Gaming PlayStation 5

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It wasn't massive, but it was still pretty big. Go back and play GTA 5 on the ps3, Then play the PS4 version and there's a highly significant jump in everything. Also look at games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, TW3, RDR2. None of those games would have been possible on a PS3.
I guess I mean it isn't massive when compared to the other two leaps.

hobbers

The PS3 started off around £500, didn't it? 10-12 years on, I'd be surprised if the PS5 did too.
Think it was £425 at launch, and the price disparity with the 360 really bit into early sales.

Then with the current gen, the PS4 was £350 at launch and the Xbox One was £420 (i think?). And the PS4 blew it away in sales.

Can't see either of them ever trying to market a console much above £500/$600. Obviously they're marketed as living room multimedia hubs these days but the shift to PC gaming would be massive if the consoles started outpricing mid-range gaming PC builds.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why not get Google Stadia instead? I think that will change the game for me.
PlayStation Now will improve to be on par imo. Keep an eye on both, and MS offering, if that's the direction you intend to go in...

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd love VR to take off properly. Still waiting for now as it's not quite there.

The SSD claim is laughable

Games need to be 60fps standard or it's still living 20 years behind
Hardly any 1080p console games even now run at 60fps. Most games that run at 720 get 60 fps, but most 1080's still run at 30 (take GoW as an example).

The leap between PS1 and PS2 was gigantic... similarly the leap between PS2 and PS3 was pretty huge.

The leap between PS3 and PS4 however wasn't massive... and you can still go back and play a lot of PS3 games and you'll forget you're even playing an old gen game.

So I do wonder how big the jump between PS4 and PS5 will be.
Visually it will be smaller, its like the difference between Standard definition to2k, then 2k to 4k and finally 4k to 8k. The PS5's first game will I'd imagine look like a minor update on the latest ps4 games. Couple of years down the line the gap will be vast.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Best part of a new console is all the terribly photoshopped pictures of what it's going to look like. Round, transparent, weird alien like controllers, etc... and then it comes out and it's a box.
The OP of the PS4 thread in 2010:

apparently. Probably isn't but some sort of news regarding next gen consoles must be coming in the not too distant future, surely?
:lol:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
PlayStation Now will improve to be on par imo. Keep an eye on both, and MS offering, if that's the direction you intend to go in...
Nah, Google Stadia would be perfect for me as I don't have much time to play either way.

It would also mainly be for sport and racing games anyway, because controllers suck for most types of games.

afrocentricity

Nah, Google Stadia would be perfect for me as I don't have much time to play either way.

It would also mainly be for sport and racing games anyway, because controllers suck for most types of games.
I'm talking about their streaming services not the boxes, but go for what suits you definitely.

This is an nVidia demo of ray tracing, so it's not strictly related to what AMD are capable of. But it does give you an idea or the technology.

Well worth the watch, even if you don't think you care about the topic

EDIT:
And this is Minecraft
Look at Minecraft though! My son would lose his mind if he saw that...

Bojan11

I wouldn’t recommend playing racing games on Stadia. The input lag probably will be crazy. It also remains to be seen how many big developers will support it. Ubisoft are the only ones announced.

MS are doing it the best way they offering game pass which you can download the games to console and play. They also doing their own steaming games, but I rather go for the download option.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I wouldn’t recommend playing racing games on Stadia. The input lag probably will be crazy. It also remains to be seen how many big developers will support it. Ubisoft are the only ones announced.

MS are doing it the best way they offering game pass which you can download the games to console and play. They also doing their own steaming games, but I rather go for the download option.
Yeah, but wouldn't you still have to buy the console this way? I like that with Google Stadia it's just subscription based.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, but wouldn't you still have to buy the console this way? I like that with Google Stadia it's just subscription based.
It's a do what's best for you kinda situation.

Streaming is generally a lower-quality experience (input delay, artifacting, bandwidth concerns), but doesn't always require expensive discreet hardware user-side.

Downloading & playing is almost always a higher-quality experience, but you need a system locally to play such things.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think I get the idea of the SSD Claim, as my friend pointed out. Probably just clever marketing.
The SSD is better than anything on the market right now, until one is released next month, which then beats this claim.... And once released in 18months, SSDs will be even better.

As for the ray tracing they have mentioned. I watched a digital foundry video yesterday where now, RTX can be done through software, so no real need for the new graphics cards.
So my 1080ti will be able to use ray tracing, but the performance of doing it this way is absolutely pants right now, so try cramming that into a console and it'll definitely be stuck at 30fps yet again.

I made the switch to pc just over a year ago, and honestly, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Jacob

Think this is where my inner kid will have to stop. Probably won't be getting the PS5.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
“It’ll support 8k”

I’ll be impressed if it can run 4K at 60fps on all games cause at the minute RTX2080 Ti can’t even do that.

Adam-Utd

Think this is where my inner kid will have to stop. Probably won't be getting the PS5.
Why? because you want to seem more grown up? I don't understand things like this. If you enjoy it why stop yourself, who cares?

afrocentricity

My inner kid is chomping at the bit, so are my actual kids...

Jacob

Why? because you want to seem more grown up? I don't understand things like this. If you enjoy it why stop yourself, who cares?
Couldn't care less what others think. I just think I can make better use of my time.

Adam-Utd

Couldn't care less what others think. I just think I can make better use of my time.
Fair enough then, if you don't enjoy it anymore I can see it as being time wasted.

Jacob

Fair enough then, if you don't enjoy it anymore I can see it as being time wasted.
To be honest, I still find it enjoying (depending on the game of course). It's just that games I previously binged on have turned terrible (e.g. FIFA). The other games are completed in two days more or less. Another issue is that the people I typically gamed with are less available these days, which made me play less.

afrocentricity

My gaming time is the next persons TV time, or reading time.... I alternate between them anyway. Whatever anyone chooses to do in their downtime is up to them. Don't feel guilty about it...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Is this legit? Sorry for posting, if it's not.
Totally. Sony are well known for their use of Windows Movie Maker graphics, Arial text font and 4am Judge Jules mixtape music.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nah, no worries at all @Ainu. Excitement got the better of me. It was my moment to be famous...

I should just leave the techy things, to the tech savvy people tbf :lol:

A fecking scouse supporter sent it to me. Should have known trusting that lot.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Sorry Ish, only meant it as a jest. Apologies for the offense.
No worries Mr P, sorry for my overreaction a tad. :(. It was my moment to shine (& instead, blew my load prematurely:nervous:)...xoxoxo

:lol:

I can relate...
Hahaha sure afro. You're probably one of the more tech-savvy members on here - or well, in the gaming part at least.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As always guys take everything you read with a large pinch of salt, even Cerny's comments.

Not only do these things change constantly right up until final manufacture (remember the memory stuff this gen?), but anyone who actually knows what they are talking about will put out red herrings as not to piss of the people they are getting info from. Everyone else are clueless or mostly fake ITKs :lol:

Speculation is fun, but don't fall into the trap of arguing about this stuff when the 'news' of what M$ are doing next drops.