 races amongst other things on it but it's currently plugged into my PS4 and formatted for that.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Anyone know if, once you've formatted it and started using it as an extended storage device on your PS4, you can store other things on an external HDD?

I got a 6TB Expansion Drive but it'd be nice to store some music and F1 races amongst other things on it but it's currently plugged into my PS4 and formatted for that.
Pretty sure you can't. If you disconnect from the PS4 and hook it up to a PC it'll ask you to reformat it I think.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Keep the 6TF and buy a smaller drive for your PS4. I have 2TF I think and I've found it more than adequate.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Days Gone. Reckon it will be worth it or am I just really desperate for a new game?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Days Gone. Reckon it will be worth it or am I just really desperate for a new game?
Early previews are saying it looks decent but it's all been done before.

Still, I wouldn't mind that if it's fun. The problem is that after games like BOTW, TW3, H:ZD, and RDR2, that the standard for open-world games is so high that decent doesn't really cut it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Early previews are saying it looks decent but it's all been done before.

Still, I wouldn't mind that if it's fun. The problem is that after games like BOTW, TW3, H:ZD, and RDR2, that the standard for open-world games is so high that decent doesn't really cut it.
I haven't played anything since RDR2, anything worthwhile that isn't TW3, HZD ?

AllezLesDiables

A bit late but Path of Exile was ported to PS4.

For those of you not familiar think Diablo 2 but with loads more mechanics and a new season (mechanic) every three months

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.

Ray tracing’s immediate benefits are largely visual. Because it mimics the way light bounces from object to object in a scene, reflective surfaces and refractions through glass or liquid can be rendered much more accurately, even in real-time, leading to heightened realism. According to Cerny, the applications go beyond graphic implications. “If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” he says. “It's all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”
More in the link.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
@Redlambs whats your take? Also RIP Weaste....
I ain't saying shit this time after the bollocking I got last time :lol:

TBF I haven't really asked too much, but I do know VR is definitely still a strong part of it (after all the flip-flopping) and some of the sdk points to them pushing for wireless and more dedication to the power of the system which should be cool. I love the "faster than PC" part they throw in everytime too :lol:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I ain't saying shit this time after the bollocking I got last time :lol:

TBF I haven't really asked too much, but I do know VR is definitely still a strong part of it (after all the flip-flopping) and some of the sdk points to them pushing for wireless and more dedication to the power of the system which should be cool. I love the "faster than PC" part they throw in everytime too :lol:
That's a bit of an endorsement! Wasn't expecting that tbf :lol:

It was mainly the mobile cpu that pissed you of last go around wasn't it?

On another note, the spiderman dlc any good RedCafe?

Whiteside1985

That's a bit of an endorsement! Wasn't expecting that tbf :lol:

It was mainly the mobile cpu that pissed you of last go around wasn't it?

On another note, the spiderman dlc any good RedCafe?
Although it got a few 'meh' reviews, I really liked the Spiderman DLC.
Ramps up the difficulty a little bit from the main game (especially the 'bases').

It's essentially more of the same, but when the game is that good, I reckon that is a good thing.

Ainu

Finally finished Persona 5, bloody hell that was long. Far too long. It just doesn't know when to end. I enjoyed it for what it was but christ am I glad that's over. I don't see why it's so highly rated. I mean, I see why people like it and I liked parts of it well enough, but the universal, unanimous acclaim puzzles me a bit. My main issue was the dialogue that repeats itself ad nauseam, as if we are too stupid to understand it the first time, or the second time, or the third time, or even the tenth time. Let's just repeat it a couple more times just to be sure.

Cool combat system though, playing with weaknesses, criticals and baton passes to find the most sp-efficient way to destroy mobs never got old.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Finally finished Persona 5, bloody hell that was long. Far too long. It just doesn't know when to end. I enjoyed it for what it was but christ am I glad that's over. I don't see why it's so highly rated. I mean, I see why people like it and I liked parts of it well enough, but the universal, unanimous acclaim puzzles me a bit. My main issue was the dialogue that repeats itself ad nauseam, as if we are too stupid to understand it the first time, or the second time, or the third time, or even the tenth time. Let's just repeat it a couple more times just to be sure.

