Gaming PlayStation 5

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Cheers @Massive Spanner

Not cheap then.. 500gb doesn't get you far on the current consoles nevermind next gen games

How soon are they expecting us to stream????

Ainu

And both will be pretty much the same price. If you want expandable storage on next gen consoles it will cost a bomb.
Using conventional logic, proprietary solutions are usually significantly more expensive than standard solutions. Not all available NVMe SSD's have the same cost per GB, so in theory you could opt for the cheapest available.

Bojan11

Using conventional logic, proprietary solutions are usually significantly more expensive than standard solutions. Not all available NVMe SSD's have the same cost per GB, so in theory you could opt for the cheapest available.
And how do we know what price MS have? They aren’t stupid and probably got a good deal from Seagate. They been more consumer friendly in the last few years, so I expect them to price it at a sensible price.

Ainu

And how do we know what price MS have? They aren’t stupid and probably got a good deal from Seagate. They been more consumer friendly in the last few years, so I expect them to price it at a sensible price.
We'll have to wait and see, but I'd still expect a higher price per GB than the average NVMe price per GB for off-the-shelf SSD's. On the other hand, we don't actually know if these cards will offer the same speed as the built-in storage, so perhaps it's slower but cheaper.

Bojan11

Listen again. Cerny was only talking about Top 100 PS4 titles and he said "almost all of them will be playable at launch." In other words, not even all top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch
So was anyone paying attention then?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Does this much bollocks need to be said about sound?

Hellblade showed they can achieve more or less the pinnacle of sound in a game with PS4/Xbox tech.

Castia

This dude has been rambling on, jesus did Sony get this wrong or what.

I feel this tech rundown should have been done after the actual reveal, it would be much more interesting analysing something we could actually see.

You know show an example of the SSD like Microsoft have then go into detail, this has been an awful presentation.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
50 mins in and he's talking about a lot of stuff I don't even understand or care about.

Can I use my airpods as a mic & how much will it cost? that's all I really care about at this point.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I can't listen to that chap for longer than a minute so I'd really appreciate if somebody does a demonstration in here with bullet points etc. :)

Otherwise I could watch it later tonight if I can't sleep.

Drifter

American
Must admit ,it is very geeky at the moment. Finished now and said absolutely nothing. Nothing that made sense anyway.

Bojan11

This dude has been rambling on, jesus did Sony get this wrong or what.

I feel this tech rundown should have been done after the actual reveal, it would be much more interesting analysing something we could actually see.

You know show an example of the SSD like Microsoft have then go into detail, this has been an awful presentation.
I am guessing this was supposed to be a GDC conference.

Donut

Jesus, at least show one new game or something after 50 minutes of pure boredom.

Bojan11

I can't listen to that chap for longer than a minute so I'd really appreciate if somebody does a demonstration in here with bullet points etc. :)

Otherwise I could watch it later tonight if I can't sleep.
Xbox has powerful GPU and CPU. PS5 has faster SSD so loading times should be faster.

PS4 BC isn’t 100 percent at launch, so don’t go getting rid of your PS4 consoles at launch.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I hope Sony commission discounts for having to watch that shite. :boring:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They might as well tell you how many horsepower these consoles have, the average person would probably understand that better than the other specs.

All these numbers are just food for the dick measuring fanboys.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It was always fanciful to expect backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3 so no surprise that isn't happening. Backwards compatibility with "almost all" PS4 games at launch was something that was talked about weeks ago, but is a strange one. Hopefully they sort that out.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Jesus, at least show one new game or something after 50 minutes of pure boredom.
This was never going to be that conference. As soon as it was revealed that Mark Cerny was doing the talk, it was always going to be this. I think it was originally going to be a GDC talk, so it makes sense.

Ainu

I don't think either side will be particularly uncomfortable until they have to start talking about price. That's the big one and both sides know it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I get the feeling most people don't understand this wasn't a reveal it was essentially their gdc talk that got cancelled.

All terraflops alone count for nothing... the consoles will live and die based on games like last time. Majority of people won't be able to even see any graphical differences just like ps4 and xb1.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No massive surprises there. Would have been nice to have PS3 BC but that was a pipe dream with Sony's focus on making it affordable. Expected Xbox to be more powerful but the PS5 speed is great.

AaronRedDevil

No massive surprises there. Would have been nice to have PS3 BC but that was a pipe dream with Sony's focus on making it affordable. Expected Xbox to be more powerful but the PS5 speed is great.
Even ps 1 or 2 wouldn't have been much of an ask. Sad about that.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Will they?

I don't think people quite get the technical side. 12>10 tells nothing of the actual story. Especially if one machine is possibly cheaper and more capable of reaching the top end.
Can you summarise what Cerny said because I listened and didn’t have a clue!

Are you personally happy with what they’re doing or is it just more of the same from the consoles that you’ve been critical of in the past?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's only more powerful on paper.

Floppies are useless if you can't acces them, it's a terrible way to judge a machines power I said that over and over way back when the first mentions came up before last gen. One day you people will listen to me :lol:

Bojan11

Expect Xbox to be £550 and PS5 to be £450. That SSD on the PS5 isn’t going to be cheap and I would be very surprised if it’s in the £350 mark like PS4 was.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Can you summarise what Cerny said because I listened and didn’t have a clue!

Are you personally happy with what they’re doing or is it just more of the same from the consoles that you’ve been critical of in the past?
On the hand hand it's the same old shit I've been critical of, yes. Basically watered down PCs.

On the other, they've addressed bottlenecks consoles are traditionally hit by, so from a developer pov it's pretty exciting to work with. I might get the sdk and have a look actually.

Overall I don't really care for the hardware these days, it's boring. However though the XBX has brute force, the PS5 has a much better architecture. In laymans terms, they will pretty much be the same performance wise though the PS5 will likely be slicker overall.