Cool combat system though, playing with weaknesses, criticals and baton passes to find the most sp-efficient way to destroy mobs never got old.
I had the same with Persona 4. Still the best game I played on PS Vita but it dragged on for way too long and at one point you get tired with it.

Bosws87

Recently finally got round to purchasing a 4k tv with HDR after having a ps4 pro since release.

Slowly working through all the games i've finished earlier to appreciate them in 4k, currently working through God Of War again possible the 2nd/3rd best game of this generation what a visual feast it is at full resolution!

Recently worked through playing all the Dark Souls series from beginning to end and finishing Sekiro + Bloodborne on the side, easily the best games i've played in years nothing comes close.

Ordered Detroit: Become Human off eBay for £18 for my next game to playthrough in 4k, also bought Day's Gone but put that on hold for the moment as God of War is just a better game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Recently finally got round to purchasing a 4k tv with HDR after having a ps4 pro since release.

Slowly working through all the games i've finished earlier to appreciate them in 4k, currently working through God Of War again possible the 2nd/3rd best game of this generation what a visual feast it is at full resolution!

Recently worked through playing all the Dark Souls series from beginning to end and finishing Sekiro + Bloodborne on the side, easily the best games i've played in years nothing comes close.

Ordered Detroit: Become Human off eBay for £18 for my next game to playthrough in 4k, also bought Day's Gone but put that on hold for the moment as God of War is just a better game.
I was sort of underwhelmed by God of War, because of all the 10/10's. Still a very good game though, mind. Curious though, what's your top 5 from the PS4 line up?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I was sort of underwhelmed by God of War, because of all the 10/10's. Still a very good game though, mind. Curious though, what's your top 5 from the PS4 line up?
I'd go

5. Uncharted 4
4. Red Dead 2
3. Horizon
2. Persona 5
1. God of War

I played Witcher 3 on PC in case anyone berates me for excluding it!

Bosws87

Hard one that, i was very disappointed with Red Dead Redemption not sure if i'm just tired of the open world formula or that the game just takes too long, one of the few games i genuinely thought should of ended about 5 hours before it ends, just got tiresome.

Rough quick list.

Dark Souls 1/3 & Bloodborne #1 - Love this series
Last of Us (Technically PS3 release) #2 What a masterpiece this game was first time through even better with 60fps
Nier Automata/Sekiro #3 love any game with a great combat system and a decent amount of difficulty
God Of War #4 Visually stunning and the combat is so satisfying i could recall that axe and never get bored
Shadow of The Colossus #5 What a game no words needed everyone needs to have at least given this a chance

Bonus shout for the Witcher 3 went back to that recently great game could do with a slightly better combat system, but im comparing it to the souls series which is the top of RPG combat.

Maybe i'm just getting older as my list is full of games which aren't even new PS4 releases!

Shark

@NotShark
Hard one that, i was very disappointed with Red Dead Redemption not sure if i'm just tired of the open world formula or that the game just takes too long, one of the few games i genuinely thought should of ended about 5 hours before it ends, just got tiresome.

Rough quick list.

Last of Us (Technically PS3 release) #2 What a masterpiece this game was first time through even better with 60fps
Nier Automata/Sekiro #3 love any game with a great combat system and a decent amount of difficulty
God Of War #4 Visually stunning and the combat is so satisfying i could recall that axe and never get bored
Shadow of The Colossus #5 What a game no words needed everyone needs to have at least given this a chance

Bonus shout for the Witcher 3 went back to that recently great game could do with a slightly better combat system, but im comparing it to the souls series which is the top of RPG combat.

Maybe i'm just getting older as my list is full of games which aren't even new PS4 releases!
RDR2 definitely dragged on for longer than it needed to. Chapter 5(I think) was downright ridiculous and should have been cut.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'd go

5. Uncharted 4
4. Red Dead 2
3. Horizon
2. Persona 5
1. God of War

I played Witcher 3 on PC in case anyone berates me for excluding it!
Before reading your last sentence I was actually going to berate you :lol: I loved all of those games except Red Ded 2, I simply cannot really get into Rockstar games somehow. Ended up only palying it for a few hours. Same with all the GTA games. I can see why they're amazing, but they just bore me somehow..

Rough quick list.

I agree the souls series are amazing. I wish I could memory wipe myself and replay them. I'll have to try Nier automata I suppose, everyone loves it.

Obviously I just wanted an excuse to post my own list though, soooo

1. The Witcher 3 (probably my favorite game of all time)
2. Bloodborne
3. Monster Hunter World
4. Horizon
5. God of War

I think...

Bosws87

Did love the witcher but i played it on PC at 60fps, i'm very much a huge advocate of 60fps it makes every game feel better.

Was strictly a PC Gamer for years but these days i much prefer sitting on the couch in front of my TV.

Not a fan of multiplayer games, but i think that's more to do with getting my arse handed to me by the youngsters these days it wasn't like that 10 years ago i was the one dishing out the punishment!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Did love the witcher but i played it on PC at 60fps, i'm very much a huge advocate of 60fps it makes every game feel better.

Was strictly a PC Gamer for years but these days i much prefer sitting on the couch in front of my TV.

Not a fan of multiplayer games, but i think that's more to do with getting my arse handed to me by the youngsters these days it wasn't like that 10 years ago i was the one dishing out the punishment!
I'm still quite good at Street Fighter and Soul Calibur at my (for a gamer) old age. Especially love the hatemail you sometimes get from these kids.

Anyone who's really good completely destroys me though.

mitChley

60 minimum for me, I accidentally locked my monitor when playing BF5 to 60 instead of it being 97-100 and it felt garbage, I can't imagine what it feels like to play even lower. I guess it depends what people are used to be once you've played with high FPS then I think it's really difficult to go back to low.

Ainu

I've finally started playing Nioh, a game that had been on my list for a while now. I tried playing it like a Soulsborne game but struggled a bit initially, particularly with my over-reliance on dodge instead of block. If I get caught in a combo it seems impossible to dodge out of it, while blocking mid-combo does seem like a viable strategy. I'm slowly getting better at it. Still in the first real area though so I haven't even had a proper boss fight yet.

I'm a little surprised at how fun it is though. I expected something close to a Soulsborne game but the actual combat might be even more enjoyable. Ki Pulsing to different stances to keep the punishment going is brilliant.

Bosws87

I've finally started playing Nioh, a game that had been on my list for a while now. I tried playing it like a Soulsborne game but struggled a bit initially, particularly with my over-reliance on dodge instead of block. If I get caught in a combo it seems impossible to dodge out of it, while blocking mid-combo does seem like a viable strategy. I'm slowly getting better at it. Still in the first real area though so I haven't even had a proper boss fight yet.

I'm a little surprised at how fun it is though. I expected something close to a Soulsborne game but the actual combat might be even more enjoyable. Ki Pulsing to different stances to keep the punishment going is brilliant.
If you haven't already Sekiro is the game to move on to after combat is excellent :)

Ainu

If you haven't already Sekiro is the game to move on to after combat is excellent :)
It would be the next logical step but I'm limiting myself to games already in my library before I buy any new ones, at least until I finish a couple of them. My backlog was getting completely out of hand!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It would be the next logical step but I'm limiting myself to games already in my library before I buy any new ones, at least until I finish a couple of them. My backlog was getting completely out of hand!
Mine too :lol: adulting sucks, having to work and do adult stuff. Ugh

b82REZ

My girlfriend has just bought me a 2nd hand PSVR, without a camera. I can't seem to get it to connect to my PS4, is that because I don't have the camera?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
My girlfriend has just bought me a 2nd hand PSVR, without a camera. I can't seem to get it to connect to my PS4, is that because I don't have the camera?
Huh? You need a camera, you already seem to know that ;)

They aren't that pricey though, but look first as trash like game have hiked prices. Should be around £30-40.